• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ukranian residency card abuse

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmartin

I've noticed a lot of people getting on buses and trains near me trying to use ukranian ID cards as a ticket, clearly not speaking ukranian or russian whatsoever before. My assumption these are fake IDs.

I think quite large scale fraud going on with this - as even if they were ukranian, it's only valid for the first couple of days and I really doubt that suddenly loads of people have started moving over.

Is the scheme due to end soon?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Extended until June 2023, but the requirements are that they have to present a Ukrainian passport (given they'd need one to enter the UK) AND evidence of entry (such as boarding pass from an airline or free ticket from Eurostar) via any airport, seaport, coach or Eurostar station in Great Britain within the previous 2 days, and that qualifies them for a Single journey to any station in Great Britain.

Established Member
I've noticed a lot of people getting on buses and trains near me trying to use ukranian ID cards as a ticket, clearly not speaking ukranian or russian whatsoever before. My assumption these are fake IDs.

I think quite large scale fraud going on with this - as even if they were ukranian, it's only valid for the first couple of days and I really doubt that suddenly loads of people have started moving over.

Is the scheme due to end soon?
Are you in Wales by any chance?

mrmartin

Typically arabic (or maybe persian?). I mean maybe they are displaced but given the way they don't protest at all when the bus driver doesn't let them on makes me suggest they are not genuine!

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Wow. Two weeks ago I saw one get on the bus I was on in Cardiff. Did not look Ukranian to me. Driver let him on once he told him he was Ukranian - no sign of id or card. I did not know that its only valid for a few days.

zero

Typically arabic (or maybe persian?). I mean maybe they are displaced but given the way they don't protest at all when the bus driver doesn't let them on makes me suggest they are not genuine!

Interesting. I was expecting your answer to be something like Polish or Romanian... then I would not be writing the below:

At Athens airport I have seen people, who appear to be from Arabic-speaking countries, attempt to board Schengen flights, for example to Germany and the Netherlands.

All passengers on the flights are asked for ID, but these people have their ID rejected by the gate agents, and in the way you describe, they just accept this without protest and walk away. Greek police are occasionally nearby and don't do anything.

They must have had valid boarding passes in order to pass security and be at the boarding gates, so I don't really understand what they are trying to achieve - I guess they want to go to Germany to claim asylum but do they just keep paying for flights they can't take in the hope that their fake ID will get accepted at some point?

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Interesting. I was expecting your answer to be something like Polish or Romanian... then I would not be writing the below:

At Athens airport I have seen people, who appear to be from Arabic-speaking countries, attempt to board Schengen flights, for example to Germany and the Netherlands.

All passengers on the flights are asked for ID, but these people have their ID rejected by the gate agents, and in the way you describe, they just accept this without protest and walk away. Greek police are occasionally nearby and don't do anything.

They must have had valid boarding passes in order to pass security and be at the boarding gates, so I don't really understand what they are trying to achieve - I guess they want to go to Germany to claim asylum but do they just keep paying for flights they can't take in the hope that their fake ID will get accepted at some point?
It is my impression that some types keep trying until they succeed. Right bunch of chancers some people are.

CyrusWuff

Established Member

Gloster

Established Member
Wow. Two weeks ago I saw one get on the bus I was on in Cardiff. Did not look Ukranian to me. Driver let him on once he told him he was Ukranian - no sign of id or card. I did not know that its only valid for a few days.

What on earth do you mean by ‘did not look Ukrainian’? Surely they shouldn‘t be eating borscht, dancing the pryvitannya, wearing ochipoks, or even wearing battledress?

Peter Sarf

Established Member
What on earth do you mean by ‘did not look Ukrainian’? Surely they shouldn‘t be eating borscht, dancing the pryvitannya, wearing ochipoks, or even wearing battledress?
I was going more by their face and skin colour. Dress does not mean much.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
There are websites where you can buy fake ID for £30 or so, so it’s not a surprise that some people will chance their arm. Always the way.

Perhaps there needs to be the odd police check. These people won’t be traceable by normal revenue protection, but the police will probably know them.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
So? Why should Ukrainians get an automatic thumbs up while every other refugee is denied? Are they chancers now?
TBH I think its a bit naive just giving Ukranians the privilege of free travel. It could be asked why not other people and more than just refugees. So a line has to be drawn somewhere. I do think allowing free travel for a short period after arrival was a good way of ensuring LEGAL refugees could get to where they were to settle. BUT I think the Welsh approach of leaving it open ended is daft.

As for chancers. I doubt if they are all refugees, maybe not even a significant proportion. There are plenty of chancers born and bred in this country.

ATrainSpotter

TBH I think its a bit naive just giving Ukranians the privilege of free travel. It could be asked why not other people and more than just refugees. So a line has to be drawn somewhere. I do think allowing free travel for a short period after arrival was a good way of ensuring LEGAL refugees could get to where they were to settle. BUT I think the Welsh approach of leaving it open ended is daft.

As for chancers. I doubt if they are all refugees, maybe not even a significant proportion. There are plenty of chancers born and bred in this country.
The chancers wouldn't be refugees then if they were born in this country.

danm14

The Welsh scheme is particularly interesting in that - by accepting an Afghan, Hong Kong (BNO) or Ukrainian passport alone as proof of eligibility - it (de facto) entitles any Afghan, Hong Kong (BNO), or Ukrainian citizen to free travel, regardless of whether they are a refugee.

mrmartin

It's different in Wales, as it's unlimited free travel for any refugee.

Source: https://www.gov.wales/free-bus-and-train-travel-advice-refugees
Ok, did not know that at all. Could well be speaking Farsi then! But the bus drivers always reject them - not sure what ID they are showing and they get off and wait for the next bus. Guards on trains do accept them. Not sure why the drivers are rejecting them then unless the ID is clearly a fake!

Pretty mad scheme really, as someone says means unlimited free travel for anyone with that passport.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
As there appear to be some unsubstantiated allegations being posted here we will bring the thread to a close.

If anyone has any concerns re possible wrongdoing they can of course report it to the relevant authorities.

thanks all

Status
Not open for further replies.