• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tyne and Wear Metro : all stations in one day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hst43102

I've been planning to do a trip of all the 60 Metro stations in one day - easily possible to travel through each station but now I'm wondering if it would be possible to alight/board a train at every station.
Has anyone here done anything similar?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class142sbad

I have not done anything similar but the central section will be easy as they come every 6 minutes. So it will only take from South Gosforth - Pelaw about 2 hours (to do all of the stations). But if you want to do the whole system, you will have to start early and finish late. Also depends where you are starting. it is easier to start at a terminus instead of a through station. St James and South Shields are the easiest to do. My calculation is about 12 hours maximum.
What I would do is is start at St james then stop at all of the yellow line stops to South Shields then stay on at south shields to pelaw (Not getting off) then go to South Hylton (not getting off) then stay on at south hylton and get off all stops until fellgate, then stay on until regent centre, then all stops to airport then stay on until you get back to the city centre.
I hope this helps

hst43102

I have not done anything similar but the central section will be easy as they come every 6 minutes. So it will only take from South Gosforth - Pelaw about 2 hours (to do all of the stations). But if you want to do the whole system, you will have to start early and finish late. Also depends where you are starting. it is easier to start at a terminus instead of a through station. St James and South Shields are the easiest to do. My calculation is about 12 hours maximum.
What I would do is is start at St james then stop at all of the yellow line stops to South Shields then stay on at south shields to pelaw (Not getting off) then go to South Hylton (not getting off) then stay on at south hylton and get off all stops until fellgate, then stay on until regent centre, then all stops to airport then stay on until you get back to the city centre.
I hope this helps
I was thinking of doing something almost exactly like that - I also estimated so.ewhere around 12 hours, possibly a little more because of delays but maybe less if peak services are used.

Snex

I haven't checked timings on these but would it not be quicker to go backwards and forwards on the 12 minute sections ie.

Longbenton -> Palmersville -> Four Lane Ends -> Northumberland Park -> Benton etc.

Obviously you'd have to work it out whether it's doable but it's better than waiting 12 minutes at every stop (some you'd probably not want to ie Meadowwell)

hst43102

I haven't checked timings on these but would it not be quicker to go backwards and forwards on the 12 minute sections ie.

Longbenton -> Palmersville -> Four Lane Ends -> Northumberland Park -> Benton etc.

Obviously you'd have to work it out whether it's doable but it's better than waiting 12 minutes at every stop (some you'd probably not want to ie Meadowwell)
I was planning to do something like that, especially on the more remote sections on the branches - might also be a good idea at some stations that you don't want to be hanging around at for too long ie Meadowwell...
Thanks for the advice. I'm not too sure how much I can actually plan with timetables etc beforehand - at the moment it's a bit touch and go whether some trains actually run or not!

Snex

I was planning to do something like that, especially on the more remote sections on the branches - might also be a good idea at some stations that you don't want to be hanging around at for too long ie Meadowwell...
Thanks for the advice. I'm not too sure how much I can actually plan with timetables etc beforehand - at the moment it's a bit touch and go whether some trains actually run or not!

No worries, you could probably work around it on the day really.

Personally if I was doing it, I'd do:

Airport -> Haymarket (Green)
Haymarket -> St James (Yellow)
St James -> Monument (Yellow)

Depending what comes first:

Monument -> South Shields (Yellow)
24 Bus -> Stadium of Light (5 minute walk)
Stadium of Light -> South Hylton (Green)
South Hylton -> Pelaw (Green)

or

Monument -> South Hylton (Green)
South Hylton -> Stadium of Light (Yellow)
24 Bus -> South Shields (Green)
South Shields -> Pelaw (Yellow)

DanNCL

Established Member
Possibly quicker using other methods of transport for parts of the day too. An example itinerary would be:
Airport - South Hylton (Metro)
South Hylton - Sunderland (Metro)
Sunderland - South Shields (Bus)
South Shields - St James via the coast (Metro).

I’ll be quicker not doing the stops in order, instead doing three stops forward one back. For example, doing Airport - Bank Foot - Callerton Parkway - Fawdon - Kingston Park - Regent Centre - Wansbeck Road - South Gosforth should be quicker than doing them all in order and waiting 12 minutes at each stop. Although you don’t want to be trying to change platforms at Ilford Road!

SeanG

Don't forget the shields ferry. If you time it right it can be just as quick to walk/ 19 bus/ metro via North Shields when going to newcastle

Willie Bee

I'll give you a wave when you pass Monkseaton .. I actually live in W/Bay, but Monkseaton is the closest station

Status
Not open for further replies.