• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

UK Rail Map Info

03_179

Established Member
Slightly off the wall question regarding the UK railway lines.

Does anyone have or know where to obtain a free route/railway line map in a GPX of KLM format ?
I'm hoping to build a online map of journeys made on the rail network using something like Google maps.
I cannot always carry around a hard backed book when out and about so having my trips I have done on an online version online would be good.

Thanks in advance,

EDIT:

And if anyone has a GPX / KLM file of all the UK stations please

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HST43257

Established Member
I’m not sure I can help with GPX/KLM stuff (I don’t know much about it) but take your pick from ones on the link below. Shows multiple maps of the entire rail network. Should be downloadable on way or another.

RailWonderer

Established Member
The SBB website has an interactive map (obviously with their routes in red and everybody else's in grey). I have dragged it to the UK with this link
And you can see the UK network in its entirety if you zoom in enough.

RailwayRookie

The SBB website has an interactive map (obviously with their routes in red and everybody else's in grey). I have dragged it to the UK with this link
And you can see the UK network in its entirety if you zoom in enough.

Avanti as a much better map including some/most freight only branches too. Although also not in the format OP asked for. Could be of some use still.

bigbigcheese

Using openstreetmap.org datasets could be quite interesting, you can use the Overpass API with various queries to extract the data you want in various forms and format to your hearts content. Alternatively the openstreetmap.org wiki will give you many ideas for retrieving data in other ways.

03_179

Established Member
Thanks

I have downloaded QGIS and the data from Edinburgh Uni and imported it.
Just trying to figure out out how to use either GPX or KML data in QGIS to colour it.

jackdoyle

I've used this Ordnance Survey dataset before that includes railway lines, stations etc.

Dave |H

Hi 03179 and anyone else who wants to use the file,

I've created a GPX file of all the stations in the UK (hopefully - if any are missing let me know and I'll update the file...) along
with some junctions and other stuff...

Feel free to use it at your discretion..

Dave H
Bristol

PS swap the .txt for .gpx

Last edited: