• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Uckfield Line Platforms extended to hold 10 cars...

Status
Not open for further replies.

FOH

Why not temporarily curtail the service at Buxted, there's road access to the track close by and either use road-rail vehicles or make a temporary roadway on the tracks. With no trains and easy access I'm sure it could be built much faster.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

physics34

Established Member
Yeh maybe the river is an issue but I can't figure out why a lightweight platform extension can't be erected like has been put up at oxted and upper warlingham. a fella I spoke to the other day down there reckons it might be political and might be a way to justify a large budget for the works....

Chrisgr31

Established Member
Yeh maybe the river is an issue but I can't figure out why a lightweight platform extension can't be erected like has been put up at oxted and upper warlingham. a fella I spoke to the other day down there reckons it might be political and might be a way to justify a large budget for the works....

I did here somewhere some time ago, and indeed might have posted on here, something about this. Seem to recall the story was something along the lines of if they had a large budget and didnt spend it all it could be allocated to a budget for something else for the line.

Mind you not sure left over money from platform extensions will make much of a dent in the budget required for reinstating the twin track or electrification which are the only projects I can think anyone might have in mind.

MatthewParker

What are the reasons or problems regarding a platform not extending around a corner ?

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
There's a maximum curve radius rule for new (1000m radius) and extended (500m radius) platforms to avoid gaps at the platform edge and to encourage better visibility for dispatch purposes.

Location of new platforms
Horizontal track alignment through station platforms
2.1.1 Station platforms shall be located on straight track unless the particular geographical characteristics of the potential sites and the characteristics of the railway infrastructure at the proposed location of the platform do not provide a reasonable opportunity for achieving this.
2.1.2 Station platforms shall not be located on horizontal curves with radii less than 1000 m.
2.1.3 It is permitted for platform extensions to be located on horizontal curves with radii less than 1000 m but not less than 500 m.
2.1.4 Before station platforms are located on curved track, consideration shall be given to the following:
a) Train to platform stepping distances, taking the types of train likely to call at the platform into account.
b) Visibility (either direct, by means of CCTV screens, or by mirrors) along the length of trains for train crew and station staff responsible for dispatching trains.

http://www.rgsonline.co.uk/Railway_...re/Railway Group Standards/GIRT7016 Iss 5.pdf

Extending platforms around serious curves is only allowed exceptionally (e.g. recently at Farringdon), in cases where there is no reasonable alternative such as SDO at such a busy station, however down the Uckfield line SDO would obviously be allowed.

Last edited:

physics34

Established Member
http://uckfieldnews.com/railway-plat...field-station/

finally it seems things will start moving forward now.

Railway platform extension problem looks to be solved at Uckfield station
Network Rail looks to have found a solution to extending the Uckfield station platform.

It appears as if the construction work will be carried out using the existing platform as the route to the site.

The platform at Uckfield will be extended by about 48m

An official announcement from Network Rail is expected shortly.

The project ran into problems when Uckfield Town Council refused permission for a “haul” road to be put across part of Hempstead Meadows Local Nature Reserve.

An alternative plan using Mill Lane was likely to meet neighbour objections while use of Alexandra Road was ruled out.

A longer route, via the Bird-in-Eye industrial estate, was also considered.

The Uckfield Railway Line Parishes Committee has been told by Vicky Tilling, Network Rail project co-ordinator for improvements on the Uckfield Line, that construction plans had been reviewed.

A new but not untested design was proposed with access over the existing platform.

Completion target is next July

Prelimary work for extending platforms on the whole line is due to begin this month, with work beginning in September.

Completion is targeted for July next year.

Platforms are being extended along the line to allow ten-coach trains to operate.

The committee was also told at its May meeting that the 12 diesel coaches which had been moved to Southern for the Uckfield line from Scotland were in a worse condition, and refurbishment was taking longer, than expected.

It is expected that some services will be lengthened ahead of the platform work being completed.

Ms Tilling confirmed to the meeting that re-doubling the Uckfield Line to Hurst Green and electrification would be considered in the future.

In February, the UckfieldNews.com independent columnist, Observer, suggested Network Rail should look to its own resources for a solution to access the platform extension site. Observer wrote: “First rule in my line of work is to use your own people and your own resources for anything that is likely to be tricky, awkward and difficult to deliver. We don’t contract out if we sense rough going ahead.” Read the whole article here

A report of the Uckfield Railway Line Parishes Committee meeting was given last night (July 7) to members of Uckfield Town Council Environment and Leisure Committee.

- See more at: http://uckfieldnews.com/railway-pla...ved-at-uckfield-station/#sthash.XQPhj46q.dpuf

Last edited:

steamybrian

Established Member
http://uckfieldnews.com/railway-plat...field-station/

finally it seems things will start moving forward now.

Railway platform extension problem looks to be solved at Uckfield station
Network Rail looks to have found a solution to extending the Uckfield station platform.

It appears as if the construction work will be carried out using the existing platform as the route to the site.

An official announcement from Network Rail is expected shortly.

The project ran into problems when Uckfield Town Council refused permission for a “haul” road to be put across part of Hempstead Meadows Local Nature Reserve.

An alternative plan using Mill Lane was likely to meet neighbour objections while use of Alexandra Road was ruled out.

A longer route, via the Bird-in-Eye industrial estate, was also considered.

The Uckfield Railway Line Parishes Committee has been told by Vicky Tilling, Network Rail project co-ordinator for improvements on the Uckfield Line, that construction plans had been reviewed.

A new but not untested design was proposed with access over the existing platform.

Completion target is next July

Prelimary work for extending platforms on the whole line is due to begin this month, with work beginning in September.

Completion is targeted for July next year.

Platforms are being extended along the line to allow ten-coach trains to operate.

The committee was also told at its May meeting that the 12 diesel coaches which had been moved to Southern for the Uckfield line from Scotland were in a worse condition, and refurbishment was taking longer, than expected.

It is expected that some services will be lengthened ahead of the platform work being completed.

Ms Tilling confirmed to the meeting that re-doubling the Uckfield Line to Hurst Green and electrification would be considered in the future.

In February, the UckfieldNews.com independent columnist, Observer, suggested Network Rail should look to its own resources for a solution to access the platform extension site. Observer wrote: “First rule in my line of work is to use your own people and your own resources for anything that is likely to be tricky, awkward and difficult to deliver. We don’t contract out if we sense rough going ahead.” Read the whole article here

A report of the Uckfield Railway Line Parishes Committee meeting was given last night (July 7) to members of Uckfield Town Council Environment and Leisure Committee.

- See more at: http://uckfieldnews.com/railway-pla...ved-at-uckfield-station/#sthash.XQPhj46q.dpuf

It has taken NR a long time to think about something they have done elsewhere.-
Using the platform as a "haul route":roll:
Suggest they deliver the materials to site by rail or maybe they have not thought of that :roll:

Preliminary clearance work has already been undertaken at Eridge where undergrowth has been cleared and a temporary level crossing has been installed at the London end of the station.

Electrification:roll: Been talking about that for xxxxx years:roll:
Doubling the line:roll: Been talking about that since BR singled it in 1990:roll:

physics34

Established Member
It has taken NR a long time to think about something they have done elsewhere.-
Using the platform as a "haul route":roll:
Suggest they deliver the materials to site by rail or maybe they have not thought of that :roll:

Preliminary clearance work has already been undertaken at Eridge where undergrowth has been cleared and a temporary level crossing has been installed at the London end of the station.

Doubling the line:roll: Been talking about that since BR singled it in 1990:roll:

i heard from a network rail guy *wink wink* that the reason they tried to get clearance to build the platform extension via the waitrose carpark/field was so they could get a bigger budget and grant from the council..*wink wink*. It seems schemes like this are typical!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

some thing has cropped up though in the last year...........the Battery unit (class 379). This could be the answer for the Ashford to Rye and Uckfield lines.

I guess you could just electrify part of the route and the unit recharges when it goes through those sections... (is it as simple as that??)

The cost of electrifying the route is too much unless they open the extension so its pretty much stuck in a stalemate at the moment.

Chrisgr31

Established Member
Latest information on this project is that to allow the platform works at Uckfield to be carried out the station will be closed to off-peak services for some months, and totally closed for 2 weeks. The works are apparently scheduled for the autumn although it has not been announced when.

This information has come to light because of the impact of the rail replacement buses on the High Street works that are also ongoing in Uckfield. More on the Uckfield news site linked by Physics above but I cant access the site currently to provide a link.

In the meantime there is a campaign to replace the rail bridge at Crowborough as it forms a bottleneck being a low height arch. There is a campaign to provide it with a full height bridge. There was a rumour that the paltforms at Crowoborough were to be extended over the bridge although as they are talking about moving the siding I assume they are going the other way. Replacing the bridge would potentially give the option to build a lift access to Platform 2 at the same time, therefore giving the station full disabled access. However not sure any of this will happen. There was a fatal accident recently near the bridge, it will be interesting to see if the dip under the bridge is held to be at fault in any way, although I suspect the predominat cause will be excessive speed.

physics34

Established Member
Latest information on this project is that to allow the platform works at Uckfield to be carried out the station will be closed to off-peak services for some months, and totally closed for 2 weeks. The works are apparently scheduled for the autumn although it has not been announced when.

This information has come to light because of the impact of the rail replacement buses on the High Street works that are also ongoing in Uckfield. More on the Uckfield news site linked by Physics above but I cant access the site currently to provide a link.

In the meantime there is a campaign to replace the rail bridge at Crowborough as it forms a bottleneck being a low height arch. There is a campaign to provide it with a full height bridge. There was a rumour that the paltforms at Crowoborough were to be extended over the bridge although as they are talking about moving the siding I assume they are going the other way. Replacing the bridge would potentially give the option to build a lift access to Platform 2 at the same time, therefore giving the station full disabled access. However not sure any of this will happen. There was a fatal accident recently near the bridge, it will be interesting to see if the dip under the bridge is held to be at fault in any way, although I suspect the predominat cause will be excessive speed.

Yeh I read about the impact on services, yesterday,and I really don't get why they need to have train s terminate at crowborough for two weeks???!!!! I can only guess that they are rebuilding the whole platform...which isn't in the greatest shape.

I also heard about the issue at crowborough with the siding but not about the bridge. I believe the whole project on the line only needs the movement of this siding and the signal at the country end of platform 1 at crowborough,the signal at Buxted and the signal at the London end of platform 1 at Hever, as 'major' issues.

steamybrian

Established Member
Yeh I read about the impact on services, yesterday,and I really don't get why they need to have train s terminate at crowborough for two weeks???!!!! I can only guess that they are rebuilding the whole platform...which isn't in the greatest shape.

I also heard about the issue at crowborough with the siding but not about the bridge. I believe the whole project on the line only needs the movement of this siding and the signal at the country end of platform 1 at crowborough,the signal at Buxted and the signal at the London end of platform 1 at Hever, as 'major' issues.

Rebuilding the whole platform..! It was only built in 1991...!
When BR were building the new station in 1991 trains were passing the site to serve the old station. I seem to remember they withdrew only the Mondays to Fridays off peak service for about 2 weeks but without total closure.
There are plenty of other stations without road access where platforms were extended without total closure of the line.

Chrisgr31

Established Member
The SOuthern Passenger Forum today has confirmed that the entire line will be closed for 2 periods likely to be around November and February.

I guess moving a siding may take longer than a day or weekend losure, as may moving some of the other kit that needs moving at Crowborough and if it is essential to running the service I assume there is no option but a closure.

But Southern and Network Rail PR on all of this is dreadful, they should be making announcements and seeking to lead rather than allowing information to leak like a sieve.

physics34

Established Member
The SOuthern Passenger Forum today has confirmed that the entire line will be closed for 2 periods likely to be around November and February.

I guess moving a siding may take longer than a day or weekend losure, as may moving some of the other kit that needs moving at Crowborough and if it is essential to running the service I assume there is no option but a closure.

But Southern and Network Rail PR on all of this is dreadful, they should be making announcements and seeking to lead rather than allowing information to leak like a sieve.

did they say why uckfield station platform is going to take so long though?

Chrisgr31

Established Member
They said

"We have leased an additional 12 coaches for use on the Uckfield Line. These will be introduced during 2016. Network Rail is developing plans to extend the platforms on the line to take 10 coaches. It is planned that this work will be completed during 2016 but it will require the line to be closed at certain times in November and again in February to enable the work to be carried out. Plans for this work are being developed at the moment and full details will be available shortly."

physics34

Established Member
They said

"We have leased an additional 12 coaches for use on the Uckfield Line. These will be introduced during 2016. Network Rail is developing plans to extend the platforms on the line to take 10 coaches. It is planned that this work will be completed during 2016 but it will require the line to be closed at certain times in November and again in February to enable the work to be carried out. Plans for this work are being developed at the moment and full details will be available shortly."

sounds like they willbe doing most platforms at the same time. Couldnt understand why it will take so long to extend 2 coach lengths at uckfield.

snowball

Established Member
Press release

http://www.networkrailmediacentre.c...ield-will-improve-daily-commute-for-thousands

People in Kent and East Sussex can find out more about a project to boost rail capacity and reduce crowding on the Uckfield line at a series of drop-in sessions organised by Network Rail.

The exciting new project will extend 12 station platforms between Edenbridge Town and Uckfield, allowing the introduction of 10 coach trains that will reduce crowding on the Uckfield line and help to meet growing passenger demand. The new longer trains will increase capacity on the line during the morning peak by 50%.

Network Rail will build the longer platforms and infrastructure, and Govia Thameslink Railway will lease, refurbish and run the trains.

Network Rail Project Manager, Craig Melhuish, said: “By extending the platforms we will be able to run longer trains that will reduce congestion and improve the daily commute for thousands of people. Eight of the twelve platforms need to be doubled in length, which is a considerable amount of work when compared with many other platform extensions projects previously delivered on the network.”

Network Rail will start setting up site compounds at some stations in early August 2015, and start preparation works later in the month. Permanent works will start in September at some sites and in the New Year for others. The stations will be completed on a staggered basis between February and July 2016.

The main impact is summarised below:

2 November – 25 November 2015
Monday to Friday between 0920 and 1640 - The line will be closed between Hurst Green and Uckfield, with changes to last trains Monday to Thursday
4 January –20 February 2016
The line will be closed between Crowborough and Uckfield, all day.
14 March – 9 April 2016
Monday to Friday between 0920 and 1640 - The line will be closed between Hurst Green and Uckfield, with changes to last trains Monday to Thursday
There will be weekend closures from Hurst Green to Uckfield at various points between August and May

Shempz

Umm, Uckfield is at the end of the line. I suspect the people who would suffer most from the overcrowding (at least in the am peak) would be the people who get on the train nearer to London, not the people who live in Uckfield!

that would be me at Ashurst...rarely get a seat (flip down once a week if I'm lucky) - and I don't even have the luxury of getting the down train that Chris mentions, as the first down train leaves Ashurst at the same time as the first London bound train from Ashurst!

Last edited:

tsr

Established Member
For the most part, Uckfield line passengers (no doubt including the good people on this thread) are fairly disciplined and good at distributing themselves evenly throughout their trains. So hopefully longer trains and matching platforms will result in a good capacity increase for all stations to Oxted. Sadly, reports that passengers at stations as far away from London as Ashurst don't get a seat - ie. by Shempz above - are correct and therefore all stations en-route really need the extra capacity. Due to the formation of the trains, the minimum platform length for a ten-coach service to call at will be nine coaches, in case there is a two-coach unit at one end, whereby some passengers would otherwise be unable to walk through the train to access the platforms at some stations. Thus it is entirely necessary for all platforms, as well as the maximum number of trains, to be extended.

It is interesting that many of the platforms in the area used to be rather longer, including those at busy stations such as Edenbridge Town, which IIRC was almost twice as long as it is now. Of course, new platform layouts and equipment/staffing may well have to be modified because of dispatch sighting and risks, but it goes to show that it certainly was done in days of yore, before the line (shall we say) slumbered under the latter reign of BR and others.

steamybrian

Established Member
It is interesting that many of the platforms in the area used to be rather longer, including those at busy stations such as Edenbridge Town, which IIRC was almost twice as long as it is now. Of course, new platform layouts and equipment/staffing may well have to be modified because of dispatch sighting and risks, but it goes to show that it certainly was done in days of yore, before the line (shall we say) slumbered under the latter reign of BR and others.

... I am unaware of any platform on the Uckfield line being shortened in the past.?? Many years ago 9 car DEMU and loco hauled trains did operate but when stopping at stations several coaches were off the platform.

physics34

Established Member
The extra land purchased at Hever is being built on now..... By Bam Nutall who are going use it as their base for most of the work on the line. Prefabs/containers to be used as offices have been installed there.

physics34

Established Member
update: Edenbridge Town and Cowden now have those barriers/fences (blue piping) up where the platform extension work is due to take place.

Baring Buxted and Uckfield, there has been some clearing work done at all stations and it looks like Hever is having signal relocation work taking place as we speak.

Chrisgr31

Established Member
update: Edenbridge Town and Cowden now have those barriers/fences (blue piping) up where the platform extension work is due to take place.

Baring Buxted and Uckfield, there has been some clearing work done at all stations and it looks like Hever is having signal relocation work taking place as we speak.

Works well underway at Edenbridge, foundations being dug etc, diggers at Cowden where they have cleared the site, and Crowborough where it doesnt appear to have been out working yet.

physics34

Established Member
Works well underway at Edenbridge, foundations being dug etc, diggers at Cowden where they have cleared the site, and Crowborough where it doesnt appear to have been out working yet.

its interesting seeing the changes on a day by day basis. Unfortuately iam off for two weeks! :lol:

MatthewParker

I see at Edenbridge Town the extension is very close to houses I bet that is awquard for the people. Not sure why they did not go the other way even on the curve. I guess it's mainly cost as the curve radius is around 1200m and the dispatch surely would still be straightforward. Any ideas ?

Status
Not open for further replies.