• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Twelve potential new railway stations in Wales

Status
Not open for further replies.

8A Rail

Established Member
I would have thought that Chester has a more pressing need for an additional station. It seems that these Welsh politicians live on another planet.
Of course they do in this instance as Chester is actually in England and does not come part of their remit.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Llanigraham

On Moderation
The traincrew I've spoken to are all signing from the same hymn sheet about having turnaround times slashed.

Gareth,
You suggested they should stop there as an experiment to see if it was possible.
I stated that there is no need to do that as the system in use at Machy allows them to run different timetables and stops using the "backroom" system. Knowing the staff at Machy Box I am quite sure this has already been done, along with many other scenarios.
Whether any changes fits in with ATW shift and manning patterns is a totally different matter.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Of course they do in this instance as Chester is actually in England and does not come part of their remit.

There's the paradox.
WG DOES have responsibility for most services through Chester as the cross-border franchise is not being split.
What's more, the Deeside proposals are linked to the joint cross-border business and planning groups, including things like the Halton Curve.
It works both ways, with industries like Airbus and Toyota being in Wales but with a significant chunk of their workforce coming from England (Chester, Wirral).
Vauxhall at Ellesmere Port is an example of travel the other way.
My two neighbours work in Liverpool and Wilmslow.

Yet another irony is that a station in "Welsh" Saltney, would be just in England, much like Knighton on the Central Wales line.
Much as it offends Plaid enthusiasts and dike-builders, it is a single economy.

Gareth Marston

Established Member
There's the paradox.
WG DOES have responsibility for most services through Chester as the cross-border franchise is not being split.
What's more, the Deeside proposals are linked to the joint cross-border business and planning groups, including things like the Halton Curve.
It works both ways, with industries like Airbus and Toyota being in Wales but with a significant chunk of their workforce coming from England (Chester, Wirral).
Vauxhall at Ellesmere Port is an example of travel the other way.
My two neighbours work in Liverpool and Wilmslow.

Yet another irony is that a station in "Welsh" Saltney, would be just in England, much like Knighton on the Central Wales line.
Much as it offends Plaid enthusiasts and dike-builders, it is a single economy.

Regular Commuters from Newtown are approx:

Aberystwyth = 3
Machynlleth = 3
Welshpool= 20
Shrewsbury = 40
Birmingham =2

Yet Ceredigion CC made huge fuss about needing trains to get commuters into Aberystwyth from the Upper Severn Valley...

We have some people from Shrewsbury who commute here maybe 3/4.

At least if they reinstate Offa's Dyke LNW-GWR Joint will be east of it!
Geography/History test here.

me123

Established Member
Welsh Labour are very good at producing grandiose 'plans' just before an election which are then filed away and forgotten. How many of these will be built? St Mellons maybe, Bow Street if an additional passing loop is constructed, and perhaps one in the north to pacify the natives, but don't hold your breath.

Exactly. Look at the hilarious "proposal" for the Metro Goggled Cymru.

_89372779_north-wales-metro-map.jpg

No, the image has actually loaded properly, they genuinely didn't name most of the stops on the list.

kieron

Established Member
There's the paradox.
Arriva Trains Wales have responsibility for 40-odd% of departures from Chester, although they do run more services which go into Chester and out on another line than Virgin do. Most of what they do is defined by a franchise agreed with an English minister the London-based SRA. They don't run any trains on the line through Bache, of course.

While the Welsh Government have given NR a lot of money to build things in Cheshire over the last few years, it doesn't mean that they have any obligation to pay for anything else anyone wants built there, or that they are the only organisation who could be persuaded to pay for a new station there.

Personally, I don't see a mention of money being associated with this shortlist, so I'm not too concerned about what is or isn't on it.

Last edited:

TeaTrain

I have just been reading this thread with interest. I was a guard for ATW on the Holyhead- Chester -Man Pic line. And a week would not go by that we would hear about grand plans to re-open the line for Llangefni. Not many people use the request stops along the island as it is bar probably Valley and Llanfairpwll in the summer or school runs. It would be interesting to see how Train Planning would work. I'm curious about which stock would be used as a shuttle to go there and back. My guess would be something similar to the Blaenau Ffestiniog 150. A bit old but does the job! They cannot even get it right now with the mainline!

I had a look at that Metro which carries over into North Wales! I will be keeping an eye on the events that unfold! Glad I got out when I did!

PR1Berske

Established Member
If it ever happens, I guess that "Deeside Industrial Park" station is unlikely to be also called "Parc Diwydiannol Glannau Dyfrdwy".....

Hwnt52

If it ever happens, I guess that "Deeside Industrial Park" station is unlikely to be also called "Parc Diwydiannol Glannau Dyfrdwy".....

Since Deeside Industrial Park is in Wales and the station will be in Wales it will undoubtedly also be called Parc Diwydiannol Glannau Dyfrdwy. That is how Flintshire Council refers to it in its bilingual literature.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
At least if they reinstate Offa's Dyke LNW-GWR Joint will be east of it!
Geography/History test here.

The course of the dyke is rather vague up here.
The Offa's Dyke Path tends to follow the Clwyd ridge rather than the real dyke (what's left of it), which is at mid-level further east (and with Wat's Dyke further east still).
I'm east of the path and west of the dyke, I think!
The most northerly bit of Offa's Dyke I know of is at Treuddyn, roughly followed by the old Wrexham-Brymbo-Coed Talon-Mold line.

PR1Berske

Established Member
The BBC has coverage of an announcement by Economy Minister Ken Skates listing twelve sites (from a list of 46) under consideration for new railway stations:

• Cardiff: Ely Mill/Victoria Park
  • Cardiff: Newport Road/Rover Way
  • Cardiff: St Mellons
  • Newport: Llanwern
  • Swansea: Cockett
  • Swansea: Landore
  • St Clears
  • Deeside Industrial Park/Northern Gateway
  • North Wrexham
  • South Wrexham
  • Llangefni
  • Bow Street

Articles in English and Welsh

Llangefni's inclusion is slightly surprising, as it requires reopening a branch line to get to the station. I thought things had died a death after the evaluation done seven years ago put a £25M price tag on it. It seems there's life in the plan yet!

(Or could some of the list be there just to make voters happy in the run up to the forthcoming elections? Hm...)
One year on, and there's some hits and some misses. The greatest number of stations proposed by TfW are in the Cardiff Bay Metro scheme, and Bow Street has new station award funding.

Merseytravel once pencilled in support for Deeside, though things have for very quiet since.

frodshamfella

Established Member
I would have thought that Chester has a more pressing need for an additional station. It seems that these Welsh politicians live on another planet.

Agree Chester is so congested with traffic, some more stations in the area would help. Appreciate some might be over the border in England.

krus_aragon

Established Member
One year on, and there's some hits and some misses. The greatest number of stations proposed by TfW are in the Cardiff Bay Metro scheme, and Bow Street has new station award funding.

Merseytravel once pencilled in support for Deeside, though things have for very quiet since.

It seems reasonable for the majority of the new stations to be on the infrastructure they've just obtained control over.

Status
Not open for further replies.