• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TVM Leeds Question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisC

Established Member
Are there any ticket machines at Leeds station that will sell tickets from another station?
Just wondered because I’m going to be in Leeds next month and will have a 7 Day West Yorkshire ticket loaded onto an M Card. If I decided any day to travel beyond the boundary could I buy a ticket from a machine at Leeds before setting off rather than have to go to the ticket office. For example if I take a trip up to Carlisle I would want to buy a return from Keighley rather than Leeds to save a couple of pounds.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ChrisC

Established Member
yes all the LNER machines will do that, I also believe that the Northern machines offer the same facility.

Thanks that’s great. I know you can in many places but there are a few TOCs where the machines don’t allow it. Southern used to but I believe their new machines won’t do it.

Muzer

Established Member
Bear in mind the LNER TVMs require you to select a valid itinerary on a journey planner, so if you're buying a ticket quite late in a day from a boundary station from which there are no more possible trains to your destination (even if a through non-stop train will serve it), it will not let you purchase that. I've been caught out by that on more than one occasion in the past (one reason I hate those machines so much).

cactustwirly

Established Member
Bear in mind the LNER TVMs require you to select a valid itinerary on a journey planner, so if you're buying a ticket quite late in a day from a boundary station from which there are no more possible trains to your destination (even if a through non-stop train will serve it), it will not let you purchase that. I've been caught out by that on more than one occasion in the past (one reason I hate those machines so much).

As a result it takes a lot of faffing about compared to other TVMs, I personally would use a Northern one.

robbeech

Established Member
I like the concept of the LNER machines for this. Most regular passengers will benefit from this as it goes some way to ensuring they have the right ticket for the journey they want to make. An option to skip this section and just buy a ticket would be nice for those who know what they want or don’t know what train they want.

Wallsendmag

Established Member
I like the concept of the LNER machines for this. Most regular passengers will benefit from this as it goes some way to ensuring they have the right ticket for the journey they want to make. An option to skip this section and just buy a ticket would be nice for those who know what they want or don’t know what train they want.
It exists but only for a few "popular" tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.