• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unsuccessful at second GWR Conductor Assessment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neeny

Hello,
As the title suggests, I got to the group stages for the conductor assessment but didn’t make the interview. Feedback I got was I was working with two strong characters in the presentation stage and I didn’t come through enough. I then didn’t present my points confidently enough to the room, looked at the board too much etc. One other point he made was that I talked over someone a couple of times in the group discussion.
So I guess I can work on these points with some confidence building and being more aware of myself for next time. This is my first interview in over 14 years so I WAS very nervous.
He pointed out that it was a hard decision to not put me through but in the end I didn’t make the cut. He also said that he wanted me to come back in 6 months to try again and be more confident this time and that I should really research the role of conductor so whatever question we get on the presentation part (heart or safety) I could more confidently knock out the points.
My question is. How do I do that? Apart from reading the job description back to front, front to back, riding the trains a whole heap and asking conductors some questions how can I research further?
Any advice would be appreciated!
J x

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stigy

Established Member
Hi Neeny,

I’d advise asking any specific info at Forums like this, and simply looking at the company’s website for facts and figures. You might also consider visiting a depot and asking questions there, as this shows enthusiasm and conscientiousness.

Emmsie

Hello,
As the title suggests, I got to the group stages for the conductor assessment but didn’t make the interview. Feedback I got was I was working with two strong characters in the presentation stage and I didn’t come through enough. I then didn’t present my points confidently enough to the room, looked at the board too much etc. One other point he made was that I talked over someone a couple of times in the group discussion.
So I guess I can work on these points with some confidence building and being more aware of myself for next time. This is my first interview in over 14 years so I WAS very nervous.
He pointed out that it was a hard decision to not put me through but in the end I didn’t make the cut. He also said that he wanted me to come back in 6 months to try again and be more confident this time and that I should really research the role of conductor so whatever question we get on the presentation part (heart or safety) I could more confidently knock out the points.
My question is. How do I do that? Apart from reading the job description back to front, front to back, riding the trains a whole heap and asking conductors some questions how can I research further?
J x
Its very important in the group presentation to balance being confident without being overbearing. You can't sit back and let others participate, but equally you can't take over.

Joel466

Hello,
J x
I had exactly the same thing in October - I was too over bearing and need to go away and learn more about the role of a conductor - what depot were you applying for? Mine was Reading which I’ve just seen is reopened again but I can’t apply again until late April

Neeny

I had exactly the same thing in October - I was too over bearing and need to go away and learn more about the role of a conductor - what depot were you applying for? Mine was Reading which I’ve just seen is reopened again but I can’t apply again until late April
Yep I’m reading too. Best of luck for April! Did they sound keen to get you back to try again?

Status
Not open for further replies.