• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tyne & Wear Metro and Ferry: Best Ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
What would be the best ticket for a day return journey from Central Station to North Shields/Tynemouth with a side trip on the ferry to South Shields & back?

Three non T&W resident adults (two over 60). Departing after 11:00.

TIA.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DanNCL

Established Member
Zones A+B+C Day Saver. £6.20. Also includes the ferry. There aren’t any peak restrictions on Metro, same fares all day.

SteveM70

Established Member
Rather than come back across on the ferry you could get the Metro back from South Shields and make it into a loop, including the bridge over the Tyne

Buzby

Just completed an expedition on the Metro visiting all stations and a ferry crossing - I do suggest in hindsight that you use the ferry in the North Shields to South Shields direction, as it’s quite an uphill slog if you do it from S to N as I did. The A+B+C ticket covers everything and is great value at £6.20 - despite doing the circle, outer legs etc, I never had to wait longer than 9 minutes for a connection. It took 5 hours and with the good weather yesterday when the new Stadler’s are in place. Not one was seen anywhere yesterday on the network during daylight!

Buzby

Not in service, no - but a quick visit to the admin centre to ask where I might be able to glimpse one the answer was it was only running at night for route miles purposes.

Buzby

Shame really. As the Glasgow subway has no option because of the tunnel diameter but the Metro isn’t so constrained. This was one of the reasons I wanted to try the G1 trains before they were retired. Unlike the Glasgow system, they didn’t betray their age as the refurbs were timely and beneficial. Having now done the complete route network, I was surprised that the Airport, South Shields and South Hilton went to single track at the terminus, leaving the only remaining terminus (St James) with two platforms - for obvious reasons I suppose.

Is there/was there any benefit in colour coding the lines? It didn’t seen to offer any benefit - and no identification of same on the trains themselves.

willgreen

Is there/was there any benefit in colour coding the lines? It didn’t seen to offer any benefit - and no identification of same on the trains themselves.
Because they are different lines surely? Not sure why you wouldn’t colour code them

Tramfan

Shame really. As the Glasgow subway has no option because of the tunnel diameter but the Metro isn’t so constrained. This was one of the reasons I wanted to try the G1 trains before they were retired. Unlike the Glasgow system, they didn’t betray their age as the refurbs were timely and beneficial. Having now done the complete route network, I was surprised that the Airport, South Shields and South Hilton went to single track at the terminus, leaving the only remaining terminus (St James) with two platforms - for obvious reasons I suppose.

Airport has 2 platforms.

The line colours used to be displayed as the background colour on the original destination blinds on the front of the trains. The platform information screens also used to (up until the mid-late 90s) display the line colour too.

Buzby

Because they are different lines surely? Not sure why you wouldn’t colour code them
Because at Monument I bumped into 2 different people who were lost, wondering why the N&S line and E&W were both yellow and since the ‘destination’ was Whitley Bay for both - but the via Byker or Benton wasn’t easily apparent. It just looked haphazard and unlike the tube isn’t indicated on the carriages themselves either by stickers or LED display. As @Tramfan notes Nexus appear to have abandoned marking them these last 30 years….

PacerTrain142

On Moderation
I really like the current metro trains. I used to love riding them as a kid when going on holiday to Whitley Bay to visit relatives. I loved the hum the trains made and the “baaaaaaaaarp. Doors closing”. at every station. The new trains probably won’t be the same. And as someone on the autistic spectrum I hate having to sit facing strangers I find it really awkward so I won’t like the sideways seating. Hopefully I’ll get up there for a holiday again soon before they are all gone.

willgreen

Because at Monument I bumped into 2 different people who were lost, wondering why the N&S line and E&W were both yellow and since the ‘destination’ was Whitley Bay for both - but the via Byker or Benton wasn’t easily apparent. It just looked haphazard and unlike the tube isn’t indicated on the carriages themselves either by stickers or LED display. As @Tramfan notes Nexus appear to have abandoned marking them these last 30 years….
That isn’t a line colour issue per se though, it’s a communication one - and IIRC services normally state ‘St James via the coast’. Having line colours doesn’t make the system any more complicated in of itself. Line colours also show that there is no service Airport-South Shields, for example - unless you propose scrapping the map entirely?

Buzby

I remember when it started, the Cream/Yellow livery - matching the buses (?). Then it changed to colour fronts - which I wrongfully assumed indicated what line it was on…. Then I saw a red Metro and realised they weren’t colour-coding them!

willgreen

I remember when it started, the Cream/Yellow livery - matching the buses (?). Then it changed to colour fronts - which I wrongfully assumed indicated what line it was on…. Then I saw a red Metro and realised they weren’t colour-coding them!
Ok

Buzby

Just discovered in times past there were a further 2 colours used (long before the Sunderland line opened). Blue and Red were in use also, Blue was overlaid on St James to North Shields and Red between Benton and Pelaw - so multiple colours not on different lines!

jkkne

I really like the current metro trains. I used to love riding them as a kid when going on holiday to Whitley Bay to visit relatives. I loved the hum the trains made and the “baaaaaaaaarp. Doors closing”. at every station. The new trains probably won’t be the same. And as someone on the autistic spectrum I hate having to sit facing strangers I find it really awkward so I won’t like the sideways seating. Hopefully I’ll get up there for a holiday again soon before they are all gone.

I’m confused by this. You either face someone now in side facing seats or pretty much sit on someone in the bays. The new trains will make this better for you

PacerTrain142

On Moderation
I’m confused by this. You either face someone now in side facing seats or pretty much sit on someone in the bays. The new trains will make this better for you
Don’t remember having to face people on the metro but I usually sat right at the front. Love how you get a drivers eye view. Don’t know of any other train in service where you can do this.

Paul_10

Just some excuse to show they were doing something during the pandemic, drivers had more chance of catching covid from within the cab, not from people sitting at the front. I do wish they unscrew them doors and put them in a skip where they belong.

One theory I heard is new/inexperienced drivers(which there be many) won't be used to having passengers in the front seat so could be a distraction.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
It was originally so drivers had some space when entering/exiting the cabs.

Originally the whole area was blocked off with a plastic sheet, but that quickly became a magnet for anti-social behaviour - hence the gates.

The drivers are effectively in a cupboard, so I get why they'd like to be able to step out without obstruction.

In any case, as others say, the new trains have a full-size cab. What a step up it is too.

PacerTrain142

On Moderation
It was originally so drivers had some space when entering/exiting the cabs. Originally the whole area was blocked off with a plastic sheet, but that quickly became a magnet for anti-social behaviour - hence the gates. The drivers are effectively in a cupboard, so I get why they'd like to be able to step out without obstruction. In any case, as others say, the new trains have a full-size cab. What a step up it is too.
It was originally so drivers had some space when entering/exiting the cabs. Originally the whole area was blocked off with a plastic sheet, but that quickly became a magnet for anti-social behaviour - hence the gates. The drivers are effectively in a cupboard, so I get why they'd like to be able to step out without obstruction. In any case, as others say, the new trains have a full-size cab. What a step up it is too.
Definitely not a step up for the passengers though! No front view, sideways seating and fewer seats. A downgrade not an upgrade.

danielnez1

Definitely not a step up for the passengers though! No front view, sideways seating and fewer seats. A downgrade not an upgrade.
While the lack of front view will sadly be missed, the new cab is is surely a quantum leap that eclipses that, in terms of amenities, space and safety for the driver (i.e. crashworthiness and reduced risk of anti-social behaviour from passengers). I will say that the all longitudinal seating is probably going to be the biggest complaint reported by passengers, with a lot of pressure for it to be rectified - though I would sadly guess it would not be until midlife refurbishment, if at all.

Last edited:

ModernRailways

Established Member
The new trains are a massive step up for passengers. The lack of front view is going to be a loss from a more enthusiast or child friendly point of view, sure, but certainly not something that 99% of passengers will overly care about. The seating capacity is fairly unchanged, and sideways seating is already in place on the current fleet.

Don’t remember having to face people on the metro but I usually sat right at the front. Love how you get a drivers eye view. Don’t know of any other train in service where you can do this.
There are no seats on the current fleet, other than the seats alongside the cabs, which don't face another bay of seats. So each metrocar you have a choice of 2 seating areas out of 27*.

How on earth does sitting at the front of a train have to do with covid? If anything, sitting opposite someone is more likely to spread it.
It was so drivers could ensure that a safe distance could be maintained when entering/leaving the cab with no passengers in an immediate proximity once they opened the cab door. It's been retained so drivers under instruction can have someone ride up front with them, though some still prefer the big covers to block the entire front portion off.

I will say that the all sideway seating is probably going to be the biggest complaint reported, with a lot of pressure for it to be rectified - though I would sadly guess it would not be until midlife refurbishment, if at all.
I must say I disagree with this, most journeys are ~15 minutes or less, those passengers won't typically care. The only ones who will are those travelling longer distances, such as Sunderland area to Newcastle. Seating similar to that of the S8 stock on the Met line in London may have been a good option for that, but ultimately the majority rules and these trains are also about capacity improvements.

I think the main issue is actually going to be the lack of armrests to stop people lying down across the seats and to break up the individual seats. The issue with putting in individual armrests is that it could be seen as creating a more 'hostile' environment for groups of people travelling.

danielnez1

I must say I disagree with this, most journeys are ~15 minutes or less, those passengers won't typically care. The only ones who will are those travelling longer distances, such as Sunderland area to Newcastle. Seating similar to that of the S8 stock on the Met line in London may have been a good option for that, but ultimately the majority rules and these trains are also about capacity improvements.

I think the main issue is actually going to be the lack of armrests to stop people lying down across the seats and to break up the individual seats. The issue with putting in individual armrests is that it could be seen as creating a more 'hostile' environment for groups of people travelling.
The protocol and the results of the survey that produced the preferences for the seating layout would have not held up to scrutiny should Sunderland City Council had pursued it further. A hybrid layout like the S8 stock has would have probably been preferable.

Status
Not open for further replies.