• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tyen & Wear Metro develops a hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

djw1981

Established Member
Some of you might have seen that a hole opened up under the tracks at Northumberland Park on the Tyne & wear metro last week. being from that area, and visiting relatives at the weekend, I got this photo - the sainsbury''s car park proving to be a rather well appointed viewing area. The hole is into the top of the old mineshafts that litter the area. The local estimates for stabilisation and track re-opening were December.

The issue seems to have been exacerbated by the 2005 opening of Northumberland park station (an island) which required the inner circle of track to be realigned around the island platform, and thus on this new alignment ran on an area previously not used for track.

1729438775_e6c01737f5.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Coxster

Established Member
Heard about this at work but hadn't seen any shots. Thanks for that :)

djw1981

Established Member
Yeah, turns out the hole was less ddeeep than feared. there is a TSR though.

Craig

Established Member
I heard about this, but it's interesting to see a photo of it.

It's a good job it didn't take too long to fix, last time I had a look at the Jesmond - Manors spur the OHLE had been taken down (in connection with the building work at Northumbria Uni I believe). So unless it's recently been put back up they'd have been a bit stuck for getting trains back to South Gosforth.

Status
Not open for further replies.