• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unable To Make Interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAZ8365

Hi guys, I’ve today received an email to have a virtual interview next Tuesday for a signaller position, I’m unable to get this day off from work due to a colleague going to Berlin, if I say I can’t make it and ask if they can reschedule for my rest day the following week will this go against me or will they say no that’s the date and that’s it, also worried if I postpone it then they might fill the position by the time I get my interview!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Milink

I rescheduled mine and was fine. If you are currently working I should think they would expect and understand these requests. It shouldn’t go against you all it shows is a sense of commitment and responsibility for the job you are currently in.

JLyons

Hi guys, I’ve today received an email to have a virtual interview next Tuesday for a signaller position, I’m unable to get this day off from work due to a colleague going to Berlin, if I say I can’t make it and ask if they can reschedule for my rest day the following week will this go against me or will they say no that’s the date and that’s it, also worried if I postpone it then they might fill the position by the time I get my interview!

If you can’t get the time off for the interview, then you can’t get the time off and that’s it, you don’t have any choice other than to say you can’t do that date and request another. It won’t go against you as this happens often, it might give someone else a better chance who takes your slot but who knows, as long as you get it rescheduled and give a good interview then I’m sure they’ll always choose the best candidate

Spincity

Unfortunately you can’t make the interview, you’ve 3 choices, move it, not turn up or throw a sickie. There is only one option, ask to move it, hopefully they understand

Ducatist4

If its on Teams and they can't move it can you find a quiet corner at work to do it? I've interviewed applicants before with them using their mobile whilst they are wandering around a building site..

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
You can only request and see what they say. But I’ve known this happen a lot with no problem. You can state you are unavailable or on annual leave or whatever it may be.

They’re not under an obligation to reschedule but ultimately they want to interview you so as long as it isn’t an extended postponement and you’re not being really difficult about it (declining a bunch of alternative dates or you want in 1 month in the future), hopefully you’ll be fine.

Danieldaniel

It depends how much you want the job. I recently couldn’t attend an interview due to being out of the country and when I told them this they said they’d get back to me with an alternative date. A few weeks later, I chased it up and was told no alternatives were available and I’ve now lost out on any chance to go after that job for the short term. If you want the job, that’s what sick pay is for

Iamanoob

Had an interview last year with Scotrail that I got time off from work (said I had a dentist appointment), they then cancelled the day before and rearranged it for the following week which I couldn't make due to work , they then asked me when I was available and they arranged the interview around my schedule.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
A few weeks later, I chased it up and was told no alternatives were available and I’ve now lost out on any chance to go after that job for the short term. If you want the job, that’s what sick pay is for

That’s an unfortunate experience, but no that’s not what sick pay is for, as should be self-evident. If you choose to use it as that, those are your own decisions.

Established Member

I’d ask if you can rearrange and, if not, simply go sick. We often read on here of people waiting years for these opportunities, so it seems a little odd to pass one up just for the sake of not having sick day.

Put another way, you’re presumably planning on resigning if you get an offer, so you cannot feel that much loyalty to your current employer!

Archvile

That’s an unfortunate experience, but no that’s not what sick pay is for, as should be self-evident. If you choose to use it as that, those are your own decisions.

That's clearly not what they meant. Taking a sick day to go job hunting is like a traffic light changing from green to amber - technically it means stop, but in the real world it means floor it through if it's safe to do so.

Roger1973

Except that many employers treat taking sick leave as a disciplinary offence, and it may not do references any good.

And if you've already asked for the day as holiday, or for a rest day / shift change, and this has been turned down, then reporting sick is more likely to be treated with suspicion.

It is disappointing that so many employers are so inflexible with interview dates - particularly in the transport sector where you'd have thought they would know that operational staff in particular can't just choose their days off at a moment's notice.

The system often seems to be designed with the idea that everyone seeking jobs is a recent university leaver who is treating job hunting as a full time occupation.

Established Member
Except that many employers treat taking sick leave as a disciplinary offence, and it may not do references any good.

Employers will treat being caught falsely taking sick leave as a disciplinary offence, but otherwise the effect of an employee calling in sick will depend on the organisation’s attendance at work policy, and will generally be minimal, absent significant prior sickness.

And if you've already asked for the day as holiday, or for a rest day / shift change, and this has been turned down, then reporting sick is more likely to be treated with suspicion.

Agreed, but I think the OP has suggested they know they won’t get leave as a colleague is away, rather than that they've already had leave declined. In which case it’s strategically probably better not to ask for the day off at all, and simply go sick.

Even if they go sick on a day they’ve had turned down for AL, absent being caught out lying, there’s little an employer can do other than apply their usual attendance policy.

It is disappointing that so many employers are so inflexible with interview dates - particularly in the transport sector where you'd have thought they would know that operational staff in particular can't get just choose their days off at a moment's notice.

The harsh reality is that recruitment is extremely expensive in terms of budget and manager time, and they have plenty of applicants for these roles, so don’t need to be particularly accommodating - that’s especially the case for new entrants to the industry. If they have a finite number of interview slots, and someone can’t make it/is awkward, they can simply move onto the next person on the list.

Last edited:

Milink

That's clearly not what they meant. Taking a sick day to go job hunting is like a traffic light changing from green to amber - technically it means stop, but in the real world it means floor it through if it's safe to do so.
Agreed

Spincity

Employers will treat being caught falsely taking sick leave as a disciplinary offence, but otherwise the effect of an employee calling in sick will depend on the organisation’s attendance at work policy, and will generally be minimal, absent significant prior sickness.

Agreed, but I think the OP has suggested they know they won’t get leave as a colleague is away, rather than that they've already had leave declined. In which case it’s strategically probably better not to ask for the day off at all, and simply go sick.

Even if they go sick on a day they’ve had turned down for AL, absent being caught out lying, there’s little an employer can do other than apply their usual attendance policy.

The harsh reality is that recruitment is extremely expensive in terms of budget and manager time, and they have plenty of applicants for these roles, so don’t need to be particularly accommodating - that’s especially the case for new entrants to the industry. If they have a finite number of interview slots, and someone can’t make it/is awkward, they can simply move onto the next person on the list.
So your recommendation is to commit fraud. Potentially putting current and future employment at risk.

Established Member
So your recommendation is to commit fraud. Potentially putting current and future employment at risk.

I’m not sure if this is a serious comment. Nobody in the real world worries about being prosecuted for fraud for pulling a sicky, because it never happens :lol:. Neither will it affect either current or future employment, unless you do something very stupid.

As explained, I’d try to rearrange first, but if that wasn’t possible the choice between pulling a sickie and missing out on an opportunity I might never get again would be a no brainer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.