• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

UK General Election 2024

Bayum

Established Member
General election confirmed for July 4th 2024.

After a day of rampant speculation that Rishi Sunak was on the verge of announcing a summer general, the prime minister made a statement in front of No 10 confirming it will be held on 4 July

After an extraordinary day of rumours, the premier has taken a massive gamble by announcing the date as Thursday, July 4 - despite Labour being miles ahead in the polls.

Rishi Sunak has called a surprise general election for 4 July in a high stakes gamble that will see Keir Starmer try to win power for Labour after 14 years of Conservative-led government.

Looking forward to seeing other edited posts accompanied with references and sources.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nlogax

Established Member
The votes of no confidence are just side comedy. Truly a lunatic, in-denial fringe of a party absolutely resigned to spending the next parliament firmly in welded to the opposition benches.

Didn't see a July 4th poll coming though. The slightest chunk of light in the economic figures and apparently that's reason enough..

SteveM70

Established Member
Campbell-Bannerman clinging to the notion that the King might refuse the dissolution. This is just insanity

Peterthegreat

Established Member
The votes of no confidence are just side comedy. Truly a lunatic, in-denial fringe of a party absolutely resigned to spending the next parliament firmly in welded to the opposition benches.

Didn't see a July 4th poll coming though. The slightest chunk of light in the economic figures and apparently that's reason enough..
Perhaps the next inflation figures will be higher.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
An election now would scupper the Derby saving order wouldn't it? Purdah and all that... as well as a potential likely change of government.

SteveM70

Established Member
Confirmed. Independence Day

Sunak stood in the pouring rain trying to look statesmanlike whilst Things Can Only Get Wetter blares out.

Sorry, I mean Things Can Only Get Better

brad465

Established Member
Confirmed. Independence Day

Sunak stood in the pouring rain trying to look statesmanlike whilst Things Can Only Get Wetter blares out.

Sorry, I mean Things Can Only Get Better
That'll be Steve Bray, the protestor well known for playing music in the background of interviews in Westminster.

dgl

Established Member
Loads of additional and unwanted BS from Sunak, trust him over labour? I don't think so!

jon0844

Veteran Member
He didn't even finish his speech by saying thank you or saying goodbye.

But, hey, things can only get better.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Must admit I didn't see that coming until earlier this afternoon. Rishi Sunak got a bit wet. :lol:

Sorcerer

Despite not being too fond of Keir Starmer's Labour Party, I am glad that the country will now have the chance to kick out this frankly disastrous government. Not to be a doom-monger, but part of me deep down has a strange feeling that it could end up being closer than it seems.

Bantamzen

Established Member
So 6 weeks of shouting and arguing before the people on the government side of the House change tie colours, then get back to mucking things up....

Glad I'm spending at least the first few days of the crap show far away in the sun..

SteveM70

Established Member
To begin what was essentially his first campaign speech by banging on about his part in the furlough scheme was an interesting tactic. "Vote for me, I gave away gazillions of pounds of public money without any proper checks and balances in place and there was loads of fraud. But you can't trust the Labour Party to manage the country's finances"

12LDA28C

Established Member
Can we predict a settlement of the ASLEF dispute in the next few weeks with the Conservatives safe in the knowledge that it won't be them paying for it?

Iskra

Established Member
To begin what was essentially his first campaign speech by banging on about his part in the furlough scheme was an interesting tactic. "Vote for me, I gave away gazillions of pounds of public money without any proper checks and balances in place and there was loads of fraud. But you can't trust the Labour Party to manage the country's finances"
Appealing to the left ;)

Jon_jpwh

I don't understand why he didn't use the press briefing room to avoid standing in the pouring rain. Also I didn't realize he was allowed to use the announcement to make a party political broadcast.

SteveM70

Established Member
Can we predict a settlement of the ASLEF dispute in the next few weeks with the Conservatives safe in the knowledge that it won't be them paying for it?

Put it on the list with juniors doctors, the infected blood victims, the post office victims etc etc

I don't understand why he didn't use the press briefing room to avoid standing in the pouring rain

Because they're a bunch of automatons who can't react to events

I didn't realize he was allowed to use the announcement to make a party political broadcast

I don't think he was

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Loads of additional and unwanted BS from Sunak, trust him over labour? I don't think so!
He evidently has no regrets about cancelling HS2 beyond Handsacre.
The draft Rail Reform Bill will die next week.

Labour will now have to put the money it hasn't got where its mouth is.

Esker-pades

Established Member
Yes, it's the same rational logic behind scrapping the northern leg of HS2 and spending some of the money on filling potholes against a backdrop of net-zero aspirations.
Personally, I'm very glad HS2 was scrapped to fill some potholes in Willesden.

(Image below is a now deleted graphic from the DfT's Twitter/X)

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 108

Sorcerer

Personally, I'm very glad HS2 was scrapped to fill some potholes in Willesden.

(Image below is a now deleted graphic from the DfT's Twitter/X)
A Network North project? I knew Rishi Sunak was out of touch, but surely even he knew London's geographical location?

SteveM70

Established Member
If advocating for your party was banned in political speeches every politician would be in trouble for every speech ever

It wasn't (meant to be) a political speech - it was announcing the dissolution of Parliament and the date of the election. That's the job of the prime minister

The political stuff is the job of the leader of the Conservative Party.

brad465

Established Member
Will the Government be allowed to do that sort of business while Parliament is dissolved, and if they do they'll have other priorities. If ASLEF are sensible (yeah I know), they won't hold anymore action until they've at least tried to talk to the next administration.