• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tyne & Wear Metro: Fleet Refurbishment List

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetroCar4058

Another interesting set of images along these lines come from DG8 who I deal with at work.

They had been approached by one of the bidders prior to DB being awarded the contract to provide some renders:

http://dg8design.com/metro.html

Interesting to see what may have been...

Jon

I'm not sure if I like that design, it looks modern but I don't like the idea of foldy down chairs, also the plan didn't include the front seat view! To be honest it looks like Nexus went for the cheapest refurbishment option as there was little change on the interior of the units compared to some of the bids. That said, I am happy they kept the layout the same, its rather nice.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tbrown1980

Hi all,

Now it's March, here's a reminder of the fleet refurbishment list. If there's any other metrocars which have been refurbished that I've missed off, please let me know and I'll add them to the list. Cheers

UPDATED: Monday 2nd March 2015

4001 Prototype (Will not be refurbished)
4002 Prototype (Will not be refurbished)
4003 Refurbished
4004 Refurbished
4005 Refurbished
4006 Refurbished
4007 Refurbished
4008 Refurbished
4009 Refurbished
4010 Refurbished
4011 Refurbished

4012 Red
4013 Refurbished
4014 Refurbished
4015 Refurbished
4016 Refurbished
4017 Refurbished
4018 Refurbished
4019 Refurbished
4020 Refurbished
4021 Refurbished
4022 Refurbished
4023 Refurbished
4024 Refurbished

4025 Red
4026 Red
4027 Advertisement
4028 Refurbished
4029 Refurbished
4030 Refurbished
4031 Refurbished
4032 Refurbished
4033 Refurbished
4034 Refurbished
4035 Refurbished
4036 Refurbished
4037 Refurbished
4038 Refurbished
4039 Refurbished

4040 Advertisement
4041 Refurbished
4042 Refurbished
4043 Refurbished
4044 Refurbished

4045 Advertisement
4046 Refurbished
4047 Refurbished

4048 Red
4049 Refurbished
4050 Refurbished
4051 Refurbished
4052 Refurbished
4053 Refurbished
4054 Refurbished
4055 Refurbished
4056 Refurbished
4057 Refurbished
4058 Refurbished
4059 Refurbished
4060 Refurbished
4061 Refurbished
4062 Refurbished
4063 Refurbished
4064 Refurbished
4065 Refurbished
4066 Refurbished
4067 Refurbished
4068 Refurbished
4069 Refurbished
4070 Refurbished
4071 Refurbished
4072 Refurbished
4073 Refurbished
4074 Refurbished
4075 Refurbished
4076 Refurbished

4077 Red
4078 Refurbished
4079 Refurbished

4080 Advertisement
4081 Refurbished
4082 Refurbished

4083 Advertisement
4084 Refurbished
4085 Red
4086 Refurbished
4087 Refurbished
4088 Refurbished
4089 Refurbished
4090 Refurbished

Metrocars Refurbished: 77
Number left to refurbish: 9 (4 won't be refurbished)

Last edited:

Paul_10

Wow! Not many unrefurbished sets around now are there!

Indeed there aint, despite the project suffering problems, at least its something that be completed on time.

Although not fully confimed, I believe 4026 and 4077 may of headed off to Doncaster in the last few weeks and 4048/4012has definately gone.

Tramfan

I know 4077 has definitely gone as I saw it attached to 2 Battery Locos last Friday, 4003 returned as it came back round the coast and into the depot via Longbenton as Manors curve still seems to be out of use.

So we only have 4001, 4002, 4025, 4027, 4040, 4045, 4080, 4083, 4085 still on the system unrefurbished and of these only 5 are left to go to Doncaster.

Interesting that after so many years of the red livery dominating the system we now only have 2 left in this livery (both paired at the moment as well.)

Also spotted 4089 in the wars again today, it was passing South Gosforth with what looked like plastic sheeting wrapped around its pantograph (which had been lowered) and a torch in the cab in use instead of the headlights

Last edited:

MetroCar4058

Forgive me if I'm wrong but is 12 not back?

Also does anyone know if Nexus are any nearer to purchasing the Heaton Depot (or part of it), and what their intentions are?

ModernRailways

Established Member
4085 and 4025 definitely look to ready for refurbishment.

4085 has had all it's advertising stripped out.

Scott M

I like the wooden interior.

Also, out of curiosity are the blue speed signs for the battery loco?

Scott M

Probably wrong but they are either recommended speeds or warning of a speed limit change.

Why would you need a recommended speed though? Surely it's either safe at a certain speed or not and so should be a definitive speed limit.

And regarding warning of speed limit change, that might be the case. Although I believe there is one straight after you leave Bede towards Simonside, which is a straight patch of track, suggesting no need to forewarn.

Established Member
Blue signs are recommended speeds for coasting, to save energy and wear and tear on the cars. I.e. between Percy Main and Meadow Well the limit is 80 kph but I think there is a 50 coasting board.

Scott M

Blue signs are recommended speeds for coasting, to save energy and wear and tear on the cars. I.e. between Percy Main and Meadow Well the limit is 80 kph but I think there is a 50 coasting board.

Forgive me for asking but what do you mean by coasting? :oops:

So on that stretch of track would a train do 80 if delayed, but 50 if on time?

Established Member
Basically yes. Probably not the best example as would be difficult to get upto 80 between Percy Main and Meadow Well. Better example might be between North Shields tunnels and Tynemouth. The limit goes from 50 to 80 then back down to 50, but there is a 60 blue board as well. They are there for guidance and don't have to be followed.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Coasting as not being in power. Like freewheeling down a hill in a car.

Scott M

Basically yes. Probably not the best example as would be difficult to get upto 80 between Percy Main and Meadow Well. Better example might be between North Shields tunnels and Tynemouth. The limit goes from 50 to 80 then back down to 50, but there is a 60 blue board as well. They are there for guidance and don't have to be followed.
Coasting as not being in power. Like freewheeling down a hill in a car.

Thank you! Makes sense. :)

yes it has returned i passed it on the metro coming out of north sheilds 4080 was on the lorry 4012 was between bl1 and 2 .

MetroCar4058

Today was an interesting one on the metro, the driver for the changeover was 4 minutes late to the unit 4005 and consequently he was pushing the unit to the speed limit, unfortunately he misjudged his breaking and ended up overshooting the mirror at West Jesmond massively. In fact we were at the end of the platform!

You can tell 4005 has recently came back as she is looking fine however her PA wasn't working, Hmm

ModernRailways

Established Member
What are the rails inbetween the tracks on the bridge over the river tyne for?

Rails inbetween the tracks?

Guide rails, possibly? Can't say I've ever really looked tbh xD
Today was an interesting one on the metro, the driver for the changeover was 4 minutes late to the unit 4005 and consequently he was pushing the unit to the speed limit, unfortunately he misjudged his breaking and ended up overshooting the mirror at West Jesmond massively. In fact we were at the end of the platform!

You can tell 4005 has recently came back as she is looking fine however her PA wasn't working, Hmm

Did he still release the doors or just continue on? West Jesmond is one of those stations that could easily fit a 6 car Metro (well, 3) into the platform and as it's straight he could just look out the window to check all is clear.

It's amusing how many undershoot Felling mind. The amount of times I've been on a train that's came to a stop only for the train to then start stop suddenly in quite quick succession for a few times until the driver can finally release the doors happens far too often. Probably once a week.

MetroCar4058

The driver released the doors as he hadn't overshot the end of the full platform by the first set of doors, but he was miles away from where you would usually stop!

I wonder why they undershoot at Felling, is it a shorter platform? One of the shortest I can think of is Ilford Road and I've only ever seen it once there which was due to LRAH.

Scott M

If these are well inside the running rails they're probably to lock the track into place over the bridge.

Yeah it is these ones.

They are too far inside the running rails to be guide rails.

I wonder why they undershoot at Felling, is it a shorter platform? One of the shortest I can think of is Ilford Road and I've only ever seen it once there which was due to LRAH.

Not sure about platform 2, but I know that on platform 1 even stopping at the correct place sometimes causes some of the rear metrocar to be on the 'ramp' part at the end of the platform, so even stopping a tiny bit too early might cause the rear door to be on the ramp.

I think the mirror used to be further down the line so that it would stop with the rear carriage comfortably past the ramp, but maybe they changed its location because of issues with the sun? Could be wrong.

Last edited:

ModernRailways

Established Member

Not sure about platform 2, but I know that on platform 1 even stopping at the correct place sometimes causes some of the rear metrocar to be on the 'ramp' part at the end of the platform, so even stopping a tiny bit too early might cause the rear door to be on the ramp.

I think the mirror used to be further down the line so that it would stop with the rear carriage comfortably past the ramp, but maybe they changed its location because of issues with the sun? Could be wrong.

Platform 1 at Felling is considerably shorter than it used to be, and now even if the train stops at the correct mark the cab door is part of the platform.

The reason the platform is short is because the old ramp and station ticket concourse used to be a lot further up the platform. The new ramp was put in and took up a lot more space. Meaning the ticket machines had to be moved to there current location and the stairs and ramp moved to go with the new footbridge.

You can still see where the old bridge used to be as on the side next to the Network Rail platforms the stairs still are in situ.

Here's a quick image I've just found on Google to show what it used to look like. And the current station (actually relatively hard to find a good up to date image, most images show the older station layout).

image006.jpg

felling(steve_mcshane10.2005)second10.jpg

3812214_e60a08d7.jpg

D6975

Established Member
I'm in Doncaster at the moment. Yesterday evening I saw 4048 on a low loader leaving the works. This afternoon a low loader (poss same one) arrived carrying 4045 which I saw being shunted into the works.

ModernRailways

Established Member
I'm in Doncaster at the moment. Yesterday evening I saw 4048 on a low loader leaving the works. This afternoon a low loader (poss same one) arrived carrying 4045 which I saw being shunted into the works.

4045!? Could have sworn that was with 4002 on Saturday!

It's amazing to think just how quickly this refurb is now going (although a lot of things are being skipped now). Finding an unrefurbished set now is incredibly difficult, this time last year it was the total opposite.

Paul_10

It's amazing to think just how quickly this refurb is now going (although a lot of things are being skipped now). Finding an unrefurbished set now is incredibly difficult, this time last year it was the total opposite.

4040 is paired with 4002 I believe, or it was the last time I saw it.

4045 was paired with 4001, saw it paired together on a peak morning run on Monday

4012 was also noted in service on Monday with 4032 on TRB 109 but must of got withdrawn from service as another set took over TRB 109.

Certainly not many unrefurbished units left now!

Established Member
Delays around the Coast this morning - one of the battery locomotives failed last night and was blocking the sidings at Monkseaton along with another loco and three ballast hoppers. Trains terminating at Monkseaton had to use the In line to turn around, so delaying trains coming from Whitley Bay.

Scott M

You obviously haven't been on the Yellow line recently then, most days coming to and from uni I seem to end up on an old set!

Also that makes sense regarding Felling. Amazing how old fashioned the old station looked compared to the current one.

Delays around the Coast this morning - one of the battery locomotives failed last night and was blocking the sidings at Monkseaton along with another loco and three ballast hoppers. Trains terminating at Monkseaton had to use the In line to turn around, so delaying trains coming from Whitley Bay.

I am sure something happened to a South Hylton train, too. I came into platform 2 Heworth during morning rush hour and the next train on platform 1 was a South Hylton train 10mins away, with the other trains backed up behind it. No sign of it between Heworth and entering the tunnel system, and all the platform 1s were getting quite busy as they do when a train is delayed during rush hour.

Last edited:

ModernRailways

Established Member
You obviously haven't been on the Yellow line recently then, most days coming to and from uni I seem to end up on an old set!

Also that makes sense regarding Felling. Amazing how old fashioned the old station looked compared to the current one.

I use the yellow line everyday (as well as the green line) ;) More a case of wrong place, wrong time. I did see one pass me before as my train was 18 minutes late and got turned back at Jarrow, the train right behind ours was the unrefurb so had I of waited and got the next train then all would have been great, unfortunately I got the first train though :p

Status
Not open for further replies.