• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unsuccessful again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladder23

Established Member
hi all,

No doubt a common title in this thread, but this is regarding a track maintenance opportunity not a driver job which I commonly see,

So I have countless times now applied for various track maintenance operative roles within tfl, all being unsuccessful, my CV is strong and I always ensure I get my experience across without going overboard,

I have worked for network rail for a few years now working up from a pway operative, then technician and now working for S&T. I enjoy maintenance/ pway work but want to get into TfL as it’s of great interest to me, and I really do miss being hands on. Not to mention the money is better then network rail (one of the reasons I had to part)..

I am at a point now where I can’t see how I can better my application, I have slowly improved it with each unsuccessful application but I’m really at a blank now!

Any help is much appreciated

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LRV3004

I would see if you could speak to someone in the recruitment or HR department at TfL, and explain your situation (if you haven't done so already) to see if you can get some answers there.
And again, if you haven't done so already, go onto Google and get some tips on how to get your CV looking good, and interview techniques etc.
Hopefully this will be a good start!

Stigy

Established Member
hi all,

No doubt a common title in this thread, but this is regarding a track maintenance opportunity not a driver job which I commonly see,

So I have countless times now applied for various track maintenance operative roles within tfl, all being unsuccessful, my CV is strong and I always ensure I get my experience across without going overboard,

I have worked for network rail for a few years now working up from a pway operative, then technician and now working for S&T. I enjoy maintenance/ pway work but want to get into TfL as it’s of great interest to me, and I really do miss being hands on. Not to mention the money is better then network rail (one of the reasons I had to part)..

I am at a point now where I can’t see how I can better my application, I have slowly improved it with each unsuccessful application but I’m really at a blank now!

Any help is much appreciated
Sorry to hear. Sometimes it’s literally the volume of applications they receive that makes it so difficult, you say you’ve applied countless time; it sounds as though you’ve applied 20/30 times? Is that accurate? I would definitely consider speak to TfL’s recruitment department and asking them for advice.

Jellytots898

Tfl don't do feedback for externals as a general rule but maybe given how much you have applied you can definitely try your luck. I'm sorry it's proving difficult it's hard to say don't give up but have you considered maybe doing csa and then you are able to apply internally? Or if there are any other roles externally you can apply for?

Ladder23

Established Member
I would see if you could speak to someone in the recruitment or HR department at TfL, and explain your situation (if you haven't done so already) to see if you can get some answers there.
And again, if you haven't done so already, go onto Google and get some tips on how to get your CV looking good, and interview techniques etc.
Hopefully this will be a good start!

Thanks mate, only thing stopping me in the past was the clear note stating they can’t provide feedback, but I will wing it!

Ladder23

Established Member
Sorry to hear. Sometimes it’s literally the volume of applications they receive that makes it so difficult, you say you’ve applied countless time; it sounds as though you’ve applied 20/30 times? Is that accurate? I would definitely consider speak to TfL’s recruitment department and asking them for advice.

Exaggeration mate I’ll be honest, but 10+ for sure, I had the same job application only recently but on the northern line, same response.

Volume I have to agree with, sadly up against 1000+ it’s hard to shine, and I imagine any internal applicants get brownie points

Ladder23

Established Member
Tfl don't do feedback for externals as a general rule but maybe given how much you have applied you can definitely try your luck. I'm sorry it's proving difficult it's hard to say don't give up but have you considered maybe doing csa and then you are able to apply internally? Or if there are any other roles externally you can apply for?
Csa I applied for actually on the last campaign and I had the same response saying unsuccessful,

I’m happy to go for it again, although I feel being in csa it will be harder to get a maintenance role, despite showing evidence on the cv I believe it will be overlooked

Bucephalus

I'm sorry to hear about that Ladder23. It must be frustrating considering the level you're already up to. Personally, in my opinion, I think starting with a CSA role for tfl would send a strange message considering how qualified you are.

If it crops up again, I recommend applying for the train maintainer job with tfl - £38k+ salary. Different direction I know, but it would fit. It came up twice in 2019 so you never know. I'm preparing myself for a "thank you, unfortunately, unsuccessful" email for said job very soon for said job lol

Edit: got my "no" email just right now!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.