• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Understanding Delay Repay claim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razor1967

Hi all. (sorry for the long post)

I have submitted a delay repay to LNER today for a bit of a disaster of a day. I had previously booked via LNER website and bought a York to Sheffield off peak return for £20.50 to attend a hospital appointment at Sheffield Hallamshire today. I had booked seats with Cross country trains each way. However I arrived at York Station early and as it was an off peak return ticket I decided to get an earlier train and change at Doncaster giving me an extra 45 minutes to get to the hospital for my 1530 appointment.

However I made the mistake of getting on the 12.02 propelled by 91130 which broke down just outside Doncaster. We were finally rescued by the 67 sat a mile away more than 2 and a half hours later, which is pretty poor bearing in mind the proximity of the loco. Finally getting into Doncaster at 15.12 all the Sheffield trains I could have caught had long gone and it was impossible to get to Sheffield for the hospital appointment. I rang them up to warn them I wasnt going to make it and cut my losses and "luckily" an Edinburgh train pulled in and I went back home within 10 minutes of eventually getting off the train.

I have submitted a Delay Repay for £20.50 as a "Missed connection" due to the 169 minute delay. I have two questions, as I had initially reserved a seat on the Cross Country service from York (12.43 via Leeds) but had got the earlier train to give me more time (bad idea), could they turn round and reject because I didnt get train I reserved on, which actually ran to time. Secondly I have also claimed for the return ticket as I clearly didn't use it. I scanned the tickets and have sent them through and got the standard acknowledgment email.

It is my first claim and reading the info it is not clear if they will accept the full claim. The outward ticket was checked by the Train Manager and scribbled on but the return ticket is of course unused.

As an aside the info given from the train was pretty appalling. I was sat in the rear coach and I heard the clunk of the pantagraph drop along with all the main train lights and air con as it slowed . They said it was a power supply problem that caused the fault, but not sure if it was the loco itself that failed as plenty of trains passed going north. After 30 minuted we were told the rescue loco was on its way to be told an hour later it had been cancelled and the driver was in the rear cab trying to coax the 91 back into life. 2 hours and 50 minutes after failing, the rescue loco 67016 did eventually drag us into the Station. By then the train was getting very hot due to no air con. Even then the Train Manager said stay on the train as it would now be heading on to London. I said to the passengers nearby that it would be highly unlikely as the 91 had failed. Ladies with babies and luggage said they would stay put as they had seats. Lo and behold as I got off the train the platform announcer was saying the train was terminating and to get onto the packed Azuma pulling in which was stuck behind us. I went back on to inform them as they still hadn't been told at this point and I felt sorry from them all getting babies and luggage together to detrain. I really hope they held the train and everyone managed to get on.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

furlong

Established Member
I would cancel the incorrect Delay Repay claim and instead claim a full refund from the original retailer, LNER.
Read the Conditions of Travel.

30.1Conditions 30.1 – 30.4 cover all Tickets other than Season Tickets, and also apply if you
have begun your journey but are unable to complete it due to a delay
to, or
cancellation of, your service. In such cases, you are permitted to return to your point
of origin and still get a refund.

You may return an unused Ticket to the original retailer or Train Company from whom
it was purchased, where you will be given a full refund with no administration fee
charged, if you decide not to travel because the train you intended to use is:
cancelled, or
delayed, or
rescheduled from that in Published Timetable of the Day after you have purchased a
Ticket or Tickets, or
your reservation will not be honoured

Razor1967

I would cancel the incorrect Delay Repay claim and instead claim a full refund from the original retailer, LNER.
Read the Conditions of Travel.
Oh OK, how do I return the tickets, is there a different claim form to complete as I am a bit confused now.

Haywain

Veteran Member
The appropriate claim would be for a full refund for an abandoned journey. In any event, under Delay Repay you won’t get back more than the ticket price but I suspect your claim could be rejected as you do not have an arrival time at your destination.

Razor1967

The appropriate claim would be for a full refund for an abandoned journey. In any event, under Delay Repay you won’t get back more than the ticket price but I suspect your claim could be rejected as you do not have an arrival time at your destination.
The Delay Repay claim has been accepted for the full £20.60 this morning. A satisfactory ending to what was a terrible journey. Hopefully everybody else didn't miss flights etc because of it.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The Delay Repay claim has been accepted for the full £20.60 this morning. A satisfactory ending to what was a terrible journey. Hopefully everybody else didn't miss flights etc because of it.
Technically speaking you should notify them that you have wrongly claimed for Delay Repay and instead want to claim for a refund, having abandoned your journey.

That being said, I wouldn't worry about it too much now. Just note for future reference that, if you return to your origin due to disruption, it's a refund you need to claim, not delay compensation.

Status
Not open for further replies.