• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unusual bus in Bolton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gostav

I study at the University of Bolton and living in Bolton so when l have free time would be take some photo at the Bolton interchange.
27972549967_8e7271376b_b.jpg

This special bus shot from a sunny weekend at Bolton interchange when l realized a bus has two doors is unusual in outside London. That is interesting, because in major Europe (only where l am familiar) most bus over than 8 meters in length usually must be with two or three doors.
I did not find the bus model or class.
27972783087_2815600584_b.jpg

This bus look really old. What is it model number?
I make friend with some local artists so l can use the darkroom for enlarged my B/W photo but no way for the color.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

carlberry

Established Member
The first picture is of an ex London (via Bristol!) bus which is why it's got two doors. It's unusual for the second door to be used once it's left London.

Y961 XBU

The 2nd Bus is T42 PVM Which is a Volvo Olympian/East Lancs Pyoneer, Sometimes it gets into Service however its not DDA Compliant so should not happen

northwichcat

Veteran Member
The first picture is of an ex London (via Bristol!) bus which is why it's got two doors. It's unusual for the second door to be used once it's left London.

First Bus used to have ex-London deckers with two sets of doors still in operation in Doncaster.

YX12 AOF and YX12 AON, currently on loan from Centrebus to D&G Bus also still have two sets of doors, reportedly they are restricted to one certain route because of the need for any wheelchair users to board via the middle doors. Of course the reason middle doors are rare outside of London is due to revenue protection on routes where the driver is the only person able to sell and check tickets.

6Gman

Established Member
First Bus used to have ex-London deckers with two sets of doors still in operation in Doncaster.

YX12 AOF and YX12 AON, currently on loan from Centrebus to D&G Bus also still have two sets of doors, reportedly they are restricted to one certain route because of the need for any wheelchair users to board via the middle doors. Of course the reason middle doors are rare outside of London is due to revenue protection on routes where the driver is the only person able to sell and check tickets.

There are other reasons why single doors are preferred:

Safety (monitoring of centre doors)
Seating capacity
(Not sure if it's still true, but) In the past there have been problems of structural integrity with centre doors

mic

I study at the University of Bolton and living in Bolton so when l have free time would be take some photo at the Bolton interchange.

This special bus shot from a sunny weekend at Bolton interchange when l realized a bus has two doors is unusual in outside London. That is interesting, because in major Europe (only where l am familiar) most bus over than 8 meters in length usually must be with two or three doors.
27972783087_2815600584_b.jpg

This bus look really old. What is it model number?
I make friend with some local artists so l can use the darkroom for enlarged my B/W photo but no way for the color.
There are other reasons why single doors are preferred:

Safety (monitoring of centre doors)
Seating capacity
(Not sure if it's still true, but) In the past there have been problems of structural integrity with centre doors
seating capacity of 40206 is H43/21D

Sorry to wake this one up, but since no one did fully ID the bus, it's a Wright Pulsar Gemini on a VDL DB250LF chassis, originally new to Arriva London.

Dr_Paul

Established Member
Of course the reason middle doors are rare outside of London is due to revenue protection on routes where the driver is the only person able to sell and check tickets.

But London buses are driver-only too. Unless of course we Londoners are more honest than folk in the rest of the country -- something I highly doubt.

Deerfold

Veteran Member

Or perhaps because a lot of bus stations outside London are rather dangerous if you get off at a middle door.

rick9525

But London buses are driver-only too. Unless of course we Londoners are more honest than folk in the rest of the country -- something I highly doubt.

The “Boris Busses” have started going Front Door entry only due to revenue issues which is ironic given that was the reason they were brought in. The 8 from Bow is one of the first. Wheelchair uses can still use the middle door but it’s unclear re pushchairs etc. The rear 2 card readers no longer work. I saw this on DiamondGeezer blog.

carlberry

Established Member
Of course the reason middle doors are rare outside of London is due to revenue protection on routes where the driver is the only person able to sell and check tickets. But London buses are driver-only too. Unless of course we Londoners are more honest than folk in the rest of the country -- something I highly doubt.
The reason is speed of boarding (it's not needed outside of London as much) and safety (the middle door has caused issues historically). Revenue protection issues are the same in London as elsewhere.

carlberry

Established Member
The “Boris Busses” have started going Front Door entry only due to revenue issues which is ironic given that was the reason they were brought in. The 8 from Bow is one of the first. Wheelchair uses can still use the middle door but it’s unclear re pushchairs etc. The rear 2 card readers no longer work. I saw this on DiamondGeezer blog.
They were brought in to promote brand Boris, no other reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.