• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ugliest Train in the UK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The giants of steam did have a few off days. Although I must admit I can't immediately think of anything Gresley or Stanier built that was truly ugly. Then you had Collett who designed the Kings and Castles, truly beautiful locos. Then he got into the smelling salts...

6014%20King%20Henry%20VII%20in%20semi%20streamlined%20condition%20minus%20piston%20streamlining-XL.jpg
Oh yes. The streamlining really didn’t work when done like that. Not pretty at all.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheEdge

Established Member
Oh yes. The streamlining really didn’t work when done like that. Not pretty at all.

The story goes he simply placed some vaguely molded lumps of engineers clay on a model and had them built. Although that might be a myth.

fowler9

Established Member
The giants of steam did have a few off days. Although I must admit I can't immediately think of anything Gresley or Stanier built that was truly ugly. Then you had Collett who designed the Kings and Castles, truly beautiful locos. Then he got into the smelling salts...

6014%20King%20Henry%20VII%20in%20semi%20streamlined%20condition%20minus%20piston%20streamlining-XL.jpg
Oh my, sadly I've seen that before, it fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down. Saw Mallard and Duchess of Hamilton in the NRM yesterday and they were gorgeous.

Status
Not open for further replies.