• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Un-made roads/tracks with public access around Yorkshire...

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexl92

Established Member
Hi all,

Bit of a random topic really but I'm not sure where else to go and the residents of this forum are usually a knowledgeable bunch!

I'm interested to know whether there are still any un-paved rural roads or tracks around West Yorkshire/the north peak district/the pennines?

I really enjoy exploring and my housemate and I went a few weeks ago to find a road between Bradford and Halifax that he discovered a couple of years ago which was unpaved and went through some dramatic landscape, but when we went back a few weeks ago it had been tarmac'd over.

I'm only interested in roads that are open to the public - I don't wanna get shot at by an angry farmer with a shotgun - and that in normal weather (ie not snow or torrential rain) are passable in a normal car rather than a 4x4 or a tractor!

Any suggestions gratefully received. I'm based near Huddersfield so anywhere in the Leeds/Huddersfield/Bradford/Halifax/Meltham/Marsden/Diggle/Hebden Bridge area or thereabouts!

Cheers!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
The only unmade road in the Yorkshire area I know is the A18(M).
It's a bit overgrown though. Interesting road in my opinion.
I do remember a non tarmacked road near Bolton Abbey, but it was 10 years ago.
On Telly there seams to be ample walking paths around Holmfirth in Last of the Summer Wine which looks great. Marsden too on Where the Heart Is (or was now).
Hope that helps.

Ploughman

Established Member
I was trapped in by flooding between Hebden Bridge and Mytholmroyd while on an overnight tamping shift.
Main road had cars totally submerged covering the roofs so no way out that way.
Had a nosey around and found a small cart track that went up the South side hillside through some backyards and ended up on the road to Sowerby Bridge.
That track was literally just a track with some cobbles.

IanD

Established Member
Cold Edge Road between Wainstalls and Oxenhope was pretty much unmade north of the site of the sadly no more Top Withens pub (where the path from Ogden joins). Might have been improved now they've stuck some turbines on the moor.

Priesthorpe Road which runs from Woodhall Hills to the Leeds ring road near Farsley might meet your requirements. Also Woodhall Road which goes the opposite way from Woodhall Hills towards Fagley/Thornbury had the Google street car traverse it back in the early days.

Basically, any byway shown on the OS 1:25000 map sheets (available through Bing maps) as a line of green crosses or some roads which are overlaid with a series of green dots are likely to fulfil your criteria but the standard of the surface will vary considerably.

http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/docs/legends/25k-raster-legend.pdf

What was the road between Bradford and Halifax?

alexl92

Established Member
Cold Edge Road between Wainstalls and Oxenhope was pretty much unmade north of the site of the sadly no more Top Withens pub (where the path from Ogden joins). Might have been improved now they've stuck some turbines on the moor.

Priesthorpe Road which runs from Woodhall Hills to the Leeds ring road near Farsley might meet your requirements. Also Woodhall Road which goes the opposite way from Woodhall Hills towards Fagley/Thornbury had the Google street car traverse it back in the early days.

Basically, any byway shown on the OS 1:25000 map sheets (available through Bing maps) as a line of green crosses or some roads which are overlaid with a series of green dots are likely to fulfil your criteria but the standard of the surface will vary considerably.

http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/docs/legends/25k-raster-legend.pdf

What was the road between Bradford and Halifax?

It was indeed Cold Edge Road! They've tarmac'd the length now unfortunately.

Based on the Wikipedia article, what I'm after is a green lane or a 'Byway Open to All Traffic' or BOAT. Any further suggestions gratefully appreciated :)

Cheers!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.