• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tyne & Wear Metro: Fleet Refurbishment List

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ModernRailways

Established Member
4083 & 4040 still plodding along on Saturday 19th

http://www.nerailimages.co.uk/images/August-2017/DSCF0687.JPG

Any news on a return for 4001 & 4002?

We're a little short on units at the minute due to the blockade so 40 and 83 have been on full runs.

01 and 02 aren't planned to return to service unless necessary. My own opinion is that the next time they'll be in pax service will be around late Autumn/Winter. You may see them on RHTT duties however.

Established Member
01 or 02 were supposed to be being fitted with the new cab radio and out on out of service test trains. Still having problems fitting the radios and I believe the project has been put back so that it can fit in with the new signalling system being installed at the Control Centre.

ModernRailways

Established Member
Sarcasm surely? :D

Major line closure results in better punctuality...

The major line closure makes it harder to get better punctuality. If a train fails in Regent Centre going South, then the whole line is blocked Southbound, if that happens in the AM then that means it is hell for getting trains out of the depot. All the trains going into service have had to use the Regent Centre end of the depot, one little issue there whilst trying to get trains out/into the depot and the whole service would be gone.

After 4:30am/11pm we have a constant stream of trains trying to get out of/into the depot and it's been hellish. We've been very very lucky we haven't had any major issues and that we've had a pretty boring Summer whilst the closure has been on. The trains have also played nicely for the most part too, for a change.

The timetable reduction late at night however has also played a part in getting better results as it means trains are in the depot for a little longer each night. We are short on sets though now so come Monday I can see some cancelled services.

MetroCar4058

I was impressed with the punctuality.

I hope this isn't a silly question, but when passing through neutral sections on the network, do drivers have to do anything?

jkkne

How long will the 20 speed restriction be in place on the curve between South Gosforth and Killingworth Bridge?

It's painful passing through at the moment!

ModernRailways

Established Member
How long will the 20 speed restriction be in place on the curve between South Gosforth and Killingworth Bridge?

It's painful passing through at the moment!

Until the work on the bridge is finished. Probably a month or two at a guess?

ModernRailways

Established Member
Can someone tell me if 4001 and 4002 were out in passenger use today (Great North Run day). I've been told they were, and that at one point we had zero units in the depot. I just find it very hard to believe, especially the zero units on depot.

Edit*

I've found out we had 76 Metrocars in service today, but I still haven't got to the bottom of 4001/4002 being out in service.

Last edited:

MetroCar4058

A very good show from Metro yesterday. I believe 4001/2 were not out.

Perhaps the 0 units was meant as 0 serviceable units?

ChathillMan

Power lines have blown between Longbenton and South Gosforth..... according to Facebook

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
And a stranded train near Walkergate. Attempts to get passengers off the train can only charitably described as shambolic

MetroCar4058

I'd be interested to know the cause of the OHL to go at Longbenton & what was the issue with the train at Walkergate; could anyone shed any light?

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
I think both issues were with the OLE, but I could be wrong. That's the impression I got from their twitter feed.

Sadly it also seems that people were lying about being stuck on the train at Walkergate, with one woman claiming to be pregnant and going into labour. They spent ages trying to find her...

Established Member
Don't think that the one at Walkergate was an overhead issue as other trains between Percy Main and Byker would have been affected. More than likely a fault on the train which meant the brakes could not be released.

Paul_10

Don't think that the one at Walkergate was an overhead issue as other trains between Percy Main and Byker would have been affected. More than likely a fault on the train which meant the brakes could not be released.

As this happened between stations, if there is a fault with the brakes then I assume the Emergency brake would of kicked in with the train coming to a sudden stop?

I also wonder why the train behind(which I would guess would be at a red signal not far away) could not couple behind the failed set and rescue its passengers to a station? This what happened at Haymarket where a train refused to move from both cabs although of course the difference was all the passengers were off the train by then so I'm guessing this procedure can't take place with passengers on board because of safety reasons?

ModernRailways

Established Member
As this happened between stations, if there is a fault with the brakes then I assume the Emergency brake would of kicked in with the train coming to a sudden stop?

I also wonder why the train behind(which I would guess would be at a red signal not far away) could not couple behind the failed set and rescue its passengers to a station? This what happened at Haymarket where a train refused to move from both cabs although of course the difference was all the passengers were off the train by then so I'm guessing this procedure can't take place with passengers on board because of safety reasons?

Unless it's an extreme emergency then no a train cannot be coupled to another with passengers on board.

Also, depending on the fault you don't want another two metrocars going down only to get stuck as well. That's why during disruption the aim is for trains to wait in platforms. This doesn't work as well during the peaks where trains will have to hang around between stations (or in some cases the sidings will be utilised and trains/drivers remaining there until clear or running empty back to the depot), but in the off-peaks this works well. If the disruption will result in line suspension/severe delays, you only have one train to evacuate rather than two or more.

Established Member
Depends on the situation and fault. If train A has failed at a station and cannot move, train B behind will detrain its passengers and go to couple up (A also detrained as well). If B is mid section and the only way to move the train is by coupling A to B then it will have to be done, however this brings up other issues which I'll not go into.

Also a train mid section can be stuck due to a number of reasons not involving the OHL. For example, a loss of air to the brake pipe means the disk brakes apply and cannot be released (no emergency brake involved). Coupling up a train from behind might solve the problem, however if it is a split pipe then the brakes have to be wound off by the depot staff.

Paul_10

I do wonder though how long is waiting on a train in between stations without any hope of the train moving would be acceptable to passengers? Looks like people were on board for around an hour? before getting rescued and obviously in different circumstances(e.g if this happened in hot weather) then issues could start to develop like passengers fainting and even detraining themselves(Which of course happened during the infamous GNR farce in 2015).

I wonder why coupling a train to another is a massive safety issue with passengers on board whilst on the national rail network, this does happen quite often and all you experience is a slight movement as the trains couple together. Thankfully this breakdown did not occur on a hot day or in a tunnel section.

Established Member
In the example I used the main reason for deraining the assisting train behind is that faults can transfer across from one set to another, so you wouldn't want 4 cars loads of passengers stuck on a train when you only had 2 car loads in the first place.

Also very few platforms can accomodate 4 cars and be safely dispatched, which is a main problem.

ModernRailways

Established Member
I do wonder though how long is waiting on a train in between stations without any hope of the train moving would be acceptable to passengers? Looks like people were on board for around an hour? before getting rescued and obviously in different circumstances(e.g if this happened in hot weather) then issues could start to develop like passengers fainting and even detraining themselves(Which of course happened during the infamous GNR farce in 2015).

I wonder why coupling a train to another is a massive safety issue with passengers on board whilst on the national rail network, this does happen quite often and all you experience is a slight movement as the trains couple together. Thankfully this breakdown did not occur on a hot day or in a tunnel section.

If something similar happened in hot weather detraining still isn't the best option. What would be best in that situation is opening the right hand door leaf to let cold air in. It will annoy the driver but after 30-45 minutes of waiting it's highly likely you will be evacuated. People actually detraining onto the tracks is another extreme, and in the GNR case I think it was more one person complaining, releasing the doors and evacuating and everyone else just following along. They had little regard for safety, and just wanted to get to the end of the run to see their friends/family. If trains had of still been running they wouldn't of gotten to see their friends/family at all.

If the driver is keeping the passengers updated then most people will be fine and will wait, if someone needs medical help they can dial 999, use the passenger assist button, or call metro control (the number is inside the train).

A couple of reasons, trains can't be safely dispatched, faults can spread depending on the circumstances so you'd then have 4 metrocars needing rescued. Some metrocars now dislike talking to each other and as such they can't be paired/coupled up.

Scott M

I don't know if I have just been lucky, but since Nexus took charge again I feel I haven't really experienced any problems. :)

ModernRailways

Established Member
I don't know if I have just been lucky, but since Nexus took charge again I feel I haven't really experienced any problems. :)

The timetable change gave us a lot more time to give trains maintenance. That reflects clearly in the stats. DB were getting similar performance levels when they handed over to Nexus. Nexus have managed to keep those performance levels going - mainly because they've left the day to day running of the Metro to the same staff.

A lot of people think the same as you because they just thought DB were bad when in reality they were pushing trains that are on their last legs into service because they'd be fined by Nexus otherwise. Not really an ideal situation, and Nexus would have been suffering the same issue had they kept the timetable the same.

Established Member
Everyone that worked in operations knew that Nexus had shafted DB with the timetable. Chnage the timetable, remove 4 trains per day and add extra padding to the timetable and low and behold you get 90%+ punctuality.

In reality nothing has changed. 99% same staff, no extra funding (in fact Nexus are trying to cut costs) and same rolling stock.

MetroCar4058

My thoughts go out to the driver of the trains that appears to have hit someone this evening; very saddening.

Established Member
4002 is being prepared to come back into service, replacing 4083. Not sure when this will happen.

Established Member
4002 is out this morning with 4040 on a short. Should also be out this afternoon as there are no spare trains.

Status
Not open for further replies.