• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TVM Block Marker Boards on the Elizabeth Line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MOONY

Apologies if this has been raised before. At the departure end of each Elizabeth Line station there is a TVM BMB but immediately in advance of it it there is another BMB annotated as "CA" which I presume to mean Co- actor.

Could some kind person explain the significance of this arrangement please?

Many thanks.

Moony

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I would presume the CA marker block is there in case a driver has to drive their train through the core manually, to assist them with their stopping position. It does seem a bit of an anachronism, though, given that you are inherently talking about in-cab signalling which shouldn't require any sighting!

zwk500

Veteran Member
Apologies if this has been raised before. At the departure end of each Elizabeth Line station there is a TVM BMB but immediately in advance of it it there is another BMB annotated as "CA" which I presume to mean Co- actor.

Could some kind person explain the significance of this arrangement please?

Many thanks.

Moony
On a technical point, Crossrail doesn't use TVM but a Siemens CBTC system. Although yes the Block Markers are identical.

From the cab ride video, I would guess that the actual board is located at the place by which trains must stop, however because the board is mounted low down for clearance, a co-acting board is provided behind it so that drivers can see the Block Marker Number clearly.

Railsigns

Established Member
There's a photograph of a co-acting block marker on this webpage.

CBTC block marker number XR336 on the Crossrail Eastbound line at Custom House station. A smaller 'co-acting' block marker, numbered XR336CA, is provided a short distance beyond for the benefit of drivers of trains standing very close to the primary marker.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Argh. Too many abbreviations!
Apologies:
TVM - Transmission Voie-Machine (French in-cab signalling, works through coded track circuits)
BMB - Block Marker Board (replaces signals for in-cab signalling)
CA - Co-acting (as stated)
CBTC - Communications Based Train Control (A technical subset of in-cab signalling over radio)

kevin_roche

I would presume the CA marker block is there in case a driver has to drive their train through the core manually
That is correct. The failure mode is to use ETCS with the driver manually controlling the train when CBTC is not working.

Status
Not open for further replies.