• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Uniform policy and political badges

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mingulay

i am curious know if there is a policy of staff in uniform being precluded in wearing political badges.

I don’t mean union badges I mean campaign or party political in message.

I noticed a scotrail train crew wearing a campaign badge. I won’t say what party as that’s not important or to imply prejudice on my part.

Clearly some professions and jobs it is not appropriate to show political allegence. Not sure train staff would be in that category

Just given polarisation in our politics these days displaying In or Out. Or Yes or No badges could invite confrontation which staff clearly don’t need.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I suspect Scotrail will, if they have a policy, express neutrality.

Just given polarisation in our politics these days displaying In or Out. Or Yes or No badges could invite confrontation which staff clearly don’t need.

BTW Are you suggesting the good people of Scotland cannot see a political slogan/logo without descending into violence? I detest Tories but don't want to punch the ruddy faced ex colonel wearing their rosette when I see them at the polls.................

I suspect the people who act up on sight of such a badge are the same who would act up if you wore a ,say, Rangers badge they didn't like, or took offence to your name badge or your face. It isnt the badge that is the problem.

CC 72100

Established Member
Certainly in my part of the world the only badges allowed are union badges (naturally) and other 'work-related' badges (such as depot badges, traction badges or company issued badges to honour a certain event).

I'd say a definite no to political badges - you're at work to work and leave the (external) politics to your own time.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
BTW Are you suggesting the good people of Scotland cannot see a political slogan/logo without descending into violence?
That's an odd question; why would you ask that? @Mingulay only used Scotrail as an example because that's where he/she saw this, and "confrontation" could be a verbal disagreement.

Conflict avoidance techniques are important in any customer facing role.
I'd say a definite no to political badges - you're at work to work and leave the (external) politics to your own time.
Agreed.

Mingulay

I suspect Scotrail will, if they have a policy, express neutrality.

BTW Are you suggesting the good people of Scotland cannot see a political slogan/logo without descending into violence? I detest Tories but don't want to punch the ruddy faced ex colonel wearing their rosette when I see them at the polls.................

I suspect the people who act up on sight of such a badge are the same who would act up if you wore a ,say, Rangers badge they didn't like, or took offence to your name badge or your face. It isnt the badge that is the problem.

Not at all. Perfectly reasonable to wear any badge without inviting some angry response . But clearly in certain professions like police teachers in school it’s not appropriate

And I would say Scots and Brits are tolerant in the main. But our politics is more confrontational these days

DarloRich

Veteran Member
That's an odd question; why would you ask that? @Mingulay only used Scotrail as an example because that's where he/she saw this, and "confrontation" could be a verbal disagreement.

Conflict avoidance techniques are important in any customer facing role.

because the OP seems to be suggesting that the mere sight of such a badge would lead to disagreement or violence. That seems an odd statement to me.

As I said i suspect the employer will have a policy of neutrality.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Not at all. Perfectly reasonable to wear any badge without inviting some angry response . But clearly in certain professions like police teachers in school it’s not appropriate

And I would say Scots and Brits are tolerant in the main. But our politics is more confrontational these days

I take your point but it is a badge. If that drives your treatment or views of a person we are in bad place as a society!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
because the OP seems to be suggesting that the mere sight of such a badge would lead to disagreement or violence. That seems an odd statement to me.
If some people saw such a badge it would very possibly lead to a disagreement.

It was you who mentioned a possibility of violence, no-one else is suggesting it.

theironroad

Established Member
Generally a union badge and one other is allowed on our toc. The other is meant to be non partisan and for many people who wear them will be another rail badge.

Its hard to know without knowing the badge the op is talking about. I'd imagine that Scotrail had a policy/briefing about indyref1 and possibly indyref2 badges etc. Not sure about saltire badges.

Mingulay

I think in a work environment uniform or not. Political badges are best left at home

Employers in the main want to remain neutral on politics for sensible reasons

I am self employed in a profession and keep my politics to myself if only because why leave yourself open to a client or potential taking a negative view of view rightly or wrongly by demonstrating your colours.

Think it’s just good practice to keep politics out the workplace , there is always a plenty of opportunity to discuss politics or campaign in your own time without infringing freedom of expression

Highlandspring

Established Member
The ScotRail policy is that only official union badges and union ties are allowed.

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
It seems to me that:

Customer facing roles: when you're at work, you're representing your employer. The employer may have political views, but it's not for staff to contradict (or support) these by displaying anything expressing their own views. As noted above, most employers do not routinely express political views to their customers, so in effect this means 'no political badges' is an entirely reasonable position.

Non customer facing: in general, you're going to be working with other employees. They may have different political views from you. But you and they are both expected to concentrate on the work that you're paid to do. So you shouldn't be distracting them by stimulating political discussion/argument/conflict in the workplace. So in effect this means 'no political badges' is (once again) an entirely reasonable position.

I'm actually pleasantly surprised that railway companies in general seem to allow the wearing of union ties and badges: the companies and unions don't get on as well as they might, so it shows some commitment by the companies to allowing the staff to think for themselve.

Mingulay

The ScotRail policy is that only official union badges and union ties are allowed.

Seems sensible . He ran a coach and horses thru that policy then , so I assume its not rigorously enforced as potentially more trouble than its worth.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Bearing in mind how "political" some unions are, would wearing a union badge imply a political leaning?

Highlandspring

Established Member
I am in a union but I abhor the political party they support and the first thing I did when I joined was to fill out the form to withhold the political contribution part of my membership subs.

theironroad

Established Member
Seems sensible . He ran a coach and horses thru that policy then , so I assume its not rigorously enforced as potentially more trouble than its worth.

Really don't know why you won't say what badge it was. Its not as if we can identify either the badge wearer or yourself.

The discussion is a bit hampered not knowing if it was a nazi badge or sdl/edl or just a boring Tory,snp or labour badge.

broadgage

In my view, political and other potentially controversial badges should not be worn at work, nor when wearing uniform outside of work.
It might possibly provoke a confrontation, and is in my view unprofessional.

The only exception in my view is if working for a political party in which case the wearing of their badge whilst at work, or engaged upon their business is reasonable. But volunteering for a political party does not IMO mean that wearing of their badge whilst at work on the railway is acceptable.
The wearing of a political badge outside of work and not in uniform is a matter of personal preference.

Mingulay

Really don't know why you won't say what badge it was. Its not as if we can identify either the badge wearer or yourself.

The discussion is a bit hampered not knowing if it was a nazi badge or sdl/edl or just a boring Tory,snp or labour badge.

Did not want to identify the wearer and anticipated to be specific it would invite political comment and detract from the simple point on what the policy was. But yes mainstream Scottish politics

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Did not want to identify the wearer and anticipated to be specific it would invite political comment and detract from the simple point on what the policy was. But yes mainstream Scottish politics

If I were a railway manager (which thankfully I am not) and someone raised the specific point in this thread (can a member of staff wear a party political badge?) I would say 'no'. I wouldn't want to know if it was for the Moderate and Sensible Party, or for the Ravingly Extreme Party - because very few people are of the impression that the party they support is extreme (in my experience, most people think that their party is reasonable - it's just that the rest of the population have yet to have their eyes opened to this reasonableness). Rather than trying to draw a line between 'respectable' parties and 'extreme' parties, it's simpler to say 'no party badges'. And that's as well as the reasons about not suggesting that the employer is taking a political stand that I suggested above.

muz379

Established Member
Uniform policy at my TOC is supplied uniform only plus one union badge , and a union tie if desired .

Fairly often see people wearing more than one union badge , charity badges or armed forces veteran badges and management dont seem concerned .

But ive never seen someone wearing a party political badge and I personally wouldn't want to wear one whilst working with the public . Im there to do my job not engage in party political activism .

ComUtoR

Established Member
What about a Poppy ? They are often considered to be political.

142Pilot

What about a Poppy ? They are often considered to be political.
Was just thinking this.

I personally would ban all badges, union/LGBT/Cancer research/poppy et al.

Uniform should be just that. Either confirm to the standard that is set by the company or don't wear it at all and find a job that will let you dress how you want.

Last edited by a moderator:

DPWH

On Moderation
I think given the number of railwaymen that gave their lives during the World Wars, wearing a poppy isn't going to be considered inappropriate.

ComUtoR

Established Member
But it delivers a political message and glorifies war. It is also strictly against my uniform policy.

What about a White Poppy ?

Dieseldriver

I don't consider a poppy as political and it isn't intended to be. If people take them as a political statement then that's down to the individual.
As far as actual political badges go I don't think they should be allowed. I also don't see why anyone wants to let the world know which political party they support by wearing one. Seems a bit like football, just picking a team and displaying your choice to the world thinking people care.

ComUtoR

Established Member
I don't consider a poppy as political and it isn't intended to be. If people take them as a political statement then that's down to the individual.

What about the 'White' one ?

As far as actual political badges go I don't think they should be allowed.

Is this limited to political parties or political messages ?

Seems a bit like football, just picking a team and displaying your choice to the world thinking people care.

What about a rainbow badge ?

If you were wearing a poppy and that was breaking the uniform policy; should it therefore be taken off ?

142Pilot

I think people need to revisit history of they think the poppy isn't political.

It was brought in by Haig "the butcher" and his wife after seeing how the servicemen returning from a pointless war were treated by the goverment.

It was raising funds in lieu of the goverment carrying out it's military covenant. It still does so today.

It's very political but not for the reasons people think. The fact that it exists at all is a stain on the goverment of the time, and the following goverments who followed.

The bits they don't teach you in school are generally the important ones. Like how the pals battalions came to exist - the reality is not as romantic as you think....but that's for a different day.

It's much easier to just say no to all badges. It stops the sliding scale of silliness when seeing train crew badged up with alsorts of rubbish.

sw1ller

Established Member
A poppy is a symbol of rememberance and respect to the amazing efforts by good and honest men and women and the ultimate sacrifice they gave.

Edit. Can this post just be deleted altogether ranther than edited due to someone else editing theirs and mine now looking out of context.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.