• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unexplained speed restrictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

VideozVideoz

There are currently 2 sections of railway where trains crawl and I’d like to understand the rationale behind it.

1) Halfway between Disley and Middlewood going northbound ONLY, the train crawls to like 5mph on the edge of Lyme Park. Why?? Never used to do this in previous decades. And note, this speed restriction is only northbound, not southbound

2) A new 20mph restriction has been put in place between New Mills Central and Strines. This is more recent and you can see a yellow 20 card adjacent to the track. Can’t remember if this is northbound only this restriction

If anyone knows why, please do enlighten me. I find it rather frustrating, espescially the Disley/middlewood one.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Starmill

Veteran Member
I think they're because issues have been identified at those crossings.

MOONY

There are currently 2 sections of railway where trains crawl and I’d like to understand the rationale behind it.

1) Halfway between Disley and Middlewood going northbound ONLY, the train crawls to like 5mph on the edge of Lyme Park. Why?? Never used to do this in previous decades. And note, this speed restriction is only northbound, not southbound

2) A new 20mph restriction has been put in place between New Mills Central and Strines. This is more recent and you can see a yellow 20 card adjacent to the track. Can’t remember if this is northbound only this restriction

If anyone knows why, please do enlighten me. I find it rather frustrating, espescially the Disley/middlewood one.
There Is another intriguing one at Carstairs - there is a long stretch of straight line after you leave the south to east curve towards Edinburgh which was 30MPH before the recent upgrade [now 50MPH]. Can anyone throw some light on this one please?

The Planner

Veteran Member
There Is another intriguing one at Carstairs - there is a long stretch of straight line after you leave the south to east curve towards Edinburgh which was 30MPH before the recent upgrade [now 50MPH]. Can anyone throw some light on this one please?
Could have been anything, probably just historic, didn't cause any issues and would never have merited doing anything in isolation so just sorted as part of the wider scheme.

Starmill

Veteran Member
If it's a crossing it might be fixed by installing mitigation at the crossing. If it's a track defect it should be fixed in the regular cycle. If it's a weak structure or the crossing can't be mitigated for some reason, the temporary restrictions often stick around for months or years while a plan is worked up for intervening. And finally if it's a buried structure or something in the earthworks related to the local ground conditions, it will probably just stick around until it either gets worse or fails completely, or scheduled major works provide an opportunity to do something about it. It could also be something which is influenced by the weather, during hot weather combined with less rain than usual, as ground dries out more than it usually does, movement which needs to be monitored might be found and a restriction imposed. Same for the reverse with excessive runoff.

Last edited:

Spectre010

Hi,

They are both civils related. The one on the Buxton line has been on a while is due to a retaining wall/earthwork issue where a stream damaged a wall at the base of the slope.

The one at Hague Bar is more recent and suspected to be earthworks related as the embankment is on sidelong ground m, but investigations are on going.

Not sure of timescales for removal but I believe both sites are being monitored for movement.

VideozVideoz

Hi,

They are both civils related. The one on the Buxton line has been on a while is due to a retaining wall/earthwork issue where a stream damaged a wall at the base of the slope.

The one at Hague Bar is more recent and suspected to be earthworks related as the embankment is on sidelong ground m, but investigations are on going.

Not sure of timescales for removal but I believe both sites are being monitored for movement.
Thanks for this. The Disley/Middlewood one has indeed been longstanding. Cant see it being fixed anytime soon. And I agree the Hague bar one is more recent. Bet this persists too

Status
Not open for further replies.