• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tyne Dock

Status
Not open for further replies.

SGS

The section between Pelaw and Jarrow Oil Terminal is interesting, as it would have been much easier to allow shared working rather than have it totally segregated. The single track sections between Hebburn and Jarrow and Jarrow and Simonside are what limits more trains being run on the South Shields line, and there is normally only 2 oil trips per day in each direction, which could easily fit in between the Metro services. BR freight used to run to Fawdon and Callerton, so not really sure why BR didn't allow the Metro to use the line between Pelaw and Jarrow.

Re-doubling was apparently on the cards around 2006, but seems to have been dropped as there has been no sign of any work starting.

To me, there seemed to be difficulties with the idea of running the oil tanks over a doubled Metro line. At the Pelaw end, I imagine that a train of empties heading out of Jarrow, waiting at the signal to join the main line at Pelaw, would be blocking both Metro running lines. Similarly at the Jarrow end, when assembling the train of empties (which is very long), there is a lot of shunting around which might involve the train occupying the South Shields-bound line.

One change I was surprised they didn't do on the Tyne Dock line when they restored the curve at Boldon N to Boldon E junction, was to have two tracks in the Green Lane area (which there's seems to be room for), enabling, for example, a train leaving Tyne Dock to wait at Brockley Whins to gain access to the main line towards Gateshead, while another train enters the branch from the Sunderland direction.

SGS.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/stuartstransport/

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JohnCarlson

Re-doubling was apparently on the cards around 2006, but seems to have been dropped as there has been no sign of any work starting.

To me, there seemed to be difficulties with the idea of running the oil tanks over a doubled Metro line. At the Pelaw end, I imagine that a train of empties heading out of Jarrow, waiting at the signal to join the main line at Pelaw, would be blocking both Metro running lines. Similarly at the Jarrow end, when assembling the train of empties (which is very long), there is a lot of shunting around which might involve the train occupying the South Shields-bound line.

One change I was surprised they didn't do on the Tyne Dock line when they restored the curve at Boldon N to Boldon E junction, was to have two tracks in the Green Lane area (which there's seems to be room for), enabling, for example, a train leaving Tyne Dock to wait at Brockley Whins to gain access to the main line towards Gateshead, while another train enters the branch from the Sunderland direction.

SGS.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/stuartstransport/

Yes the shunting at Jarrow would be a problem as things are now although there is still plenty of space to put the loop back at Jarrow which might be used to marshal the train although trains have probably got a lot longer since it was originally built in the 1980's.

Similarly if you take the now redundant footbridge our at Pelaw and use that now redundant footpath for building space The Jarrow line could run alongside the Sunderland- Newcastle line which might eliminate the problem you describe- it wouldl take money though.

I am guessing this must have been around thirty five years ago I remember seeing a plan at the model railway club for the metro into South Shields. It was virtually all single track from Tyne Dock to Pelaw. Coal trains from Westoe Colliery would have run parallel to the metro from Chichester to Tyne Dock, as they indeed did, but then somehow have crossed the metro on a bridge and then run alongside it thorough the tunnel and then past Bede towards Pelaw. This of course never happened in it entirety, but the British Rail line crossing the metro at Tyne Dock would have been quite a sight to see.

I always thought that it was an economy too far to make the metro track between Jarrow and Hebburn single track with BR running alongside. There could fairly easily have been three tracks here as most of the route could , have been built on now lifter headshunts and sidings although then it would have needed a new single track road bridge and two single track bridges over the then existent Bowes railway. If this had been in place it would have given more scope and allowed the building of a station between Jarrow and Hebburn which would probably do quite well now.

Established Member
Aye I remember a few years back Nexus were lanning on doubling the section between Jarrow and Hebburn, and I'm sure at the time there was some vegetation cut back in the area to allow for it. Seems to have quietly gone off the radar.

cawky22

just been talking to a train prep guy who was fuel a coal train locomotive , he said at the moment there is 70 coal trains a week leaving the port but in March its going up to 150 a week !!150 trains a week is about 255 000 tonne of coal or 3.75 ships a week !!!! WOW

JohnCarlson

just been talking to a train prep guy who was fuel a coal train locomotive , he said at the moment there is 70 coal trains a week leaving the port but in March its going up to 150 a week !!150 trains a week is about 255 000 tonne of coal or 3.75 ships a week !!!! WOW

Well good news but I do wonder how the line can handle them.

John

cawky22

Well good news but I do wonder how the line can handle them.

John

The guy said they can load and fuel a train in 1 hour 15 minutes , at the moment they have 2 loading lines for coal , 1 for biomass under the silo and 1 for loading scrap , he said they are talking about putting more loading lines in to the storage area. Also plans are being made for more loading silos for biomass.

cawky22

It is doubled across the A194 :-
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Tyn...ields,+Tyne+and+Wear,+United+Kingdom&t=h&z=19
It becomes a single line on top of the bank where the turn is to enter the council depot , It is a token operated single track upp to the main line . Search You tube and look for the videos made by driver Exskin .
http://www.youtube.com/user/EXSKIN
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
His latest video :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atxSFbc-Tn8&list=UUHcXrDZWgOWroRZWepDnUYw&index=2
http://www.portoftyne.co.uk/about-us/the-future/

To find out more about our plans come along to The Cave on Captains Row in South Shields, on Friday 8th February at any time between 2pm and 8pm to meet the Project Team.
Last nights Countryfile , at 27 minutes its about burning biomass and woodpellets at Drax , these are the pellets that come into the Port of Tyne :- http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01qgmym/Countryfile_27_01_2013/
The guy from Drax said that they are going to use 7 000 000 tonnes a year .they will be converting 50% of there powerstation to biomass burning in the next 2 to 3 years and 90% of this will be imported wood pellets . This equates to 252 ships a year from Panama City , Florida. Or 134 ships per year from Vancouver!! Also it will be 96 trainloads per week!!

Legzr1

Tyne Dock is about to get very,very busy very soon.

I stood within 100 yards of the twin biomass storage domes at Drax recently and they are HUGE :o

The TV images don't do them justice.

sarahj

Established Member
I can remember traveling on the mtero back in the early 80's and crossing here
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=jar...ar=Jarrow,+Tyne+and+Wear,+United+Kingdom&z=17 what looked like a line with overhead which I think was a pit line. From Google looks like things have changed a bit. But when I was traveling to sunderland once in 1986 I was amazed at all the lines crossing and joining that seemed to be all rusty.

As for the 150 trains, might sound good, but the pathing on the metro lines wont be easy, ok its only boldon to pelaw, but long slow loaded trains crossing junctions.

SJ

Legzr1

Actually,it's 'only Boldon to Pelaw' in one direction.

It's all the way to Sunderland in the other direction!

Established Member
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=jar...ar=Jarrow,+Tyne+and+Wear,+United+Kingdom&z=17 what looked like a line with overhead which I think was a pit line. From Google looks like things have changed a bit. But when I was traveling to sunderland once in 1986 I was amazed at all the lines crossing and joining that seemed to be all rusty.

As for the 150 trains, might sound good, but the pathing on the metro lines wont be easy, ok its only boldon to pelaw, but long slow loaded trains crossing junctions.

SJ

There was a British Steel factory at Jarrow which had its own railway, but if you're talking about overheads, it might be the Westoe colliery lines further towards South Shields.

cawky22

SJ
Surely the coal trains fit in between metro trains now so what is the problem with more doing it , we are only looking at 1 train an hour in each direction extra . , Port of Tyne plans will be announced in great detail next Friday , I will be there . I will get some photos if I can .

Status
Not open for further replies.