• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unknown station and workmen

lazonbytunnel

Another picture puzzle and far from easy. Two images of workmen and staff outside an unknown station. Doorway in the corner might be a clue. Can it be narrowed down at all from any of the details on display? Any suggestions welcome!IMG_3475.jpeg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gloster

Established Member
Is it possible to get a clear view of the canopy brackets as these often contained the initials of the company that built the station?

lazonbytunnel

Is it possible to get a clear view of the canopy brackets as these often contained the initials of the company that built the station?
I think that’s as good as it’s going to get, the resolution on the originals isn’t that great.

The Leek suggestion does seem pretty convincing to me.

Rescars

Established Member
Can anyone suggest what the workmen in the photos were doing? Were they railway employees? If so, they are strangely un-uniformed. What was the role of those wearing the white aprons, I wonder?

DerekC

Established Member
Leek has a historical society. Might be worth the OP sending the pictures to them - they might be able to put names to some of the faces.

Karhedron

They look like a mix of porters and PW staff. White coats,was Leek known for heavy milk traffic?

I don't know of a rail-creamery at Leek specifically but Staffordshire is prime dairy country and the North Staffordshire railway certainly carried a lot of milk traffic.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
In the second photo the irregular darker stone blocks round the six sectioned window are the same pattern as those in the photo of Leek station linked by @Ash Bridge.

So I vote for a 100% match - Leek.
I’m convinced this is certainly Leek station,

stuving

The picture here has some major differences from the "known" view of Leek. Notably, there is none of the advertising, and the ground in front of the building is unmade. So is this during the 1880 rebuilding - probably just before it was completed? That would suggest building workers, by this stage plasterers and painters and perhaps joiners, rather than masons and heavy labourers. And "management " of course - plus some railway staff there at the same time.