• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Turbostar 170 Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nath9425

Well I must say I have been looking forward to this for ages and it is a Cracking Train!!

Everything is just right. It sounds fantastic and works a treat.

Well done once again BRN ;)

:D You've done us all proud!

T

Tom

Hmm...

Looks good but what's the point of saying "real driver verified" seeing as all the trains on there are ...

thefab444

Established Member
The person doing the announcements is a bit chavvy...

Smokin' is not permittttid on any powrt of dis chrain.

Sounds like a bad impression of the 'one' 317/321/360 guy!

JS

T

Tom

I quite agree.

We should get our very own Celia Drummond to do them, erm, sorry, thefab442.

Reece Bolton

I do appologise, I tend to stutter a bit sometimes. It was in testing but we released it with the train because we thought it fit in with the diagram on NWM.

Also it's not chavvy, I just have quite a strong cockney accent. Which unfortunately disrupts pronounciation sometimes. It seems to upset people because they think I sound chavvy. Which i'm not, as I said I have a cockney accent and sometimes its stronger than other times depending on who I have been with or talking too.

T

Tom

Hmm... fair enough.

You should get thefab442 to do them though, he is an excellent announcer.

T

Tom

OK, on the 170 diagram, at Whitminster. Haven't heard the buzzer yet so haven't departed. Pushing 6 sounds like I'm trying to push an empty hole!

nath9425

*Laughs* - It would actually be nice to hear thefab442 do some announcements for the trains then possibly get them intergrated into diagrams using the .Announce command.

I've noticed the run sound between 40-50mph (The little wine) usually can also be heard on a 168. Plus, I don't know if it is different on the 170 but usually on the 168 that sound continues all the way while the train is accelerating!! Iv'e heard that sound at 90mph before :shock:

But it is a fabulous train! And the EMG brakes work well as well - Long story!

Reece Bolton

Is it really *that* quiet in real life though?

Yes it is that quiet in real life. I know as I recorded it. They vary throughout the range. The 170/4 has quite a crunch to it. The 170/3 has more of a buzz in it. If you don't like the buzzer, contact Bombardier and tell them.

if you don't like it, don't drive it :)

T

Tom

Reece, any chance of uploading the original recording so we can have a listen?

AlexS

Established Member
That's normally what it does when it's accelerating.

Dunno what it is with guards buzzers gents, but the one on the 156 originally was fantastic, and since then they've been becoming less audible.

I've been a regular traveller on 170/3 units for years and they don't sound anything like that in the cab - that sounds far more like DSD pedal!

The announcement isn't a bad idea, I suppose - but you need to become a Brummy!

thefab444

Established Member
The announcement isn't a bad idea, I suppose - but you need to become a Brummy!

Quite often though, regional accents aren't used. Take the Merseyrail 507/508 announcements, you've got Julie of Electrostar fame on their. "This train is for... Birkenhead Central. Callingat! Brombrrrraaaa Rake, East-ham Rake, Spitttul." When really, "EY EY EY, DIS IS YER BEEEEERRKENHED SERVICE" would be more appropiate. :)

Reece Bolton

For Liam,

Its the grinding or singing of the rails during high speed, it happens a lot on high speed MU's. Have a listen next time your on one, make sure your on the newest track though.

unless your talking about the fans?

Reece Bolton

I think its part of the turbos. I maybe wrong but as far as I know thats what it is. I have a few mates who drive them and thats what i've been told. Unless I have remembered wrong but thats what I can remember.

T

Tom

In response to your deleted post DS, I don't think it's fair to let an inaccurate train go out. I am seriously not convinced that the "buzzer" used is actually the buzzer from what I recall when travelling on 170/3s myself when they were with South West Trains. Judging from what others have said, the "buzzer" is in fact the DSD pedal.

Turbostar

Fine, watch this space, recordings will be posted tomorrow, just to prove to you lot they're genuine, ok!!! End of!!!:angry3:

T

Tom

I look forward to it.

On another note, as I said before, I believe SWT had 170/3s, and my contact who is an ex-170 driver himself says "As an ex-170 driver - I can tell you it was like the DSD pedal buzzer/bleeper. It was one of our complaints about them".

I shouldn't have to waste my time doing this but to prove you all wrong here is the orignal recordings;

First one is a single buzz note I did in the depot;
http://www.bverailnetwork.co.uk/my_space/buzzer170_real.mp3

Second is a general recording;
http://www.bverailnetwork.co.uk/my_space/right_away.mp3

Third is the dead mans;
http://www.bverailnetwork.co.uk/my_space/DSD_pedal.mp3

I can't believe how much you moan over something thats free, I would fully understand if you paid for it. Just remember all units sound different.

But please, instead of slagging off BVERN and TSC on posts of released trains, just create a thread for it.

T

Tom

So, Zane, are you saying that the sound varies even among subclass, and if so, which part of the /3 subclass were you recording?

And, erm, just create a thread for it... this is a thread for the class 170 Turbostar is it not?

EDIT: Having listened to them more carefully, is there a chance of having the general recording amplified for the buzzer noises and provided as an alternative as although it may or not be 'realistic', it certainly sounds far better than what is provided with the unit currently.

No, a thread called. 'Slag BVERN & TSC here'

And no not subclasses I'm talking about different units like I said. For example 170300 and 170301 there will always be something that sounds slightly different. Buzzers are completely variable and can be different in each cab!

T

Tom

170300, never heard or seen of that one and nor has thejunction!

To be fair you are probably correct but I still feel that you should offer alternative buzzers as you have done with the horns on the 170 unit. As I say, my contact used to drive 170301-308 and 392 before they were withdrawn and claims that it was a 'beep' that sounded very much akin to the DSD and I can't particularly see them changing unless TPE got bored. Also in this world of computerised technology I believe the only way of obscuring or modifying the sound would be covering the speaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.