• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Uno Bus

Edvid

Established Member
As bus developments in Luton go, the introduction of the X10 to Hatfield (half-hourly, University of Hertfordshire term-time only) is certainly an attention grabber.

Combined with the 610 (half-hourly in term-time), that's a combined regular frequency of 4bph on weekdays, run commercially per service registrations PF0001449/107 and PF0001449/24. Don't think anywhere else outside of the Luton-Dunstable-Houghton Regis conurbation is served that frequently, coaches to London aside.

They've even joined the HipHop scheme (already valid on Arriva, Centrebus and Grant Palmer services) for good measure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

citybus2500

As bus developments in Luton go, the introduction of the X10 to Hatfield (half-hourly, University of Hertfordshire term-time only) is certainly an attention grabber.

Combined with the 610 (half-hourly in term-time), that's a combined regular frequency of 4bph on weekdays, run commercially per service registrations PF0001449/107 and PF0001449/24. Don't think anywhere else outside of the Luton-Dunstable-Houghton Regis conurbation is served that frequently, coaches to London aside.

They've even joined the HipHop scheme (already valid on Arriva, Centrebus and Grant Palmer services) for good measure.

And wait until you see the new buses they are getting for it!

Route required as the influx of students to the University of Hatfield are choosing cheap Luton rather than expensive St Albans to live.

Edvid

Established Member
You mean the 12.8m tri-axle eVoSetis due in March 2024? That's what it says on the Bus Routes in London wiki but I can't find anything official.

In more general terms, a degree of fleet electrification may be afoot with Uno receiving £6.4 million of ZEBRA funds - most of it a reallocation from the Stevenage scheme (by Herts County Council) that Arriva did for, I believe.

[N.B. Should've pegged in original post that Harpenden still beats Hatfield with 5bph (3 x 321, 2 x 610)]

citybus2500

yes, that's those although I was led to believe they would be in before then. I haven't seen it anywhere and tend to avoid the London groups given how much rubbish appears on them about new bus orders.

Uno will indeed be receiving re-allocated Stevenage funding. The total number of buses is circulating but again, nothing has been announced yet which will presumably only happen when all the returned funding is re-allocated (there are quite a few bits). Or when there is some reason that the Govt wants/needs to put out some good news.

Edvid

Established Member
Rode the X10 the other day. I quite enjoyed the novelty of using a service that does Hatfield-Luton in under 30 minutes (not end-to-end).

The same couldn't be said for the passenger who pushed the button for the New Mill End stop, only for the driver to drive straight past it! The B653 isn't the kind of road you'd want to walk along either, at least on that stretch. Or when it's dark.

Saint66

yes, that's those although I was led to believe they would be in before then. I haven't seen it anywhere and tend to avoid the London groups given how much rubbish appears on them about new bus orders.

Uno will indeed be receiving re-allocated Stevenage funding. The total number of buses is circulating but again, nothing has been announced yet which will presumably only happen when all the returned funding is re-allocated (there are quite a few bits). Or when there is some reason that the Govt wants/needs to put out some good news.
Heard recently that Uno aim to have an initial 25-27 electric buses within the next few years.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I tried the X10 to Luton today, and was impressed by the speed. Sadly the 25 minute odd trip from Hatfield started off badly, as the first bus to Luton was 45 minutes late. I saw three buses pass having come from Luton before the first turned around. All three buses, with one a double decker, were busy.

The issue was near Wheathampstead, with major roadworks. However when I was eventually on the bus, we sailed through so probably just bad light phasing for the morning rush hour. It was myself and three others, and nobody boarded the whole trip. One old man did stop us, but he apologised and said he wanted the 610.

The screen on the bus was just paging through filler ads and no actual next stop announcements were made. The bus also struggles on the narrower parts of the road to Luton, after Batford and the Harpenden junction. We hit the kerb a fair few times but it was necessary to take off door mirrors from passing vehicles.

Upon arrival, and it's nice to see it stops near Luton Airport Parkway too, there was a large queue to go back.

Early days but it seems like a useful and very fast bus (traffic permitting), which is clearly popular with students. Outside of term times it would likely be near empty.

The routing on bustimes.org is totally wrong. The waypoints suggest driving through Hatfield Garden Village, but it doesn't. It goes alongside and under the A1(M) at first.

Edvid

Established Member
Perhaps the BusTimes routing is taken from that shown on Uno's X10 page, which is also wrong (the correct routing is available on Intalink). As is the timetable PDF on Intalink, which unlike the service page and the Uno-issued PDF still has the Galleria listed as a stop (it isn't*). Bit of a mess in that respect.

If the B653 is already a tight squeeze in places, just wait until the Evosetis arrive...

[* On that note New Mill End might have been listed during the pre-termtime weeks as well, but that's not the case now]

Last edited:

D7666

I see X10 buses most days in Luton either loading at the interchange or walking passing by them in Gypsy Lane.

They are crowded. I know these are student term buses for students, but presumably there must have been some big step change in student classes / locations / timetables / courses / movements to have gone from where there used to be nothing to the numbers now.

Saint66

I see X10 buses most days in Luton either loading at the interchange or walking passing by them in Gypsy Lane.

They are crowded. I know these are student term buses for students, but presumably there must have been some big step change in student classes / locations / timetables / courses / movements to have gone from where there used to be nothing to the numbers now.
It comes down to a lot more students now living in Luton due to the cheaper living costs.

The X10’s popularity and requirement for double deckers is having a negative impact on some of the services on the 601, especially in the morning, that were previously double deckers but are now single deckers and are as a result packed themselves.

Edvid

Established Member
The sooner those Evosetis arrive, the better. They're needed yesterday.

The Luton-bound double decker I boarded at The Forum the other day (at 1545, I think) had to leave some students waiting at the De Havilland stop. Those hailing the X10 anywhere between there and Luton Interchange at peak times? No chance.

It says something about the level of patronage that staff are required to marshal queues - don't remember seeing the like for standard open-door services before, though I'm not a regular peak-time bus passenger if that matters any.

Simply out of curiosity, can the UH-student discounted singles/returns be used to/from Luton? Or just the usual (£2 singles, Intalink Explorer etc)? If the latter, TOTO could reduce the (long!) boarding times at the primary stops by a fair margin if it were introduced.

Vexed

It says something about the level of patronage that staff are required to marshal queues - don't remember seeing the like for standard open-door services before, though I'm not a regular peak-time bus passenger if that matters any
There was marshaling in the evenings at de Havilland when I went through there every day for a week last winter so it's not a new thing for Uno!

A spare ticket machine seems to have been active at the Luton end only in the morning today and sporadically over the last month. The location traces show it staying at Luton so I assume this is purchasing before boarding. Maybe this can be expanded.

Edit: seems like it is active most evenings at The Forum

D7666

It comes down to a lot more students now living in Luton due to the cheaper living costs.

The X10’s popularity and requirement for double deckers is having a negative impact on some of the services on the 601, especially in the morning, that were previously double deckers but are now single deckers and are as a result packed themselves.
Which is still a big step change to have gone from a nothing service to the loadings there are now.

Accomodation prices have not SUDDENLY stepped up from 2022/23 academic year to 2023/24 year; they have gone up yes but not a step; a fully loaded double decker is what, 80 passengers? Every half hour in say a 2h peak is 5 trips = 400 pax; I can't believe such a step has suddenly all at once driven 400 students to live in Luton - there must be other factors at work here too - especially as Luton student accomodation prices are already high because of ULU here. Quite apart from that, it must have been planned in advance, because students often find their own accomodation, to run a bus service like this needs planning; that can't wait until the students have moved in and then can't get from Luton, whatever has caused this must have been known, in advance, before the start of the 23/24 academic year, but was not there as an issue in the 22/23 year.

Saint66

Which is still a big step change to have gone from a nothing service to the loadings there are now.

Accomodation prices have not SUDDENLY stepped up from 2022/23 academic year to 2023/24 year; they have gone up yes but not a step; a fully loaded double decker is what, 80 passengers? Every half hour in say a 2h peak is 5 trips = 400 pax; I can't believe such a step has suddenly all at once driven 400 students to live in Luton - there must be other factors at work here too - especially as Luton student accomodation prices are already high because of ULU here. Quite apart from that, it must have been planned in advance, because students often find their own accomodation, to run a bus service like this needs planning; that can't wait until the students have moved in and then can't get from Luton, whatever has caused this must have been known, in advance, before the start of the 23/24 academic year, but was not there as an issue in the 22/23 year.
It is almost completely down to the numbers of students now living in Luton due to cheaper costs.

It isn’t a new problem - Uno buses from Hatfield to Luton have been extremely busy for going on 18 months - in line with the return of students to campus post Covid. During the 22/23 academic year, Uno ended up hiring in some coaches to run the 610 route in the peaks as the existing buses on the route couldn’t cope with the loadings. Buses were often full and standing leaving students, staff and the general public behind. As a result of these issues, the idea for the X10 was born.

Edvid

Established Member
Attached a snippet from Key Buses' December 2023 fleet update. The Evoseti order is confirmed as being for 5 buses (PVR of 4 plus a spare?), alongside the receipt of a minibus for the HertsLynx DRT operation.

Attachments

• Web capture_20-11-2023_124327_www.keybuses.com.jpeg
    Web capture_20-11-2023_124327_www.keybuses.com.jpeg
    34.5 KB · Views: 86

xydancer

Uno are quitting Northampton from March 10, 2024. It's existing University of Northampton routes will be taken over by Stagecoach. What happens to its rural service to Guilsborough, Welford and Market Harborough is still uncertain.

Report in the Northampton Chronicle & Echo here: https://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/...-northampton-launches-new-partnership-4425007

Stagecoach takes over Uno bus services as University of Northampton launches new partnership​

Three routes serving Weston Favell, Kingsthorpe and Sixfields ‘under new management’ from March

Bus operator Uno’s distinctive pink and purple double-deckers will disappear from three key routes in Northampton during 2024.
University of Northampton confirmed its partnership with the company will end in March — but the services are set to continue after being taken over by the town’s main bus company Stagecoach under a new deal.

Up to 48 jobs at Uno are likely to be impacted by the move, although the Hertfordshire-based company did not respond when asked if its staff will be made redundant or could be retained in other parts of the firm. Stagecoach says it has a number of vacancies and would welcome applications from Uno drivers via its website HERE

UoN bosses revealed the decision has been made to meet the “changing public transport landscape and a growing desire to better integrate transport services at the University of Northampton with the local town and beyond.”

A spokesperson added: “By becoming part of the local bus network, the University of Northampton will be in a position to offer its staff, students and wider community improved links with Northampton and its neighbouring towns.

“Staff and students will now have access to a much wider network of services across the town and beyond. All students located at Scholars Green Halls of Residence will continue to receive subsidised travel to and from the University Campus.”

Stagecoach plans to continue routes centred on the University which are currently delivered by Uno. These are the No.18 between Waterside Campus and Sixfields, No.19 and 19A between Waterside and the Scholars Green halls of residence at Kingsthorpe and the No.21 between Rectory Farm and the town centre via Weston Favell.

Uno, which has run its buses in Northampton since 2012, has pledged to continue providing a reliable service until the change on March 10.
UoN’s director of estates & campus services, Tracey Russell, said: “We are thankful for the service provided by Uno buses for the past ten years and look forward to continuing delivering a gold star service with Stagecoach.

“We are proud of the transport links we have already built between University sites, accommodation buildings and the main travel hubs of Northampton, and we look forward to continuing to nurture these in the coming years.

“Alongside both Uno and Stagecoach, we are working hard to ensure a smooth transition between providers to minimise impact on our service users, as well as maintain value for money and quality of service.”

Mark Whitelocks, Managing Director, Stagecoach Midlands said “We are delighted to be extending our network to include these additional services. We already welcome many University of Northampton students and staff on board and we’re proud to now be serving the very heart of the University.”

Uno was set up as a joint venture following the success of a similar scheme in Hertfordshire offering free and discounted travel to students on services also used by the general public.

It also runs a rural service between Northampton, Guilsborough, Welford and Market Harborough — including a school service to Guilsborough Academy — under tender from West Northamptonshire council. Uno did not respond to a request for information about the future status of the route.

KX03HZY

www.hertsad.co.uk/news/23986323.st-albans-welwyn-hatfield-uno-introduces-electric-buses/?ref=rss

As rumoured for some time now, Uno will be introducing 27 electric buses on their Hertfordshire routes between 2024 and 2026. This is a reallocation of the previously awarded ZEBRA1 funding to Hertfordshire, originally planned for 27 electric buses at Arriva Stevenage.

Details of the Uno deployment sketchy thus far in terms of while types used, routes, manufacturers etc.

A new fleet of electric buses is set to replace the current diesel-powered vehicles serving St Albans and Welwyn Hatfield.

This morning (December 13), Uno and Hertfordshire County Council announced that 27 new buses will be in operation by 2026, with the first scheduled for 2024.
The zero-emission vehicles will serve routes in the Hatfield, St Albans and Welwyn Garden City areas.
In addition to the environmental positives, the new electric buses will "provide enhanced comfort, quieter operation and a smoother journey".
Improved reliability and a "more cost effective nature" will also benefit Uno and Hertfordshire County Council.

Phil Bibby, executive member for highways and transport at Hertfordshire County Council said: “The ZEBRA (Zero Emission Bus Regional Areas) funding will provide a wonderful opportunity to start replacing our old bus models with new electric ones, helping to make our county a cleaner and greener one that we all want to enjoy.

“I’m delighted that Uno have been able to partner with us to make this happen.

"The new fleet will help deliver improved air quality and lower emissions, as well as an enhanced customer experience for existing and future users.”

The scheme has been funded by the UK Government's Department for Transport, to help local transport authorities introduce zero emission buses.

Decarbonisation minister Jesse Norman added: “Zero-emission buses are a key part of the UK's effort to decarbonise its transport sector. That is why the Government has provided Hertfordshire County Council with £5.6 million to decarbonise its bus fleet.

“These 27 electric buses will be rolled out on local bus routes over the next few years, as the Government continues its work to create more sustainable transport and improve the journeys that matter most to people.”

The managing director of Uno has described the plans as "exciting" and spoke of the impact that they will have on residents.

Jim Thorpe commented: “We are delighted to be working together with Hertfordshire County Council to introduce this impressive fleet of 27 zero-emission buses.

"It’s such an exciting time for the team here with plans already underway to install the very latest charging infrastructure at our Hatfield Depot.
“Every day we connect people with work, education, appointments, shopping, as well as with friends and family; and by offering a greener and cleaner option we’re confident more and more people will join us on board.”

Lastly, the leader of Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council spoke of the council's environmental targets.

Paul Zukowskyj said: "I welcome this fantastic investment in decarbonising transport from the DfT, Hertfordshire County Council and the bus operator Uno.

"Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council has an ambition for the whole of Welwyn Hatfield to be net zero by 2050 and this is a huge step towards that target."

Edvid

Established Member
Just the other day I came across a seemingly-unfinished draft Uno Bus decarbonisation study by the Uni (dated 6 December 2022 - Word doc available on linked page) and noted some interesting so-called rough notes in section 7:

Uno currently have five double decker electric buses and we’re at the very limit of grid capacity.
Unlikely that we’ll have grid capacity increase within the next three years…we need to quadruple our EV fleet in that period, at the very least.
Both grid and micro localised grids will be required.

It's been a year since then, but that may explain waiting until 2026 for the 27-bus rollout to conclude; I presume they're referring to Hatfield's DNO grid. The inter-campus shuttle would be perfect for conversion, and I think the 601/653 routes are likely options too as they serve all three noted Herts municipalities.

In the meantime, the loss of Northampton work in three months means a bunch of Enviro200s going spare, so they'll surely be reallocated to other routes or sold on.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Uno Bus (Herts) will be cutting many services from Jan 7, and I wonder what has caused this as the buses are usually pretty well loaded (at least in term time).

My first thought is that it is due to the shortage of drivers, and reducing the number of services (as well as cutting some runs short at either end to perhaps improve turnaround times) will allow them to run a more reliable service.

For the last few months, the service on routes such as the 610, 601 and 614/644 (possibly others) has been so unreliable that I've personally seen two buses with the police in attendance and their social media regularly posts messages about them taking abuse of staff very seriously. The same account does post cancelled services occasionally, but often does so retrospectively which is pretty pointless. I don't need it on record that the nn:nn bus won't run when that was an hour or two ago. Why they can't tell in advance I do not know, as other drivers say it's usually a shortage of staff - so is it a case of them not booking on?

I also wondered if the £2 flat fare is playing a part, as I am not sure how the funding works - but perhaps it has impacted on revenue, especially for those services it runs that cover a long distance and where before they'd have charged a lot more?

It seems particularly ironic when Uno will be getting 26 new all-electric buses to update its fleet by 2026, and the company is already now equipped with a pretty decent fleet.. but you need to actually run them to get people to want to use them.

duncombec

Uno Bus (Herts) will be cutting many services from Jan 7, and I wonder what has caused this as the buses are usually pretty well loaded (at least in term time).

Can you describe in more detail what has been cut? The Uno service update and Intalink just seem to suggest timing changes on Mondays to Fridays, and from a superficial look at some timetables, I can't see any significant frequency drops.

Perhaps I'm just not looking in the right place?

jon0844

Veteran Member
These are just the PDFs on their site, but it seems that they're skipping some stops on services that mean end terminals get a reduced service (like WGC on the 601 with some buses starting towards St Albans from the bus garage). One in particular impacts my son leaving school, who now has a 55 minute wait for a bus (but then it appears there may be more buses at irregular times afterwards with shorter gaps).

It seems like a timetable with timings changed and some buses cut/curtailed to run things with fewer drivers, which makes sense so I am not against it in principle - although I do wonder why they struggle to keep drivers. They had plenty of buses out teaching new recruits last year, and were supposedly all good - but it hasn't turned out that way.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
These are just the PDFs on their site, but it seems that they're skipping some stops on services that mean end terminals get a reduced service (like WGC on the 601 with some buses starting towards St Albans from the bus garage). One in particular impacts my son leaving school, who now has a 55 minute wait for a bus (but then it appears there may be more buses at irregular times afterwards with shorter gaps).

It seems like a timetable with timings changed and some buses cut/curtailed to run things with fewer drivers, which makes sense so I am not against it in principle - although I do wonder why they struggle to keep drivers. They had plenty of buses out teaching new recruits last year, and were supposedly all good - but it hasn't turned out that way.
It would be helpful if you could post the relevant links and, better still, if you could quote the relevant information in your posts.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I am not aware of a tool to compare timetables as you have on rail, so I really don't have time to show every single change. I am sure there are others who can do that.

I've simply looked at some of the services I use, and noticed these adjustments (including some later starts and earlier finishes). Some timing changes are relatively slight, but mess up connections. But in the last few months, the buses are often 10-15 minute late running anyway so I've actually been lucky - but ultimately, people want stability. If these changes offer that, I am sure I can get used to it.

markymark2000

On Moderation
Old 601 timetable: https://www.unobus.info/media/2573/601-3-sept-2023.pdf
New 601 timetable: https://www.unobus.info/media/2598/601-mf.pdf#

There are cuts here but you have to look for them. Currently, 08:53 starts a half hourly service from Welwyn to St Albans and that runs pretty consistently until 16:32. On the new timetable, there is a gap at 10:14-11:09, 13:15-14:27. The timetable is an absolute mess as well with almost every departure leaving at a different minute past the hour, I wonder if they are using the same AI software that First are as surely no one who cares about passengers is going to create such timetables? On some other routes there seems to be currently a steady half hourly frequency but on the new timetables, there becomes random gaps sometimes stretching to 40 minutes which suggests perhaps 1 bud duty has been cut and other trips spaced out slightly to make it work.

(like WGC on the 601 with some buses starting towards St Albans from the bus garage)
Those trips start at the garage on the current timetable.

jon0844

Veteran Member
There was an additional service (601) before, but worse than that they seem to be running one before earlier - creating a bigger gap still.

Update: 9th Jan

Well, the 601 is still suffering fleet issues and buses still being cancelled! The website no longer shows the service changes and still has the old timetable showing online even though it was replaced on Sunday 7th - although if you go to download it, the PDF it sends is the new one (but it isn't in a friendly format at all, even worse than the earlier one that was presumably an internal one as it showed what the blinds should show etc).

So from WGC you used to have buses at:

1500, 1527, 1600, 1632, 1725, 1800 and 1900

Now you have:

1453, 1542, 1654, 1713, 1825 and 1900.

That's a crazy gap between 1542 and 1654. Given any one of those buses may not run, what was once a 2bph service is now a mess. My son may as well walk home from school now as the bus will get him home later - and it's a 40 minute walk!

People are moaning online that another Uno bus service now goes on a slightly different route and nobody knew until it didn't stop somewhere people expected..

Last edited:

Edvid

Established Member
Well, the 601 is still suffering fleet issues and buses still being cancelled!
I wonder if that's why bus #285 (C14 UNO, B9TL Gemini 2) was just transferred from Northampton to Hatfield. It's on the shuttle according to BusTimes and LVF.

I also note that #358 (BV21 ONO, B8RLE Evora) has been out of action since 30 August last year.

JD2168

I wonder if that's why bus #285 (C14 UNO, B9TL Gemini 2) was just transferred from Northampton to Hatfield. It's on the shuttle according to BusTimes and LVF.

I also note that #358 (BV21 ONO, B8RLE Evora) has been out of action since 30 August last year.

C14 UNO is not a Gemini 2, it is a Gemini 1 with a Mark2 front end which it had put on it after the fatal accident it was involved in at Hooten Roberts whilst on X78 when it was First 37260 on a YN07 plate. It is not allowed to run with the original plate as part of the agreement when First sold it. The name of the driver in the fatal accident is carried on Rotherham Heritage livery B9TL Gemini 37231 (1431) which is based at Doncaster.

Kaeyby

#358 BV21ONO was involved in a pedestrian collision at Shenley, Porters Park Drive. The vehicle has been off road for that duration of time for investigation.

A man has died almost a month after being hit by a bus.
The man, in his 50s, was struck at the junction between Porters Park Drive and Grace Avenue in Shenley, Hertfordshire, on 30 August at about 07:20 BST.
He was taken to hospital, assisted by the air ambulance, but died on Tuesday morning.
Police said a 57-year-old arrested last month on suspicion of causing serious injury by dangerous driving and released on bail was the bus driver.

Mikey C

Established Member
I couldn't find an answer elsewhere, but having passed through Queensbury yesterday, was wondering why Uno use such a relative backwater as the terminus for the 614/644?

Is it simply that it's the quietest place on the Jubilee Line they could use to serve people living in Brent and Harrow?

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I couldn't find an answer elsewhere, but having passed through Queensbury yesterday, was wondering why Uno use such a relative backwater as the terminus for the 614/644?

Is it simply that it's the quietest place on the Jubilee Line they could use to serve people living in Brent and Harrow?
There's even a Uno Pizzeria and Grill in Queensbury - the New York one, that is. ;) Trip Advisor wouldn't lead anyone to seek it out.

Sorry, I've no idea of the answer to your question.