• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Uncommon Bus specific road signage

Status
Not open for further replies.

scosutsut

Qualifying criteria: lessor seen signage on a public highway that is specific to buses and/or coaches only...

I'll start off proceedings with this which I noticed the other day and it got me wondering what else is out there?

Caption: road sign reading "Saloon Buses Only" - prior to the Newcraighall Railway Bridge, when heading eastbound on the A6095.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DunsBus

Established Member
Qualifying criteria: lessor seen signage on a public highway that is specific to buses and/or coaches only...

I'll start off proceedings with this which I noticed the other day and it got me wondering what else is out there?

Caption: road sign reading "Saloon Buses Only" - prior to the Newcraighall Railway Bridge, when heading eastbound on the A6095.

That sign has been there for many years - I remember first seeing it in 1987. It's a throwback to when the 14 used to turn at Newcraighall, the old terminus being where the station car park is now.

It's actually one of two signs. Its opposite number for westbound traffic is at the other side of the bridge, opposite Newcraighall Drive. That one was originally further out, at the low double bridge at the east end of Newcraighall, and was moved to where it is now when that bridge was taken away a few years back.

D2007wsm

Established Member
There always used to be signs branded for the local operator instructing buses to engage first gear at the top of a steep hill to descend. I don’t know how many of these are left nowadays.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
There always used to be signs branded for the local operator instructing buses to engage first gear at the top of a steep hill to descend. I don’t know how many of these are left nowadays.

There are a pair of those types of signs still there (I think) around Whitby. One is for Blue Bank near Sleights....

....and this one in NBC script near Goathland

philthetube

Established Member
there used to be one by a railway bridge near me which stated Weight limit 11 tons, except buses up to 14 tons, this was weird as you would never have got a bus down the road it was on.

Think the weights were right, it is a childhood memory.

Contains Nuts

This is in Biddulph, Staffordshire. Interestingly the sign got replaced during recent roadworks despite buses not serving the road for years.

Attachments

• ED2AB297-67C9-4FEE-BE3A-64F2BBC1E6E6.jpeg
    ED2AB297-67C9-4FEE-BE3A-64F2BBC1E6E6.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 127

PeterC

Established Member
There are a pair of those types of signs still there (I think) around Whitby. One is for Blue Bank near Sleights....

There was a United one in Ruswarp as well. fixed to the side of a house. According to StreetView it was still there in August 2018. I haven't had occasion to drive through the village since before 2010 so can't say if it is still there.

D2007wsm

Established Member

I can remember seeing some Badgerline branded ones somewhere or another, but I can’t remember exactly where being too young.

Another example I have seen today, is at either end of the guideway in Bristol which the M2 uses. At each end there is a sign saying something along the lines of guided buses only.

Hophead

Established Member
I can remember seeing some Badgerline branded ones somewhere or another, but I can’t remember exactly where being too young.

Another example I have seen today, is at either end of the guideway in Bristol which the M2 uses. At each end there is a sign saying something along the lines of guided buses only.

Same signs in Crawley (and wherever else guided buses operate, I daresay). They sit on a pole below a no-entry symbol.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
There was a United one in Ruswarp as well. fixed to the side of a house. According to StreetView it was still there in August 2018. I haven't had occasion to drive through the village since before 2010 so can't say if it is still there.

As of February 2020 it was still there! I caught sight of it as a group of Forumites passed through on a Coastliner bus from York! Took me very by surprise as there isn't that much obvious evidence of United anymore that I'm aware of (though as those that know me will attest I'm not much for buses :lol:) Anyone interested should be able to find it here: https://goo.gl/maps/KxDAS6nRyyzZ2yhn6

L401CJF

Established Member
Theres one in Liverpool that says "SMART Buses only" , however has been a good decade at least since they phased all that out

quarella

There was a Badgerline "Stop and engage first gear" sign albeit a Badgerline sticker on the Bristol Omnibus sign on Rownham Hill between Abbots Leigh and Ashton Gate for buses on the Portishead route. I expect there were others across the area. Bath I would think has a suitable hill or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.