• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tyne and Wear Metro - Sunderland Direct disruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ze Random One

Not sure where to post this as the infrastructure is Network Rail, but National Rail services are running OK (in fact Northern ran some extras yesterday to compensate), just T&W metro is affected...

Anyway, Metro services between Pelaw and St Peters have been cancelled for 2 days now due to some sort of electrical fault, and now it appears they are also having trouble sourcing replacement buses this evening.

I know the technology is a bit alien to NR (1.5kV DC), but the kit is pretty new (only 15 years old). Does anyone know what the nature of the fault is, and when it is likely to be fixed?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MetroCar4058

I believe it does not appear on NRS because Metro is not part of the national rail system, that system only covers the mainline train operators.

I remember the last time the supply was disrupted in this area, NR stated that the design of the power supply was not up to their standard, as it was designed and implemented by RailTrack. Metro are aiming for service to run as normal tomorrow, however I would argue the line is not a major priority for NR and if they require parts, as they did last time, there will be a delay due to shipping. I think big questions do need to be answered about the reliability of the power supply in that area.

I assume the bus issue is due to a lack of available drivers, they are however paying for a minibus service. Sundays are usually rather quiet anyhow so it shouldn't cause too much of an issue.

I'm sure Nexus will be raking in the compensation from NR! One point I must raise is the unusual pathway that the social media has followed in portraying the disruption 'No trains Heworth - St Peters' may be confusing for those travelling to South Shields, and the train terminates at Pelaw. I understand that is where the replacement service starts and is the best place to alight, however that could have been better communication on behalf of Metro.

Another quirk of this disruption is that some of the Airport services, at least 112 and 103 continued on to South Shields.

Ze Random One

Would it not be worth subcontracting the OHL work to NexusRail in this case? It's far more in Nexus' interests to keep a good supply of spares than it is for Network Rail.

I'd also question the "metro not a part of National Rail", and say that it is as Mich a part of National Rail as Heathrow Express, or possibly Connect, and that since tickets are inter available between Metro and Northern at Central, Heworth and Sunderland, there is a case that National Rail passengers are directly affected by the lack of Metro.

As to the provision of replacement buses, it's a pity that a standing arrangement can't be made to supplement Go North East bus No. 9 and accept tickets, rather than messing about with replacement services.

MetroCar4058

Would it not be worth subcontracting the OHL work to NexusRail in this case? It's far more in Nexus' interests to keep a good supply of spares than it is for Network Rail.

I think this was once an idea within Nexus, they don't have the resources to do such work and they need to focus on the core network.

ModernRailways

Established Member
Nexus Rail do assist Network Rail. There was a deal made after the major disruption last year where Network Rail had to await the parts being delivered and then installing them whereas it could have been done much quicker going through Nexus.

Established Member
The problem would be that some sort of contract would have to be drawn up between Nexus Rail and Network Rail regarding the ins and outs of the maintenance done on what is Network Rail's assets.

TUC

Established Member
I believe it does not appear on NRS because Metro is not part of the national rail system, that system only covers the mainline train operators.

I remember the last time the supply was disrupted in this area, NR stated that the design of the power supply was not up to their standard, as it was designed and implemented by RailTrack. Metro are aiming for service to run as normal tomorrow, however I would argue the line is not a major priority for NR

Surely there will be contractual responsibilities. Whether it's a priority to Network Rail is frankly irrelevant. They just need to get on and do their job.

As for it being commissioned by Railtrack, frankly that's surely an irrelevance. Just about everything NR operates was inherited from Railtrack.

As with many other issues, Network Rail need to learn they are the servants of their customers.

MetroCar4058

As for it being commissioned by Railtrack, frankly that's surely an irrelevance. Just about everything NR operates was inherited from Railtrack.

I'm almost 100% certain that NR stated that was a reason why the repairs took so long, as it was of an unusual design by Railtrack. Railtrack only existed for 8 years so surely they didn't have that great an impact on new network infrastructure?

Status
Not open for further replies.