• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

University (Birmingham) Station Rebuild

snowball

Established Member
Isn't Perry Barr station also being rebuilt for the Games?

Does nobody ever go near that with a camera?
18 hours after I wrote this my copy of the November Modern Railways arrived, with a picture of Perry Barr on page 24.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Arthington

I was fortunate to visit site today as part of my MSc studies at the University of Birmingham. Was great to see the latest on the project and the associated challenges with delivering in time for next years Commonwealth Games.

University 1.jpg

University 2.jpg

University 3.jpg

University 4.jpg

University 5.jpg

University 6.jpg

city dweller

Well... :D
There was an overnight closure last night.

West Midlands Rail Executive have posted these

FB_gYJ1WQAQz3ge

FB_gYHqX0AYXnj5

FB_gYKvWYAQUU6u

FB_gYJEWYAk6CY6

Last edited:

ABB125

Established Member
Some pictures from yesterday:
IMG_4790 (Medium).JPGIMG_4797 (Medium).JPG

I noticed that the interface between the footbridge and the station buildings seems to be propped up by some temporary uprights:
IMG_4792 (Medium).JPG
Or perhaps they're there to support the wooden planks between the bridge and building?

Some concrete pouring appears to be taking place on the canal bridge. I'll see if I can find out what they're doing later.
20211027105752_IMG_4800.JPG

Last edited:

ABB125

Established Member
Not much visible work has happened over the last few months. Highlights include:
  • The station buildings were coated in scaffolding and blue plastic in early November. It's still there.
  • IMG_20211117_140226577_HDR.jpg
  • The "landing site" on the university side of the canal still looks much like this, a month later:
  • IMG_20211214_151941644_HDR.jpg
  • Towards the end of October, what looked like water exclusion sheeting and pumping equipment appeared on the university side of the canal, seemingly for no reason as no work was going on anywhere near the bank:
  • IMG_20211103_141501498_HDR.jpgIMG_20211103_141534123_HDR.jpg
  • The only change appears to be that the brickwork on the bank has been brushed up and polished. Unless it's new brickwork (but the bricks look quite old, and I'm not quite sure what the point of adding them would be!) This is what it looked like earlier today:
  • IMG_20220105_155607619_HDR.jpg
  • Speaking of which, the concrete deck of the canal bridge has finally been installed, after what seems like over half a year! I did spot one or two small gaps in the concrete beams though (circled)...
  • IMG_20220105_155648087~2.jpgIMG_20220105_155526908.jpg
Hopefully there'll be some more visible work in the near future (eg: windows).

diffident

Thanks for those updates!

I used to walk that way an awful lot prior to Covid, but haven't for the best part of a year now, so it's good to see how it's progressing.

That bridge, whether it's just the angles of your photo's, looks quite low. I get that barges on the canal are generally low down too, but there's not a lot of clearance there!

ABB125

Established Member
That bridge, whether it's just the angles of your photo's, looks quite low. I get that barges on the canal are generally low down too, but there's not a lot of clearance there!
It is indeed very low! However, due to the station design, there's not much choice for height, other than one storey higher - which would then be way too high on the university side of the canal.

DavidGrain

Established Member
The clearance that is most significant is the headroom on the tow path for people working.

XAM2175

Established Member
The only change appears to be that the brickwork on the bank has been brushed up and polished. Unless it's new brickwork (but the bricks look quite old, and I'm not quite sure what the point of adding them would be!)
It's quite possible that they've been repointed.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
It is indeed very low! However, due to the station design, there's not much choice for height, other than one storey higher - which would then be way too high on the university side of the canal.
I think it’ll be fine. If you look at some of the earlier pictures, eg image 9 of 15 in post #162, I expect there’ll be about 12 ft above the towpath.

ABB125

Established Member
It's quite possible that they've been repointed.
That's possible, but I'm still not sure what the point in doing so is, as only a short section (probably no more than 30m long) has been done.
I think it’ll be fine. If you look at some of the earlier pictures, eg image 9 of 15 in post #162, I expect there’ll be about 12 ft above the towpath.
There's definitely enough room to walk under, but I'd be surprised if it's as much as 12 ft. If I'm passing by and happen to have a tape measure to hand, I'll have a go at measuring it.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
That's possible, but I'm still not sure what the point in doing so is, as only a short section (probably no more than 30m long) has been done.

There's definitely enough room to walk under, but I'd be surprised if it's as much as 12 ft. If I'm passing by and happen to have a tape measure to hand, I'll have a go at measuring it.
Just jump and reach it? :D

(but be careful you don’t fall in, safety first..)

ABB125

Established Member
Did you manage to check the height of the canal bridge on this visit?
Not yet - I haven't had the chance to look. I'll do so this evening, as I'm ending my journey at University rather than Selly Oak.

Here are a few shots of the new canopy. I imagine it will be extended to fill the gap up to the existing one (and the current one may be replaced as well?).
IMG_20220126_182422868.jpgIMG_20220126_182718010.jpgIMG_20220126_182725863.jpgIMG_20220126_182709387.jpg

And now, to settle the very important question of how high the canal bridge is! I can reveal that clearance above the towpath is exactly....
about 80cm more than I can reach :D

So approaching 3m

Last edited:

WesternBiker

Not yet - I haven't had the chance to look. I'll do so this evening, as I'm ending my journey at University rather than Selly Oak.

Here are a few shots of the new canopy. I imagine it will be extended to fill the gap up to the existing one (and the current one may be replaced as well?).
View attachment 109343View attachment 109344View attachment 109345View attachment 109346

And now, to settle the very important question of how high the canal bridge is! I can reveal that clearance above the towpath is exactly....

So approaching 3m
I know it is only an aesthetic consideration, but like the fact that the beams supporting the roof are tapered: it seems more elegant than the original canopy.

I recall that the lack of tapering in the original canopy was a criticism voiced in Modern Railways when the station was first opened in 1978. That said, they've done a good job over the last 40 years.

ABB125

Established Member
I know it is only an aesthetic consideration, but like the fact that the beams supporting the roof are tapered: it seems more elegant than the original canopy.
It wouldn't take much to be more elegant!
The existing canopy (along with all the other stations on the line) looks like it's just a corrugated box-section which has been cut in half diagonally to create two L shapes (saving money :D)
I recall that the lack of tapering in the original canopy was a criticism voiced in Modern Railways when the station was first opened in 1978. That said, they've done a good job over the last 40 years.
Indeed they have.

diffident

That does surprise me, and obviously more of an optical illusion, because it does 'look' much lower than that!

Chris125

Established Member

So approaching 3m

I believe the maximum height for a canal boat on this stretch is around 2.5m above the waterline, so plenty of room.

david_g

Canal & River Trust give 7’6” headroom above water level as maximum craft dimension. That will be from weir level, of course the level of a pound can vary.

mr_moo

Hi everyone,

There's going to be a talk on the project this Thursday. 6PM till approx 7:30PM.

Reconstruction of Birmingham University Station​

Event organised by Railway Civil Engineers' Association

Opened in 1978, University Station in Birmingham was designed to serve 500,000 passengers per year but over 40 years later is serving almost 4 million people per year– with demand expected to rise further in coming years.

This essential upgrade project will see VolkerFitzpatrick supported by Mott Macdonald deliver the detailed design and construction of the new station, which will provide an attractive modern gateway into the University of Birmingham’s Edgbaston campus and the nearby Queen Elizabeth Hospital, support regeneration activities in the area, increase passenger capacity and provide improved access to the rail network.

The new railway station building will feature wider platforms, lifts, a ticket office, provision for a retail unit, canopy coverage along the platforms and a direct link with the University of Birmingham campus via a new pedestrian canal bridge. The existing station building will be retained as a passenger exit from the station.

This presentation covers the different disciplines involved within the project –from the early design stages (GRIP4) through to construction, including temporary works and constructability issues and how modern methods of design where incorporated to achieve an accelerated programme. This will also cover considerations when working in a rail environment and dealing with stakeholders.

Speakers
George Smith, VolkerFitzpatrick, section engineer
Sean Dirrane, VolkerFitzpatrick, sub agent
Edward Carstairs, Mott MacDonald, civil engineer

You can either go in person or join by MS Teams

Enjoy!

PS - Thanks to ABB125 for the great pics.

DavidGrain

Established Member
I know that this is going off topic but there is no thread for the rebuild of Perry Barr station which is being done in parallel with University so I thought I would add this item.

A report on the near completion of Perry Barr station in time for the Commonwealth Games

"A bronze-coloured frieze depicting athletes in action has been installed on the front of the redeveloped Perry Barr railway station.

The installation of new weathered effect cladding shows that the £30.9 million rebuilding project is nearing completion ready for opening later in the spring and in time to welcome visitors for this summer’s Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games."

ABB125

Established Member
Here are some pictures from a few weeks ago which I've only just got around to posting!

Progress has been made on the stairs/ramp from the bridge over the canal down to the university's land:
IMG_20220509_103531320_HDR.jpgIMG_20220509_103615726_HDR.jpgIMG_20220509_104103814_HDR.jpg

More platform canopy has been installed, now along most of the length of the platforms:
IMG_20220520_192456713_HDR.jpgIMG_20220520_192745652_HDR.jpgIMG_20220520_192622750_HDR.jpg

Here are some shots of the inside of the platform 2 building:
IMG_20220520_192549860.jpgIMG_20220520_192651918.jpg

Here's a close-up of the "stick-on brick" cladding:
IMG_20220520_192600160.jpg

Finally, here's a general view of the station buildings, showing large variation in the amount of work needed to be done:
IMG_20220520_192726289_HDR.jpg

centraltrains

Finally, here's a general view of the station buildings, showing large variation in the amount of work needed to be done:
What are your thoughts on it being complete in time for the games?

I've stopped commuting daily to University daily now, but my layman's feelings weren't feeling too positive towards the end.

The exile

Established Member
What are your thoughts on it being complete in time for the games?

I've stopped commuting daily to University daily now, but my layman's feelings weren't feeling too positive towards the end.
Well, if the trains aren’t running because of strikes it’s going to be rather academic!