• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unlikely working of the year through Dinsdale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingspanner

Either I am completely mad or I have just seen two Caledonian Sleeper coaches hauled by a loco pass the end of my garden. The thing is, I live at Dinsdale on the Darlington-Saltburn branch.
They are a long way from home and taking a roundabout route to get there!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Now, what were they doing??!!

Wonder if someone here would be kind enough to proffer an explanation.

DanNCL

Established Member
Based on the origin on Real Time Trains, it's most likely come from Wolsingham on the Weardale Railway. Caledonian Sleeper Mark 2s do sometimes visit the depot there, though I'm not sure why. I can only assume that reason it ran via Dinsdale was to remove the need for the loco to run round at Darlington for the journey north.

Darandio

Established Member
Plenty of dragged 385's gone via Dinsdale in recent months as well.

most likely come from Wolsingham on the Weardale Railway.
I thought there was a heritage line there somewhere!
Could the inwards arrival been stock returning to the railway and the outwards taken more stock back to polmadie for works to be done?

I see on a list from years ago that the Weardale Railway has plenty o MK-II stock

Last edited:

geml90

Not a great photo - but seen at Darlington in June 2018. I think it was coming back from the Weardale Railway then.

Attachments

• IMG_sleeper.jpg
    IMG_sleeper.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 72
Status
Not open for further replies.