• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tyne & Wear Metro Fleet Replacement: Awarded to Stadler

Volvictof

I hadn’t seen that article, I think that’s now three chronicle articles on the subject. If nexus hoped they’d be able to axe the peak shorts quietly they got it monumentally wrong!

It was on Twitter.
Certainly badly handled, which is annoying really as it’s a sensible plan. Not a perfect situation but having the shorts standing by to replace failed trains and pick up slack at short notice is probably the best use of resources possible at the moment.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Soundwave

I don't know why they just didn't be honest from the off. Reasonable folk will know themselves how old the current trains are.

ModernRailways

Established Member
Certainly badly handled, which is annoying really as it’s a sensible plan. Not a perfect situation but having the shorts standing by to replace failed trains and pick up slack at short notice is probably the best use of resources possible at the moment.
This isn’t how it’s going to work. If this was to happen then you’d just keep the peaks and then if something breaks on a core service then the peak would swap, this already happened often, requires permissive working (two trains in one section) with the drivers switching units, but this was already done when needed.

Removing the peaks means those trains will be in the depot, sat around, if you require a unit swap then a driver needs to get to the depot, prep the train, then get it out of the depot and back in service.

To put it simply it’s a total pooshow, Nexus haven’t a clue really how to deal with this and as always buried their heads until the issues become so large they’re no longer possible to ignore.

Paul_10

This isn’t how it’s going to work. If this was to happen then you’d just keep the peaks and then if something breaks on a core service then the peak would swap, this already happened often, requires permissive working (two trains in one section) with the drivers switching units, but this was already done when needed.

Removing the peaks means those trains will be in the depot, sat around, if you require a unit swap then a driver needs to get to the depot, prep the train, then get it out of the depot and back in service.

To put it simply it’s a total pooshow, Nexus haven’t a clue really how to deal with this and as always buried their heads until the issues become so large they’re no longer possible to ignore.

I think the permissive working your describing can(or at least have) happen at anytime of day as long as their is a spare driver at the depot so in theory the removal of the peaks should not affect that.

For me though, it's the mixed messaging, you hear words like "permanently" but then the MD comes out with they may return when demand provides it although the cynic in me really do think they won't return even if fleet availability improves and it seems to be an understanding they won't return even when the new fleet is fully operational. I'm assuming that is because the frequency will marginally improve(which was one of the reasons why the Shields line was duelled) by then and the more open space means more people should be able to board more easily.

Going back to the new fleet, seeing all the photos of the interior of the new train, I'm sort of warming to the new design layout, the merseyrail set seats have been complained about quite a fair bit despite being in a position I would prefer and despite on the photos look alright enough goes to show photos can be deceiving. I do think despite the more standing room, I do question when the train is busy what on earth can passengers hold onto if your in the middle of the crowded trains and the handle bars are too far away to reach, i think I read hanging straps from the ceiling can't be added because of safety reasons(?) so it's going to be interesting too see what this will be like in practice.

Also one thing to add, I'm noticing the wording for when the new fleet could be in passenger service is changing from "the autumn" to "towards the end of the year", I think we can all make out what that means. I'll be surprised if any make it into passenger service this year.

DanNCL

Established Member
Also one thing to add, I'm noticing the wording for when the new fleet could be in passenger service is changing from "the autumn" to "towards the end of the year", I think we can all make out what that means. I'll be surprised if any make it into passenger service this year.
A single return trip from Regent Centre to Airport in the early hours of 31st December? :D

ModernRailways

Established Member
I think the permissive working your describing can(or at least have) happen at anytime of day as long as their is a spare driver at the depot so in theory the removal of the peaks should not affect that.
It can and does, but it's a lot quicker to just bring up a unit behind that was already in service and do a quick swap, rather than a driver having to come across to the depot, prep a train, shunt it out, and then for it to begin service. If a train is already following behind then it's a much quicker process.

Also one thing to add, I'm noticing the wording for when the new fleet could be in passenger service is changing from "the autumn" to "towards the end of the year", I think we can all make out what that means. I'll be surprised if any make it into passenger service this year
I think it’s fair to say that seeing these units in service this year, in any notable sense, is very slim. You may get a token 1 unit that runs during the peak for two weeks in december, a shoppers ‘peak’ extra sort of thing. But to see them on a core diagram will likely not happen this year.

Volvictof

It can and does, but it's a lot quicker to just bring up a unit behind that was already in service and do a quick swap, rather than a driver having to come across to the depot, prep a train, shunt it out, and then for it to begin service. If a train is already following behind then it's a much quicker process.
I was under the impression it was going to be a case of hot spares sitting in the sidings waiting for action, if that’s not the case then your right, getting the train into service from being sat in the depot will take longer.

Killingworth

Established Member
It would, of course, be tremendous PR to have some of these units working to South Shields on Sunday 10th September, saluted overhead by the Red Arrows. But I don't expect they'd dare.

MotCO

Established Member
It would, of course, be tremendous PR to have some of these units working to South Shields on Sunday 10th September, saluted overhead by the Red Arrows. But I don't expect they'd dare.
Great North Run?

DanNCL

Established Member
Current plan is for 10 units to be on the Metro network by the end of the year. New announcements have been recorded using the same male voice as the current fleet.

Yes, the annual test of the Metro's capacity to shift large numbers in a relatively short time window. A challenge that will be greater every vear until all the new units are fully operational.
No matter how poor shape the fleet is in they won't risk the fallout that not providing an adequate afternoon service from South Shields would cause. They'll decimate the Green line service on Great North Run day if that's what it takes to provide the 7 minute headways on the South Shields branch. Conveniently timed 'modernisation works' between Airport and South Gosforth and between Pelaw and South Hylton?

Killingworth

Established Member
Current plan is for 10 units to be on the Metro network by the end of the year. New announcements have been recorded using the same male voice as the current fleet.

No matter how poor shape the fleet is in they won't risk the fallout that not providing an adequate afternoon service from South Shields would cause. They'll decimate the Green line service on Great North Run day if that's what it takes to provide the 7 minute headways on the South Shields branch. Conveniently timed 'modernisation works' between Airport and South Gosforth and between Pelaw and South Hylton?
Not a few runners head for the airport after the run. Personally I've managed to avoid the long Metro queues on that day with careful parking not too far from an exit route. I think I'd take a bus rather than the Metro, but I don't expect to be taking part this year.

ModernRailways

Established Member
Not the case at all. You could see a 30 minute frequency retained throughout the day with hot spares in Pelaw sidings if needed down towards Sunderland or Shields.

You may see a change in service pattern but the number of runners who use the Sunderland branch, and the number who head straight to the airport is no small amount and wiping out part of the network for the biggest day would not go down well, especially when you're suggesting wiping out one of the main ways people will enter the area if coming from afar.

It should all be a bit easier this year with the dual tracking down to South Shields to keep better headways and some service resilience. We should also have a few more serviceable metrocars by then, although in the week preceding it's likely we'll send some of the units up to the Airport and back to check how they're running so expect some delays if it turns out some of them have already decided to retire

zuriblue

There’s another one on the way. 555005 sitting in the platforms at Singen(htw) on the Swiss German border.

Attachments

• 1AC5F912-377A-4970-A6FC-F3898C755675.jpeg
    1AC5F912-377A-4970-A6FC-F3898C755675.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 125

ExRes

Established Member
There’s another one on the way. 555005 sitting in the platforms at Singen(htw) on the Swiss German border.

There are some more pictures of 555005 at Singen on RailAdventure GmbH facebook

RTT are now showing Wednesday 1648 0Z54 Kings Norton OTPD to Db Cargo Fan A & B Sidings, Thursday 0156 7Q55 to Belmont Down Yard, Friday 0123 7Q56 to Tyne SS and 2355 7Q57 to Pelaw Goods Loops

jh64

Stop signs going up for the new trains, spotted these at Benton. I might just have been unobservant but I don't remember seeing anything like this for the old Metro cars, apart from stuff like the mirrors or CCTV displays.

IMG-9637.jpg

IMG-9639.jpg

Image description: Signs reading '555' '5 car stop'.

hacman

Stop signs going up for the new trains, spotted these at Benton. I might just have been unobservant but I don't remember seeing anything like this for the old Metro cars, apart from stuff like the mirrors or CCTV displays.

IMG-9637.jpg

IMG-9639.jpg

They're there for the old trains too, but in the form of a yellow "S" on a black diamond shaped sign.

cakefiend

RTT are now showing Wednesday 1648 0Z54 Kings Norton OTPD to Db Cargo Fan A & B Sidings, Thursday 0156 7Q55 to Belmont Down Yard, Friday 0123 7Q56 to Tyne SS and 2355 7Q57 to Pelaw Goods Loops
Will this be RailAdventure power cards for each move?

DanNCL

Established Member

IMG-9637.jpg

IMG-9639.jpg

They're there for the old trains too, but in the form of a yellow "S" on a black diamond shaped sign.
The black and yellow hatched markings on the platforms are also to indicate stopping positions for the old fleet. Previously a white line was used, they can still be seen in some places.

Red lines are for non-standard stopping positions for the old fleet. Either for single cars or for entering the platform the “wrong” way (for example entering P3 at Monument from Manors), if not both.

Volvictof

What do you mean by this? An S looks the same both ways up so surely the S diamonds would look the same either way?
Slightly wider on the bottom… or in some cases, the top. Visible in some city centre stations and once seen, can never be unseen.

ModernRailways

Established Member
The black and yellow hatched markings on the platforms are also to indicate stopping positions for the old fleet. Previously a white line was used, they can still be seen in some places.

Red lines are for non-standard stopping positions for the old fleet. Either for single cars or for entering the platform the “wrong” way (for example entering P3 at Monument from Manors), if not both.
The red lines are for if dispatch is required.

Paul_10

I do hope our 555 units are going to be more reliable than the 777 counterparts as going by that thread, the realibility doesn't seem the best. At least our units have battery running as a back up(which could of been useful with today's disruption) but the cynic in me is doubtful how often that will be used especially in the early phases.

Trestrol

Can't see this happening as 800m of OHL "fell" down this morning at Pelaw. Won't be fixed for days.

DanNCL

Established Member
The current 555 delivery will not be completed as planned because of the OHLE damage. It will still continue to Tyne Yard tonight but onward movement from there is delayed until further notice. Nexus now won’t be able to take delivery of the 555 from RailAdventure until 4th April at the absolute earliest. Whether the 43s will leave the 555 at Tyne Yard, return to Kings Norton then collect the 555 again at a later date or if they’ll remain at Tyne Yard with the 555 is currently unknown.