• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TV Advert using double arrow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Apologies if this has another thread - I couldn't immediately see one. A TV advert is running at the moment promoting rail travel and ends with the double-arrow symbol being shown, but with no other sponsor/responsible body being identified. Who is behind this advert, I wonder - a consortium of TOCs, the government or another body/group?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
On another thread it says it's an RDG (NR+TOCs) advert with GBR Transition Team support/sponsorship.
No doubt there will be more like it.
Looks good to me.

Trainbike46

Established Member
And they say its such a recognisable logo... :rolleyes:
I mean, the logo is very recognisable as representing the railway

but of course, in our current system that leaves rather a lot of organisations that could be running the campaign

relatedly, the campaign for better transport also made a video to advertise travelling by rail:

funnily enough, they're using the same "nothing beats being there" slogan

Last edited:

Intercity110

On Moderation
I mean, the logo is very recognisable as representing the railway

but of course, in our current system that leaves rather a lot of organisations that could be running it

relatedly, the campaign for better transport also made a video to advertise travelling by rail:

funnily enough, they're using the same "nothing beats being there" slogan
They say you can ‘grab a bite to eat‘ in that advertisement, but only one of the trains shown had a buffet car, and that was the HST

Deepgreen

Established Member
And they say its such a recognisable logo... :rolleyes:
Yes, it iS very familiar, but as it represented the long-defunct British Railways/British Rail, it's not an unreasonable question to ask as to who, of the several potential bodies, has adopted it for this particular advert.

DanNCL

Established Member
I saw it the other day and wondered if it had anything to do with GBR.

It isn’t getting its message across very well; I didn’t realise it was a rail advert until the double arrow appeared at the very end!

It’s a step in the right direction but they need to get the advert itself up to scratch. People need to know straight away what their watching an advert for, not go “oh so that’s what it’s for” at the very end.

12LDA28C

Established Member
Yes, it iS very familiar, but as it represented the long-defunct British Railways/British Rail, it's not an unreasonable question to ask as to who, of the several potential bodies, has adopted it for this particular advert.

Of course the double arrow has been used to represent 'National Rail' ever since privatisation anyway, on station signage, roadsigns, ticket stock and so on. It's not as if it hasn't been seen for the last 25 years...

Deepgreen

Established Member
Of course the double arrow has been used to represent 'National Rail' ever since privatisation anyway, on station signage, roadsigns, ticket stock and so on. It's not as if it hasn't been seen for the last 25 years...
YES, we all know that, but in this era of pseudo-renationalisation, the public's awareness of the status of National Rail and other, emerging, bodies (such as GBR, which I would hope would use the logo) is probably blurred at best. 'National Rail' is a rather amorphous body - it doesn't run the trains or the stations, or carry out maintenance or projects - it may have the coveted logo, but it's a relatively peripheral entity compared with the TOCs and NR. Most people probably only know it from journey planning/ticketing enquiries. I have no problem with the advert itself but I just wondered where its roots lie.

Ken H

On Moderation
Who owns the trademark?

The exile

Established Member
I saw it the other day and wondered if it had anything to do with GBR.

It isn’t getting its message across very well; I didn’t realise it was a rail advert until the double arrow appeared at the very end!

It’s a step in the right direction but they need to get the advert itself up to scratch. People need to know straight away what their watching an advert for, not go “oh so that’s what it’s for” at the very end.
Not necessarily- I suspect that the “curiosity factor” may well hold more people’s attention for longer - meaning more of the subliminal message goes in.

LAX54

Established Member
BR was governement owned and the DfT retained the rights to the BR branding on privatisation. This is why the double arrow is still used on station & road signs, and by National Rail. TOC's can also apply for a licence to use the double arrow.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Not necessarily- I suspect that the “curiosity factor” may well hold more people’s attention for longer - meaning more of the subliminal message goes in.
It was immediately obvious to me that, whomever was behind it, it was promoting rail travel. I think you're right about the subliminality of it - the rapid-fire images of people enjoying themselves on various trains is hard to misinterpret.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
I saw the advert this morning,it reminded me of the later intercity ones. It’s just what the railway needs,a good positive advertisement that is not just TOC specific.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
It is quite an enjoyable advert, except the music, which is a bit modern for my taste.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
YES, we all know that, but in this era of pseudo-renationalisation, the public's awareness of the status of National Rail and other, emerging, bodies (such as GBR, which I would hope would use the logo) is probably blurred at best. 'National Rail' is a rather amorphous body - it doesn't run the trains or the stations, or carry out maintenance or projects - it may have the coveted logo, but it's a relatively peripheral entity compared with the TOCs and NR. Most people probably only know it from journey planning/ticketing enquiries. I have no problem with the advert itself but I just wondered where its roots lie.
Are you not over thinking this? I would imagine most people see the double arrow and think "railway!" which is surely all it needs to achieve in this context? Indeed I'd be more surprised if they thought "British Rail" or "National Rail" to be quite honest!

Bedpan

Established Member
I think a huge number of people, even many in their 20s or younger, still think of "British Rail" as a generic term for the railways. Just as the term "Electricity Board" or "Gas Board" still seems to be in common parlance, even being used used by the media, despite the fact that both became defunct after privatisation over 30 years ago.

XAM2175

Established Member
Are you not over thinking this? I would imagine most people see the double arrow and think "railway!" which is surely all it needs to achieve in this context? Indeed I'd be more surprised if they thought "British Rail" or "National Rail" to be quite honest!
Quite so.

It is quite an enjoyable advert, except the music, which is a bit modern for my taste.
Somehow I don't think that you're the target market ;)

geoffk

Established Member
Just noticed this TV advert although apparently it's been going since April! I normally fast-forward commercials, mute them or make a cup of tea but I made the effort to watch this one.

Promoting rail in a positive light on TV is welcome but the rail network is hardly in a good place to benefit from traffic growth, even without the current wave of industrial action. Readers' comments in the on-line magazine Rail Advent are all too predictable. I was wondering "why now"?

Last edited:

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Apologies if this has another thread - I couldn't immediately see one. A TV advert is running at the moment promoting rail travel and ends with the double-arrow symbol being shown, but with no other sponsor/responsible body being identified. Who is behind this advert, I wonder - a consortium of TOCs, the government or another body/group?
Still being aired now (August 2023). The Rail Delivery Group must be using up a fair old whack of its annual advertising budget on this campaign.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Pretty sure it is a GBRTT (Great British Railways Transition Team) led campaign.
Seems that it may be a joint collaboration according to the following source...

Extract...
The new marketing campaign, entitled “Nothing Beats Being There” and devised by agency Accomplice, is being run by the Rail Delivery Group in collaboration with Britain’s train operating companies, Network Rail and Great British Railways Transition Team.

Status
Not open for further replies.