• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unknown station - help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Railsigns

Established Member
I was wondering if the canopy valance ( daggerboard ) design could be distinctive enough to be a clue.
Many of the station buildings on the North Wales Coast Line (ex LNWR) have that style of canopy.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

randyrippley

Established Member
Possibly a typo in Martin Bairstow's book, as mentioned in post #16, as he does also mention Ingleton (LNWR) station on a previous page, presume it's the same station, i.e. the one that closed in 1916.
It's clearly not the "Little" NorthWestern station as that didn't have an overbridge near it.

FWIW the bridge masonry does look very similar to the existing bridge near the Marton Arms - which would be the next bridge going north from the LNWR station, presumably with the same architect and workmen

Gloster

Established Member
I am no expert on the lettering of railway signs, but a quick comparison with the few photos that I can find of LNWR designs suggests that it is an LNWR station. Perhaps you could try the London & North Western Railway Society. They did have mystery photos (ones where they didn’t know much about but wanted to know more), but it seems to have gone quiet.

Bevan Price

Established Member
This map shows more detail beyond the station at Ingleton LNWR, and it is a steep cutting, not a second bridge, that lies beyond the station -- and due to some lack of clarity in the original image, what we can see beyond the bridge is part of that cutting. There should be a signal (marked SP) beyond the bridge, just beyond the loco, but there is not enough detail to see it. Actual signal boxes are usually marked "SB" on these maps.

So, Ingleton LNWR seems a distinct possibility for the location.

WesternLancer

Established Member
This map shows more detail beyond the station at Ingleton LNWR, and it is a steep cutting, not a second bridge, that lies beyond the station -- and due to some lack of clarity in the original image, what we can see beyond the bridge is part of that cutting. There should be a signal (marked SP) beyond the bridge, just beyond the loco, but there is not enough detail to see it. Actual signal boxes are usually marked "SB" on these maps.

So, Ingleton LNWR seems a distinct possibility for the location.

Can we also see the signal post (SP) beyond the bridge - ahead of the loco - that is marked as S.P. on the helpful NLS map you linked Bevan? It may of course be some other sort of post and I may be 'seeing what I want to see' as it were, but your suggestion sounds plausible.

Any other pics known to be of Ingleton station buildings about to allow a comparison?

randyrippley

Established Member
Just to be clear, which station do you reckon might be the one depicted in the OP's photo?
Of the two it could only be the station on the north side of the viaduct - the LNWR station. The bridge shown matches position with the farm bridge shown on the old maps. Google Maps shows the farm track as still there, though the bridge itself appears to have gone

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Of the two it could only be the station on the north side of the viaduct - the LNWR station. The bridge shown matches position with the farm bridge shown on the old maps. Google Maps shows the farm track as still there, though the bridge itself appears to have gone
So Ingleton LNWR?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
So Ingleton LNWR?

Sometimes alternatively referred to as 'Ingleton Thornton' station, I believe.

Proving to be an challenging one this.

Can't find any photos of the station whatsoever in Robert Western's 1990 book ("The Ingleton Branch - A Lost Route to Scotland") (Oakwood Press).

Wonder whether it features in any (non-railway) local history books of the Ingleton area?

WesternLancer

Established Member
Proving to be an challenging one this.

Can't find any photos of the station whatsoever in Robert Western's 1990 book ("The Ingleton Branch - A Lost Route to Scotland") (Oakwood Press).

Wonder whether it features in any (non-railway) local history books of the Ingleton area?
There must surely be some known pics of that station to compare against - although that does not mean finding them on line is easy it would seem. Good effort on checking!

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
There must surely be some known pics of that station to compare against - although that does not mean finding them on line is easy it would seem. Good effort on checking!
You'd think! Just the one in the Martin Bairstow book that I mentioned in post #16 (possibly!) but taken from the other end of the platform, so not comparing like with like.

randyrippley

Established Member
There are four or five photos online claiming to be of "Ingleton station". Some are clearly of the Midland site, but others appear to be misidentified as they show a different station that doesn't fit the geography - and certainly doesn't fit the photo. I've not found anything online which fits the known facts of the LNWR station

==edit==
changed my view of this
the online photos seem to all show the Midland station, some of the main building on the down platform, others of the smaller building on the up platform - but none of the LNWR

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.