• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unusual Power on Leicester -Lincoln service yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnsf734

Yesterday (Monday 6 November 2017) I saw one of the 3 Leicester -Lincoln EMT trains was formed of 222 102. First time I have seen one of these services formed of a class 222. I saw it on 2L68 (1436 Lincoln -Leicester) and it was still on the diagram when I saw it again on 2T87 (2026 Leicester -Nottingham) where it was due to finish for another unit forward.

Normal power for these trains is 2x153, 156 or 158 so a Meridian was unusual.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mallard

Established Member
222s regularly turn up on the 0730 Nottingham-Leicester (2L52). I do wonder if EMT will correctly apply the rules in relation to the presence of "first class" accommodation on these trains... Somehow I doubt it.

LowLevel

Established Member
222s regularly turn up on the 0730 Nottingham-Leicester (2L52). I do wonder if EMT will correctly apply the rules in relation to the presence of "first class" accommodation on these trains... Somehow I doubt it.

What rules are you referring to? Firstly there are no rules stopping the official in charge of the train stopping any passenger from using any particular accommodation on board a train whether it is first class or standard class... (There is no entitlement to use first class accommodation on a service which is deemed by the timetable to be standard class only, but equally if it's not taken out of use and made inaccessible it's reasonable to expect to be able to use it without additional charge)

However if what I suspect you're actually getting at is a daft pot shot that you doubt EMT are allowing the accommodation to be used (it's not a "rule") then I'm afraid you're wrong anyway - how else do you expect boarding on a 4 coach train fitted with selective door opening using mostly short platforms to be done in any reasonable timescale when the first class vehicle and composite are leading 50% of the time? The crockery is cleared away before the train enters service and the whole train is available for use of standard class passengers. It's confusing enough as it is running a 4 coach Intercity spec train on a local service without making life anymore difficult and it's hard work for the train crew. The revenue protection and passenger management side is dealt with by local side senior conductors using managers or train managers to conduct on the traction so I can assure you they aren't fussed about first class as they don't have it anyway.

As it happens whenever EMT use Intercity stock on standard only trains (additional, football specials, summer Saturday Skegness services) the whole train is invariably made available for the use of standard class passengers.

mallard

Established Member
The "rule" as understand it is that they cannot charge for a first class ticket on a service that is not advertised in the official timetable as having first class accommodation. That includes restricting such accommodation to people who happen to have a first class ticket intended for the parallel InterCity services. The accommodation has to be either available to everybody or nobody.

LowLevel

Established Member
The "rule" as understand it is that they cannot charge for a first class ticket on a service that is not advertised in the official timetable as having first class accommodation. That includes restricting such accommodation to people who happen to have a first class ticket intended for the parallel InterCity services. The accommodation has to be either available to everybody or nobody.

In which case see the above answer - EMT first accommodation is always made available to standard class ticket holders (and indeed they are encouraged to use it on these particular trains to make boarding and alighting at places like Syston easier) on these and other services. They aren't a TOC that tries that game. The exception obviously is the through London <> Lincoln trains that have advertised first class.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Whenever I've worked a HST on an EMT local service it has been declassified and it has never even entered my head to go around trying to pretend it's first class when it isn't. Depending upon which end of the train the 'blue seats' are at Skegness it'll either end up fully loaded or fairly empty. The same goes for when I've worked onboard a 222. The only downside is when you get on a set and you have to clear away 2.5 coaches of crockery and accoutrements yourself!

Status
Not open for further replies.