• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TVM pre paid ticket card checking

Status
Not open for further replies.

benbristow

Bit of a thing that caught me out the other day.

Usually I buy my tickets from Hawkhead (Paisley Canal line) to Glasgow Central via either the ScotRail app (m-tickets), or via the ScotRail Website/Trainpal where I collect a paper ticket using a collection reference. I usually pay online using my Monzo Virtual card, which is a digital card that doesn't actually exist physically. When I collect my tickets at the machine at the station it makes me put a card in for validation, and literally any card seems to work.

I've never used Chiltern Railways but Topcashback seem to be offering cashback through them (even though it's a measly few pence on my cheap tickets) so I thought I'd give them a go out of curiosity - as you can buy tickets from any TOC. Bought my ticket no problem using my virtual card.

When I got to the station however I went through the whole card check rigmarole and the machine complained it wasn't the card used to purchase the tickets. Never had this problem before.

The conductor was sympathetic and said to just ask at the other end (Glasgow Central) but as it was a Saturday night around 7/8pm no-one was there. Ended up being sneaky and using the lift on the platform side that skips the barriers completely (I'd bought a ticket so I don't feel bad about this).

Are there any other TOCs that seem to maintain this policy? It seems utterly bizarre to me.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Bit of a thing that caught me out the other day.

Usually I buy my tickets from Hawkhead (Paisley Canal line) to Glasgow Central via either the ScotRail app (m-tickets), or via the ScotRail Website/Trainpal where I collect a paper ticket using a collection reference. I usually pay online using my Monzo Virtual card, which is a digital card that doesn't actually exist physically. When I collect my tickets at the machine at the station it makes me put a card in for validation, and literally any card seems to work.

I've never used Chiltern Railways but Topcashback seem to be offering cashback through them (even though it's a measly few pence on my cheap tickets) so I thought I'd give them a go out of curiosity - as you can buy tickets from any TOC. Bought my ticket no problem using my virtual card.

When I got to the station however I went through the whole card check rigmarole and the machine complained it wasn't the card used to purchase the tickets. Never had this problem before.

The conductor was sympathetic and said to just ask at the other end (Glasgow Central) but as it was a Saturday night around 7/8pm no-one was there. Ended up being sneaky and using the lift on the platform side that skips the barriers completely (I'd bought a ticket so I don't feel bad about this).

Are there any other TOCs that seem to maintain this policy? It seems utterly bizarre to me.
It's down to the retailer. Some retailers set purchases to any card collection, others set them to be fixed to the card used for purchasing. Sometimes it varies depending on how much they 'trust' your account.

XAM2175

Established Member
Ooh, but others have! Here's one from yesterday:

And a discussion from earlier this month:

And another one from earlier this month:

And one from May, for good measure:

benbristow

Strange with the first one you quoted which was ScotRail, never had any trouble booking tickets with them myself (although the cashback tracking is quite unreliable, only worked once and that was for a season ticket).

Sounds like Watershed was correct saying "Sometimes it varies depending on how much they 'trust' your account" as I live in Scotland so use them very often.

Status
Not open for further replies.