• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tunes have Changed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

petethetim

An odd title I hear you say ,but bear with me & I shall explain I spoke with several hardened MSTS users on Thursday & Friday evening of last when they had just taken Delivery of EA's New RAIL SIMULATOR & they all assured me that they would never or rarely ever use MSTS again.

On speaking with two of them today, they have now vowed to start using The old crock as one of them refereed to it once again & I am told a third has his on EBAY for sale.

So this certainly is a change of tune ;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

class 313

Established Member
At this moment in time, I would say MSTS is better. Why? Well the amount of content that is open to MSTS. But when we start seeing more and more 3rd party and official add ons and stuff like that there will be a lot of MSTS boxes in the bin I reckon.

Daniel

Established Member
I would imagine the "change of tune" from many people is as we all knew the included activites were... not very good etc, and the sim had bugs. However, many people were waiting for the dev pack to start their own work and patches from RSD... now we hear there's a month until the dev pack is released, many are just putting the box back down and blowing the thin coating of dust from the MSTS part of their HD's...

Craig

Established Member
From what I've heard Rail Simulator sounds like a bit of a lazy attempt at making money.

One mistake I've been shown is on the GW line, how can they just forget to recreate Airport Junction? Not exactly a professional product..

Daniel

Established Member
Indeed. IMO it was churned out to generate quick revenue in the slump before christmas, the profits from which will be used to finalise the best sellers for christmas.

Dave A

From what I've heard Rail Simulator sounds like a bit of a lazy attempt at making money.

Spot on there!

People who thought it would be better than MSTS straight away though need their heads checking out in my opinion. MSTS is only where it is today thanks to YEARS of hard work by the community, and nothing is going to change that overnight, especially Rail Simulator, which can't even get past the problems it was shipped with...

petethetim

Spot on there!

People who thought it would be better than MSTS straight away though need their heads checking out in my opinion. MSTS is only where it is today thanks to YEARS of hard work by the community, and nothing is going to change that overnight, especially Rail Simulator, which can't even get past the problems it was shipped with...

Here Here!!

Metroland

Established Member
Well yes, look at the default S&C in MSTS (total crap) compared to later efforts. These things always live and die on third party additions, and it's far to early to see how KRS will pan out with regards to that. I think it's a bit fickle though to Ebay something that clearly is going to be different animal in a year or so...

petethetim

Well yes, look at the default S&C in MSTS (total crap) compared to later efforts. These things always live and die on third party additions, and it's far to early to see how KRS will pan out with regards to that. I think it's a bit fickle though to Ebay something that clearly is going to be different animal in a year or so...

I totally agree with you in fact I would go as far as to say all 6 default routes were total rubbish , but from what I am reading now user manipulation is not going to be as easy as first thought & at one stage EA had even considered charging a lenience fee for anyone wanting to make any alterations or additional items, thus enabling them to get their cut

Waiting in some far corner of the country for a 37
Spot on there!

KRS out of box is far better from MSTS out of the box. MSTS has been the main simulator for a good number of years so loads has been created KRS has been out for about 5 days. I'm sure more miles of track has been laid in the route editor of KRS in the first 5 days than it was in MSTS...

With the new MSTS just round the corner which should beat both hands down I'm not sure how many people will get into creating stuff for KRS knowing it will only be of use for the next 8 months or so... However KRS is currently the best train simulator IMO its route editor is far easier to use than the MSTS version. The only problem until the developer tools are released there is no way of creating shape and texture files everything else is probably possible be playing around with the all the .bin/.luc/.xml files if you have the time to play around...

class 313

Established Member
KRS out of box is far better from MSTS out of the box. MSTS has been the main simulator for a good number of years so loads has been created KRS has been out for about 5 days. I'm sure more miles of track has been laid in the route editor of KRS in the first 5 days than it was in MSTS...

With the new MSTS just round the corner which should beat both hands down I'm not sure how many people will get into creating stuff for KRS knowing it will only be of use for the next 8 months or so... However KRS is currently the best train simulator IMO its route editor is far easier to use than the MSTS version. The only problem until the developer tools are released there is no way of creating shape and texture files everything else is probably possible be playing around with the all the .bin/.luc/.xml files if you have the time to play around...

Then again, Trainz is far easier in creating routes than KRS. But thats a good point about the new MSTS. But I guess time will tell.

Meld

Been off the net for a couple of days and had time to reflect - My previous comments still stand, but have decided to say nowt as the saying goes as it goes on deaf ears anyway. Even on the OFFICIAL forum with that many posts having been deleted. Luca not having a go you personally but the moderation policy over there sucks. Plus all the non commital answers. As has been said Kuju / RSD / EA are big boys and should take it on the chin, but the censorship of the forum proves they cant.

I've played a little more with the sim and can see promise in it,and look forward to seeing its progress but I'm going to keep my trap shut - I don't intend there to be any flame wars about a substandard piece of software and that is my final comment. Its not worth all the hassle.

I'm gonna give it a little time to see what develops but it looks like being months as opposed to weeks so you won't here anything about the Sim for a while from me.

Established Member
Theres a 158 for KRS soon anyway so you wait it will come and more things and other stuff!.

pedned

Its been out - what, a week?
MSTS wasn't this good after only a week.
As has been previously said, give it a year or two and get some addons etc. and it will be a lot better than MSTS.

And personally, apart for the lack of traction and routes to play with.
It beats MSTS by miles.

1D53

Established Member
MSTS at release was rubbish. Who can honestly say they still play the original s&c. Aside from the bugs Rail Sim is already a playable game. Community addon's will make it fantastic.

petethetim

The only thing is they have not learnt that much from other Sim's failings & lets face it it was delayed by a year & it still looks like a rush realise , I dread to think what it would have looked & preformed like last November

Established Member
Oddly. My Rail Simulator is the a so called 'one of its kind' , It has no bugs or errors in it:D. The MTU PC at the rear of my HST sounds like a real one departing<D.

1D53

Established Member
How odd! The bugs are there for me but they don't take too much away from the game unless its the points etc playing up. The lack of approach control is crazy, especially at Didcot, 125 then next thing you have the feather and a 70 divergence!

class 313

Established Member
Oddly. My Rail Simulator is the a so called 'one of its kind' , It has no bugs or errors in it:D. The MTU PC at the rear of my HST sounds like a real one departing<D.

I don't see how, the HST's only have one soundset, and thats the Valenta. You may think its powering on the rear because it just idles i.e not making much noise ;)

No offense Pete, but what is with the almost militant KRS hate? it's not like someone has forced you to buy it. If you don't like it, don't buy it!

Established Member
No offense Pete, but what is with the almost militant KRS hate? it's not like someone has forced you to buy it. If you don't like it, don't buy it!

Well it isnt hatrid with it. Its just some people might still prefer MSTS. I enjoy playing KRS alot , MSTS in my opinion has been put into storage on my comp.

Dave A

:lol: I don't believe that for a second. Your seriously telling me that Kuju made thousands of one copy, and one of another that you happen to have... :lol: :roll:

But that's the thing, we may not have been forced into buying it, but we have been tricked. I guarantee that if everyone knew about these errors before hand, most probably wouldn't of bought it in the first place. And because the majority of people can't return it, they're stuck with it!

Established Member
:lol: I don't believe that for a second. Your seriously telling me that Kuju made thousands of one copy, and one of another that you happen to have... :lol: :roll:

Tis true. Although I now know why theres no noise out the rear power car for everyone else(:D).

petethetim

I Don't hate the new Sim , but there was so much anticipation it can be nothing but a disappointment , & lets face its basically things that should have been sorted out in the 11 months the product was delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.