• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Two Trains On The Same Line?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DazDude

Hey all, came across a Youtube video a few days ago and it got me wondering..
Link

Is this sort of thing typically allowed as I always understood that there is only ever allowed one train in a signalled section of line at any one time as obviously stops collisions happening...?

Daz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

asylumxl

Established Member
I'm not sure about the correct terminology, but some lines will have "permissive signalling" which will allow a train to enter an occupied section of track (usually at reduced speed). This is often used at locations where trains often join or split.

But i think the video is faked.

Last edited:

andyb2706

Okay!!!!....not sure whether it is still allowed now, but in the past you would have bank engines that would follow freight trains up steep gradients to give extra humph to get up the hill and once the train had got to the top the bank engine would power down and let the freight go on its merry way.

I don't think this steam engine was doing that with this diesel loco hauled train! That video is an unusual sight and the move must have been done with special dispensation as no doubt it was on the national rail network.

Interesting video.

ryan125hst

Established Member
It looks like that video has been digitally edited. Look at the second camera angle. If you look just ahead of Bittern, you will see a line moving into the distance and will see the position of the plants and overhead live wires move slightly. It's very good and very convincing- I wouldn't know how to do that so well! Definitely fake though!

andyb2706

I'm not sure about the correct terminology, but some lines will have "permissive signalling" which will allow a train to enter an occupied section of track (usually at reduced speed). This is often used at locations where trains often join or split.

But i think the video is faked.

Permissive working is only allowed where authorised in the Sectional Appendix and that it is either a platform or passing loop and not on a main line. Also the signaller before allowing another train to enter the permissive section until the first train is at a stand.

You also on certain lines have shunt signals which, depending on the interlocking you may clear before the previous train has passed clear of the section but this only allows the driver to proceed so far and these signals are usually used where the driver needs to gain access to a siding in rear of his train but his train is a bit too long to fit between the points and the main aspect signal.

Don't think that either of these situations apply to this video.

asylumxl

Established Member
Permissive working is only allowed where authorised in the Sectional Appendix and that it is either a platform or passing loop and not on a main line. Also the signaller before allowing another train to enter the permissive section until the first train is at a stand.

You also on certain lines have shunt signals which, depending on the interlocking you may clear before the previous train has passed clear of the section but this only allows the driver to proceed so far and these signals are usually used where the driver needs to gain access to a siding in rear of his train but his train is a bit too long to fit between the points and the main aspect signal.

Don't think that either of these situations apply to this video.

Hence I said it was only in certain locations and usually at reduced speed. Also why I said it was fake.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I sincerely hope that is a fake as suggested, otherwise several people are unlikely to keep their jobs and others are lucky to be alive.

andyb2706

I must say, it does remind me of some of the stories you used to get with Thomas the Tank engine when it was narrated by Ringo Starr.....am I showing my age now? :oops:

DownSouth

Established Member
It looks like that video has been digitally edited. Look at the second camera angle. If you look just ahead of Bittern, you will see a line moving into the distance and will see the position of the plants and overhead live wires move slightly. It's very good and very convincing- I wouldn't know how to do that so well! Definitely fake though!
To my trained eye it looks sloppy.

I could do a far better job of that edit in 15-20 minutes on my iMac at home, if I could be bothered of course!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It's not quite as obvious as it is on the second angle where they did a far worse job of locating the tripod, but have a look at how the smoke clouds from both trains share a nice straight edge!

Screen_Shot_2014_07_10.png

The frame rate is all wrong as well, it is obvious that the footage of the diesel train has been retimed to match the speeds.

Last edited:
I doubt Network Rail would allow those two trains to be that close at that speed. And the clear lines where the smoke cloud ends suggest this as well.

1e10

It's faked. If you follow the area around the second train on the second shot you can see all sorts of weird things going on that shouldn't be.

DownSouth

Established Member
It's faked. If you follow the area around the second train on the second shot you can see all sorts of weird things going on that shouldn't be.
I stopped counting at about 16 clues.

I might try something similar myself just to point out how easy it is. I could probably do a better job with less than 20 minutes of editing.

Baggypants

I stopped counting at about 16 clues.

I might try something similar myself just to point out how easy it is. I could probably do a better job with less than 20 minutes of editing.

oh oh oh, do one where two people on one of those velocipedes is chased by an engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.