• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unusual moves Belgium

Status
Not open for further replies.

iknowyeah

Due to the impending lockdown in Saxony my travel plans have changed and I have a free day in Belgium in a couple of weeks. I will be staying in Mechelen and was wondering if there's any unusual stock moves to travel on or some aging or loco hauled stuff around. Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

StephenHunter

Established Member
Mechelen is on the Brussels-Antwerp route and there is plenty of loco-hauled operations around, including the NS/SNCB IC Direct Services.

Veteran Member
Due to the impending lockdown in Saxony my travel plans have changed and I have a free day in Belgium in a couple of weeks. I will be staying in Mechelen and was wondering if there's any unusual stock moves to travel on or some aging or loco hauled stuff around. Thanks!
Not sure if this is still true, but the P(Peak)- trains through Brussels used to produce the older locos and stock.

MarcVD

If you come spend a few hours in Charleroi, you have good chances to spot or ride our oldest EMUs and M4 hauled stock. Also the trains between Verviers and Aachen are guaranteed to be done with the oldest EMUS that we still have on our roster.

AlexNL

Established Member
Belgium has lots of loco hauled stuff running around on their network.

The local and regional trains (L- and S- trains) are operated with units, many of them being Desiro MLs, on the longer distance routes you're very likely to find HLE 18s, HLE 21s and HLE 27s pushing or pulling coaches. The Belgian railways' M6 double decker coaching stock is very comfortable.

On HSL 2, the high speed railway between Leuven and Liège, loco hauled trains travel at speeds of up to 200 km/h. Look for trains traveling between Oostende and Eupen, those go via HSL2.

You can view the booked formations of Belgian trains on this website: BeLuxTrains in english

iknowyeah

Thanks! I was thinking of going through Aachen so that could be of interest then come back on the IC from Eupen

Status
Not open for further replies.