• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unpaid Fare - Court Proceedings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikey Bishop

Hi All,

Today i received a Single Justice Procedure notice from the courts on behalf of LNER. I had a payment plan for a fine i received for boarding a train without a ticket (due to loosing my wallet). I defaulted on one of these payments hence receiving the SJP notice.

I plan to plead guilty as I cannot see a feasible way I can prove i'm not guilty of this offence. My question is will i receive a criminal record for this? I can't work out what the actual offence is (i've seen people mention that travelling without a ticket is a bye law and so won't appear on my criminal record).

Also will the court take into account that i made the first payment before I defaulted the second?

Thanks for your time and if you need any further information please ask.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Puffing Devil

Established Member
It's a pedantic point, you haven't been paying a fine, you've been paying an administrative settlement. Only a court can impose a fine and only a court can force collection.

Firstly, I would attempt a final negotiation with LNER. Scrape together all the cash that you can from family and friends and offer to settle in full.

If that fails, then you have little option other than to plead guilty. That will get you a discount on the fine, though not the costs, compensation and victim surcharge.

Regarding the criminal record, yes it is unlikely that it will be disclosed. It is a grey area with no firm, published, rules.

You should also be able to reclaim your part payment from LNER, as that was to keep the matter from court.

island

Veteran Member
How long ago did you commit the ticket violation, and what date is on the SJP notice?

UKADS

If you plead guilty either way on the justice notice, you will receive a criminal record.
I've been through it myself.

UKADS

That isn’t necessarily correct.

Oh, how so? I received one, on the actual form it says if you plead guilty you automatically receive one, I even rang the court up to ask and they confirmed for me. Any other info would be appreciated, then I could challenge mine..

Established Member
Oh, how so? I received one, on the actual form it says if you plead guilty you automatically receive one, I even rang the court up to ask and they confirmed for me. Any other info would be appreciated, then I could challenge mine..
It depends on the charge.

UKADS

If it was a bylaw prosecution you won't have a criminal record. If it was a Regulation of Railways act prosecution you will.

Interesting, thanks I'll take a look. All I know is they said I had one,so maybe I don't lol.. need to look.

Cheers

UKADS

If it was a bylaw prosecution you won't have a criminal record. If it was a Regulation of Railways act prosecution you will.

I found my old letter and it says: Charge sheet...

On 12 October 17 did board the train at a station where ticket purchasing facilities were available, without s valid ticket or other authority to travel.

Contrary to bylaw 18 of the Railway Bylaws 2005, made under Section 219 of the Transport Act 2000 by the Strategic Rail Authority and confirmed under Schedule 20 of the Transport Act 2000, as amended by Section 46 of the Railway Act 2005.

So that was my old charge sheet, I'm confused now as to weather this was a bylaw or railways Act..

UKADS

It was a bylaw charge so no criminal record.

I've told my employer that I have a record, I've told new job applications that I have one too. Wow.. they really need to make it clearer on information. Thankyou very much 221129 very much appreciated buddy

island

Veteran Member
Regardless of the charge, assuming you were punished by way of a fine, any record you may have had is now spent and need not be declared for most purposes.

Enthusiast

Regardless of the charge, assuming you were punished by way of a fine, any record you may have had is now spent and need not be declared for most purposes.
Offences which are dealt with by way of a fine are spent 12 months from the date of conviction (unless the defendant is aged under eighteen, when they become spent after six months).

island

Veteran Member
Offences which are dealt with by way of a fine are spent 12 months from the date of conviction (unless the defendant is aged under eighteen, when they become spent after six months).
And as the OP committed the offence on 12 October 2017 and must have been prosecuted for it by 12 April 2018, it would have been spent by 12 April 2019.

Puffing Devil

Established Member
And as the OP committed the offence on 12 October 2017 and must have been prosecuted for it by 12 April 2018, it would have been spent by 12 April 2019.

The information must be laid within 6 months, the final resolution can be some time later.

Status
Not open for further replies.