• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unknown Train Simulator called CabView Driver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatTrainGuy

Hi all, new here, so please correct if posted in the wrong Forum Section.

So I posted about this on reddit r/trainsim, and someone reffered me to post it here. But pretty much I've been scrolling through this website for a while now (https://www.apt-p.com/APTSimulators.htm) and I always past this game scrolling through called CabView Driver. I've never heard of this game before, I've played many Train Simulators over the years, but never heard of this one. So I wanted to try and find it, and possibly play it, but as usual, no luck, I barely find anything on it. Its a bit annoying as this game looks very interesting for its age. So that's why I came here, to see if any of you know about this game and where to aquire it. If anyone knows, please reply, I would like to know more about this and where to play it/find it. Thanks all and have a good one

- ThatTrainGuyScreenshot 2023-07-26 at 10.01.08 am.png

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jp4712

I saw a friend play at around the millennium on his home PC. It was terrible! The player was presented with a slide show of photos progressing along the (east coast?) line, with coloured blobs near signals to show their aspect. I very much doubt you’d get it to work on a modern PC and if you did you’d be underwhelmed as I was even at the time.

malc-c

I had a copy of this back in the 90's, but that used an AVI file for the journey from Kings Cross, but must admit after the first run it became a tad boring as there was no variation.

GatwickDepress

Established Member
Somebody is currently selling two routes on eBay for a tenner. Unless you're a collector of railway software, it doesn't seem terribly worth it though.

Flange Squeal

Established Member
I can only echo the above. It was very jerky as it was essentially video footage you were driving with, but to take into account you slowing down to stop somewhere where the original train didn't, it would become even more jerky to give the sense of slowing down. I'm talking, one framerate per second kind of jerky! Even better was if the train it was filmed from was using a fast line with no platform faces, but for "variety" you used a scenario of a stopping train. You'd come to an exceptionally jerky stop as the original footage was filmed at say 100mph, and let your passengers off onto the slow line where they'd presumably then all have to clamber up onto the platform :lol:

It was a nice idea to try and give a real world appearance to the user, rather than a computer generated world as per things like Mechanik and later BVE and Microsoft Train Simulator, but the method of execution at the time made it an idea that probably shouldn't have existed.

malc-c

Given the time it was released it was quite revolutionary. I mean playing F15 Strike Eagle II at the time with a decent graphics card the frame rate was jerky and that was with this sort of graphics

mqdefault.jpg

As mentioned Drivers Cab view tied the simulator with AVI's of a cab ride, so funny things happen when you drove the train "incorrectly". The concept was good, but in reality it didn't really work.

Egg Centric

Weren't there japanese simulators around the same time for playstation (jap market only) that basically worked the same way?

Good times. I loved BVE and I don't think even now anything wobbles the same way in the station. The first time I ever had feedback of mine taken into account on some software was when I pointed out to some route author that giving all the signals a number of 109 (admittedly it was S109 iirc rather than SN109) wasn't ideal.

Then my balls dropped and at 14 I had some train simulator add ons published (as part of a CD called roundhouse or something) and received what was an ENORMOUS amount of money to a teenager at the time. I got it all paid into the account of a guy in the netherlands and he sent me certain things you should definitely not be having as a 14 year old or indeed anyone at all in the UK, heh. Oh to be that reckless and carefree again...

Fragezeichnen

There is a Swiss Simulator called LocSim which uses the same strategy, but "done properly". It is strictly for driver training and one-off fixed installations(museums etc.) and not for private use. Presumably they use specially filmed videos at either high frame rate or low speed, but in spite of that you can see it looks slightly jerky in their own demo video.

Status
Not open for further replies.