• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tyne & Wear Metro: Fleet Refurbishment List

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetroCar4058

It looks like there is going to be some work though the tunnels from Jesmond to Monument. There appears to be new rails ready to be laid. Does anyone have any further information?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
This possibly could be done in sections overnight as there isn't any ballast or track bed to replace. In comparison it is a rather simpler job of just removing the old rail and fixing the new rails back in.

HugePilchard

There's something going on between Gateshead Stadium and Jarrow too - rerailing, according to the nightworks page. No line closure in there.

There's machinery parked up near Felling station.

I'm guessing whatever it is they're up to, it's not as major as the Benton - Monkseaton closure - I've not seen any big piles of ballast anywhere in the Gateshead area.

Hopefully they'll sort out the horrible wiggly bit between Northumberland Park and Palmersville with the North Tyneside closure though. The side-to-side movement of the trains on that section is just nasty.

ModernRailways

Established Member
There's machinery parked up near Felling station.

I'm guessing whatever it is they're up to, it's not as major as the Benton - Monkseaton closure - I've not seen any big piles of ballast anywhere in the Gateshead area.

Felling is a compound for both Network Rail and Metro. From what I've heard there will be 2 weekend closures in the Autumn in the Felling area and overnight works are ongoing.

New Post:
I was on the Metro earlier, and the heating appeared to be on full pelt. Which on an already hot day wasn't very welcome! Does anyone have any idea as to why?

Last edited:

HA25322

4001 still attached to 4040 yesterday. Covered all pm diagrams and noted that 116 & 154 were cancelled. Why do they not show this on the screens? Or is it so people don't realise they haven't run?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can anyone tell me what vendors will supply the the following parts

1. HVAC

2. DCU's

3. PIS system

4 CCTV

any help would be appreciated.

MetroCar4058

Just been on the Metro and when departing South Gosforth the driver was forced to apply the emergency brake due to an idiot touching the metrocar, this individual subsequently left the station. We were delayed for 5 or so minutes for the driver to call it in and for a platform dispatcher.

Is a platform dispatch standard procedure for such events? Why would it be used?

ModernRailways

Established Member
Just been on the Metro and when departing South Gosforth the driver was forced to apply the emergency brake due to an idiot touching the metrocar, this individual subsequently left the station. We were delayed for 5 or so minutes for the driver to call it in and for a platform dispatcher.

Is a platform dispatch standard procedure for such events? Why would it be used?

If the train was still partly on the platform and the driver couldn't check it was safe to proceed then someone will have to assist with the dispatch as far as I'm aware.

Similar happened to me on Thursday at Gosforth only it was someone trying to get off. We were stopped for a good 2 minutes and the doors started closing he jumped up from his seat went over and started pulling the doors apart. He gave up eventually, driver made an announcement telling people not to obstruct the doors and the guy was still on the train when I get off at Kingston Park so who knows what he did it for.

MetroCar4058

Fair enough, although you do see many drivers simply pop their head out of the window. I suppose it's something that's more likely to happen at SGF due to the presence of staff. When something like this happens elsewhere the driver often just sorts it himself, I assume due to the feasibility of getting a dispatcher.
I loved the drivers approach however, very informative and apologetic for the delay; especially; "it's just one of those nights" haha!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The female sound pack revival! 4081 has her back!

Scott M

Why is platform 2 at Haymarket longer than platform 1?

Also - wonder how many new drivers they are gonna need for the expansion. Reckon any of you would throw your hats into the ring? :p
Fair enough, although you do see many drivers simply pop their head out of the window.
The female sound pack revival! 4081 has her back!

Yes I would just pop my head out the window at a station like SG since the platform is cabside (I'm not a driver though so idk the various rules and regulations / pitfalls of doing so). :p

I am glad the female is coming back. I like her voice. :D

Last edited:

MetroCar4058

Why is platform 2 at Haymarket longer than platform 1?

Also - wonder how many new drivers they are gonna need for the expansion. Reckon any of you would throw your hats into the ring? :p
P2 is longer for the lift access I believe. Also I think it'll give driving a miss if it comes up, for now ;)

Scott M

P2 is longer for the lift access I believe. Also I think it'll give driving a miss if it comes up, for now ;)

I thought that but then I considered that they could have built the platforms the same length and still placed the lift within one surely!

And aha fair. :)

ModernRailways

Established Member

Yes I would just pop my head out the window at a station like SG since the platform is cabside (I'm not a driver though so idk the various rules and regulations / pitfalls of doing so). :p

What expansion? The pie in the sky dream? They've gone ambitious because when they take their case to the Government and the Government laughs and says get lost, Nexus then just say 'well just give us some new trains'. Government agrees. We get new trains. We could definitely see expansion, however that will not happen till we already have new trains running. Expansions will follow that. It's incredibly unlikely to happen at the same time. If only we could get some EU funding towards it that would help to fund such extensions.

Not quite as simple as that. It also depends on a number of other factors.

MetroCar4058

What expansion? The pie in the sky dream? They've gone ambitious because when they take their case to the Government and the Government laughs and says get lost, Nexus then just say 'well just give us some new trains'. Government agrees. We get new trains. We could definitely see expansion, however that will not happen till we already have new trains running. Expansions will follow that. It's incredibly unlikely to happen at the same time. If only we could get some EU funding towards it that would help to fund such extensions.

Not quite as simple as that. It also depends on a number of other factors.

I do agree. The economy has taken a step backwards since the vote to leave the EU and other Metro projects have received funding from the EU Growth Fund.

Another element to note is the seemingly constant publishing of route ideas by Nexus, there must have been 4 or 5 in the last few years? This simply lacks consistency and they have been swinging from street running trams and back to trains and all over the shop! We will be lucky to get a decent set of replacement trains which aren't just an adhoc and cheap replacement. A key aim must also be to have 90 trains as 84 is simply dreadful forward planning; where have we seen that with Nexus?

hacman

Really we need to be getting more than 90, as the fleet utilisation to run the current timetable is very high.

Ideally 100-110 would be appropriate for the current network.

Expansion could happen now that we're getting more devolved powers, but as mentioned the economic and political farce that has followed the leave vote will be a nail in the coffin.

Agreed in the consistent approach respect though. Part of the reason the system has been overlooked until now is likely the desire of Nexus to get trams, rather than applying focus to the existing technology.

Established Member
Can anyone tell me what vendors will supply the the following parts

1. HVAC

2. DCU's

3. PIS system

4 CCTV

any help would be appreciated.

HVAC was supplied by Wabtec, but have been removed so no longer relevant.

CCTV was a company called Petards
4001 still attached to 4040 yesterday. Covered all pm diagrams and noted that 116 & 154 were cancelled. Why do they not show this on the screens? Or is it so people don't realise they haven't run?

Things change very quickly at the depot so a diagram might be cancelled at short notice. 116 is the first to be cancelled as it has the least running mileage of the evening peak trains.

HA25322

That is understandable about things on depot but to not even put it on the screens isn't.

Established Member
The general public wouldn't know what route 116 does anyway, so putting it on the platform screens would no doubt confuse a lot of people.

Thanks for this info. I now have what I think is the correct engineering contact and have sent him and email re our support. Hopefully they will spare me some time as the TW Metro is just about the only lightrail\Metro site in the UK & Ireland that we don't currently support and I'm guessing there might be some electrical obsolescence issues at the Metro we can help with.:idea:

hacman

Just for the cab sadly! And the 'A' end cabs at that.

Installation was stopped after just a few units, with driver complaints about noise and the budget situation working against further installation.

I've not seen their CCTV gear but we have repaired a lot of Petards\Joyce Loebl telephone driver handsets.

Last edited:

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Why do they not show this on the screens? Or is it so people don't realise they haven't run?

The PIS system is antiquated. It can, AFAIK, only show trains when they are actually running. That's why you never know how long your wait will be at Monument P3- the train will only activate the PIS when it leaves St James. It can't show trains that aren't running and nor can it show trains that are about to run.

MetroCar4058

The PIS system is antiquated. It can, AFAIK, only show trains when they are actually running. That's why you never know how long your wait will be at Monument P3- the train will only activate the PIS when it leaves St James. It can't show trains that aren't running and nor can it show trains that are about to run.

the system is indeed archaic, on a similar note I really hope the new stock has a similar announcement system to that on newer LU stock where it announces line suspensions and closed stations automatically based on a feed from control; that would be fantastic.

The line closure has put quite a bit of pressure on Regent Centre with what appears to be, all short works running there or into South Gosforth and then into the depot sidings. Very interesting.
Are Metro running peak trains St James - Monkseaton during the works; I'm sure 40/01 were operating something like 170 today.

Established Member
Are Metro running peak trains St James - Monkseaton during the works; I'm sure 40/01 were operating something like 170 today.

171 and 172 in the morning, 173 and 137 in the evening all doing St. James to Monkseaton. 136 then goes back to the depot around 7pm so 137 stays out until end of service.

Tramfan

There's a couple of 16x services in the evening on the South Gosforth/Regent Centre to Pelaw, 161 4071+4007 and 162 4050+4031 today for example

Established Member
160-162 trains are extra services between Pelaw and South Gosforth/Regent Centre which have been added to cover for the lack of Monkseaton - Pelaw trains.

IIRC 162 only does a Depot - Pelaw - Depot turn which isn't much.

Tramfan

160-162 trains are extra services between Pelaw and South Gosforth/Regent Centre which have been added to cover for the lack of Monkseaton - Pelaw trains.

IIRC 162 only does a Depot - Pelaw - Depot turn which isn't much.

Oh yeah just noticed that 162's Pelaw journey is the 1647 from South Gosforth (i.e. in place of 116.)

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member

Yes. I couldn't tell you the running numbers but the St James-Monkseaton service is every 9 minutes in the peaks. Wallsend and North Shields have a better service now than they do when the line is open!

voyager221137

If anyone is interested 4083 and 4040 were paired up today on the South Gosforth terminating service today at approximately 16.45

Status
Not open for further replies.