• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unified GCR operations and organisations?

ShadowKnight

Forgive me if this has been discussed previously.

I have been thinking about when eventually the GCR bridge project is complete with track from Leicester to Nottingham, has there been any thought put to or plans made to how the unified railway will operate day to day or organisationally be structured.

I am not too familiar with either GCR at the moment however with some research online there seems to be some duplication with each side having their own operating/volunteer groups and own charitable trusts owning the infrastructure.

How much of this would change when a merger occurs? Would they merge as one with preference from one railway over the other? Or would it be more like two operators interfacing with eachother?

I can only think of something similar is the FR and WHR railways unifying and merging, although it seemed already that the WHR was more of a subsidiary or ther FR to put it into crude terms.

I am happy to be corrected with anything said above, I am mostly interested in understanding what may happen.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Flying Phil

Established Member
There is a lot of work already being done to facilitate the operation of the combined GCR. An official "Memorandum of Understanding" between the GCR and GCR(N) is in place. A Project board has been established with rail industry and project professional members. On the ground the S & T teams are doing joint work as are the P'way teams. Many individuals are members of both operations, as are some Directors.
I suspect the DCRT and EMRT will continue as separate entities contributing to the South and North respectively at times and jointly where appropriate.
Whilst there has been disagreements, and even visible "spats" in the past, we have moved on, and there is a high degree of common ground to get the project completed and achieve the 18 mile heritage main line.
"Forward" the GCR!

fgwrich

Established Member
There is a lot of work already being done to facilitate the operation of the combined GCR. An official "Memorandum of Understanding" between the GCR and GCR(N) is in place. A Project board has been established with rail industry and project professional members. On the ground the S & T teams are doing joint work as are the P'way teams. Many individuals are members of both operations, as are some Directors.
I suspect the DCRT and EMRT will continue as separate entities contributing to the South and North respectively at times and jointly where appropriate.
Whilst there has been disagreements, and even visible "spats" in the past, we have moved on, and there is a high degree of common ground to get the project completed and achieve the 18 mile heritage main line.
"Forward" the GCR!

Heres a YouTube video which shows the signing of the memorandum between the two lines.

Not only that, but you can see the visible progress now happening at the Ruddington end with a new carriage shed under construction and regulary shown on the GCR Youtube.

m79900

At present, the GCR(N) is much less developed than the southern section, so could we see some double track put in, and East Leake renovated?

Mr. SW

East Leake, if at all, will probably only be restored as a facsimile and not used for passengers except in dire extremis, but it may become the southern point of a long loop ending at Bunny Lane.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Was there an issue somewhere on the GCRN where a house had been built too close to the line which presented problems with passenger trains?

MP33

Was East Leake where the property owners in their conveyancing where advised that the railway is closed and will never re-open ever again.

Little did they know.