• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Two-day trip down to London

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicolaboo

I've been visiting the capital a few times a year recently and this time decided to go for a stay over.
I got a nice hotel backing onto Earl's Court tube station. So really well situated and only £44 inc breakfast (but I left before they served).
This is the report from day one (Wednesday) and I'll put up the second one when I've finished it.

1642799465542.png

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
A big feast of variety there! Curiosity has me needing to ask, did you record your LU journeys?

£44 for a hotel next to Earls Court is incredible value, but the question is was it a decent place to sleep?

johntea

Established Member
£44 for a hotel next to Earls Court is incredible value, but the question is was it a decent place to sleep?

I was planning to stay in London for a couple of days next week myself (just doing a day trip now) and found plenty of availability in all the central areas with either Premier Inn / Travelodge for around the £40 - £50 mark

Guessing demand for hotels midweek is pretty dead in January (especially since a lot of business travel has dried up in favour of remote working these days) and there isn’t exactly a shortage of them in London that’s for sure! :D

nicolaboo

Be interesting to see what the cost was and if you managed to save cash by buying specific tickets?
Day one.
To Crewe: £4.70
Crewe to London: £20.50
Off peak day pass zones 1-6: £13.90
Mileage: 360
Hotel £44

Day two.
Anytime day pass zones 1-6: £19.60
London to Manchester: £25.70
Mileage: 366

Total: £128.70

Day two travels here.
1642863498922.png

Ken H

On Moderation
Did you plan it or did you just go with the flow?
If you planned it did it go wrong at all?

nicolaboo

Thought Epsom was outside the zone 1-6 Travelcard. Just sayin'...
Erm maybe I got on the wrong train!
Did you plan it or did you just go with the flow?
If you planned it did it go wrong at all?
I just fell onto which ever train was going out next when I was around Clapham, as there's always a train coming. For some of the other areas I planned a couple in front, just to avoid being stranded on a cold platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.