• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unique Motor in Hamburg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eurotrainfan

Shown below is a video of a train that has a motor that I’ve never heard, the closest I’ve heard compared to this is the BR 423 and Duwag U4 wagen in Frankfurt. If you know who made this type of motor, what they are called and show any similar trains then please feel free to link it in replies.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Spoorslag '70

What you are hearing are the GTO inverters. In the UK, prominent examples of GTO inverters include the 365s, 465s, 323s, 1996 tube stock etc. The precises sound of course depends on the type and precise circumstances (i.e. what voltage, what current...).
The Hamburg BR474 S-Bahn units sound very similair:

Eurotrainfan

I do see where your coming from, but a very rough and unique sound comes from the first phase in acceleration in this that is unique.

Geeves

Established Member
Dont forget about the class 92 for nice sounding GTO action

NKNWWaSDpO0

Also while the 323s were GTO when constructed I believe they are now IGBT after upgrading.

Last edited:

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Dont forget about the class 92 for nice sounding GTO action

NKNWWaSDpO0

Also while the 323s were GTO when constructed I believe they are now IGBT after upgrading.

At 1 minute and 20 in the driver finally breathes a sigh of relief at finding 4th

Established Member
The later batches of ET423 use IGBT equipment, but still make a similar noise to the Hamburg U-Bahn stock in the original post.

talltim

Established Member
What you are hearing are the GTO inverters. In the UK, prominent examples of GTO inverters include the 365s, 465s, 323s, 1996 tube stock etc. The precises sound of course depends on the type and precise circumstances (i.e. what voltage, what current...).
The Hamburg BR474 S-Bahn units sound very similair:
That video confused me. They make all that noise without moving? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.