• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Upcoming driver assessment

Status
Not open for further replies.

LETHLFH

Hi people,

I have an upcoming driver assessment early November, I have sat one previously and failed but I am confident I can pass most stages now. The stage I am most worried about is the MMI. I was wondering if anybody could help me with what the questions may be and what exactly does the MMI assess? E.g is it just communication skills or is it a lot more than that?

Thanks in advance

Ph
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I understand due to the sensitivity of the assessment people may not be willing to just publish the questions in a public forum but I would be just as grateful if anybody pm'd me any info

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Belgarion

If you Google MMi then there are loads of threads in these forums that can give you an insight into the questions that may be asked on the day. To prepare yourself try using the STAR technique when answering the questions this works for me everytime:

1. Situation: Open with a brief description of the Situation and context of the story (who, what, where, when, how).
2. Task: Explain the Task you had to complete highlighting any specific challenges or constraint (eg deadlines, costs, other issues).
3. Action: Describe the specific Actions that you took to complete the task. These should highlight desirable traits without needing to state them (initiative, intelligence, dedication, leadership, understanding, etc.)
4. Result: Close with the result of your efforts. Include figures to quantify the result if possible.

Gekko5154

All the best for your assessment!
I have recently passed mine and now awaiting a DMI interview. I want everybody who applies to pass so ill help out best I can.
The MMI will consist of you writing down 6 breif answers to the following questions :
1. Describe a time you have been in a emergency situation
2. Describe a time when you had to follow rules and procedures
3. Describe a role you do that's similar to a train driver
4. Describe a time when you been on a training course over 2weeks or your greatest achievement
5. Describe a time when you have had to solve a difficult problem
6. Describe a time when you have worked for long periods of time alone

Those are the questions you will be asked so prepare well. Before that you will have to do a situational judgement test. If you need any more info pm me

JohnFM

Hi people,

I have an upcoming driver assessment early November, I have sat one previously and failed but I am confident I can pass most stages now. The stage I am most worried about is the MMI. I was wondering if anybody could help me with what the questions may be and what exactly does the MMI assess? E.g is it just communication skills or is it a lot more than that?

Thanks in advance

Ph
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I understand due to the sensitivity of the assessment people may not be willing to just publish the questions in a public forum but I would be just as grateful if anybody pm'd me any info

You could have just searched this forum, it has been posted many times.

I would say, however, that reciting one example is fine and dandy but the interviewer sometimes asks for another example of each question, so make sure you have two examples or a couple of interchangeable scenarios ready.

This forum is well known and interviewers are well aware of and see what is posted on here.

Many applicants have recited their obviously very well rehearsed answer then fall to pieces when asked for another example, thereby failing!

Good luck.

Last edited:

Raul_Duke

They might not ask you the question directly as you see them written here.

My advise would be to learn the core skills required of an outstanding train driver (you can find it online) and think about WHY they're asking each question.

Don't just rehearse a prepared answer. They will go off on a tangent with your answers. If you know WHY they're asking and what they want to see evidence of, you'll be fine.

Gekko5154

I agree somewhat with the above post but from my own experience I was asked those exact questions and I had prepared word for word my answers. My MMI was over in 30mins....if that and I sailed through. Definitely check the key roles and responsibilities of a train driver to incorporate them into your answers.

Firestarter

All the best for your assessment!
I have recently passed mine and now awaiting a DMI interview. I want everybody who applies to pass so ill help out best I can.
The MMI will consist of you writing down 6 breif answers to the following questions :
1. Describe a time you have been in a emergency situation
2. Describe a time when you had to follow rules and procedures
3. Describe a role you do that's similar to a train driver
4. Describe a time when you been on a training course over 2weeks or your greatest achievement
5. Describe a time when you have had to solve a difficult problem
6. Describe a time when you have worked for long periods of time alone

Those are the questions you will be asked so prepare well. Before that you will have to do a situational judgement test. If you need any more info pm me

how Brief you talking?

Gekko5154

You basically write a few sentence about each topic. Once they take the paper they will expect you to elaborate on what you wrote for the actually MMI interview.

danbarnstall

Any idea what the pass standard is for Group Bourdon?

Got similar answer sheets to the real tests. The dots are smaller but rows longer than the online tool.

Managing a steady 8 rows per sheet in 2 mins without any errors (5 sheets in total in 10 mins). Can go quicker but one or two errors creep in, also number of rows fluctuate between 9/10 rows.

Belgarion

Any idea what the pass standard is for Group Bourdon?

Got similar answer sheets to the real tests. The dots are smaller but rows longer than the online tool.

Managing a steady 8 rows per sheet in 2 mins without any errors (5 sheets in total in 10 mins). Can go quicker but one or two errors creep in, also number of rows fluctuate between 9/10 rows.

I did 10-12 rows per sheet, I assume without too many errors because I passed.

Davecooper

What are peoples thoughts on using bullet points rather than writing a brief description for the MMI questionnaire? I have read elsewhere that people have used bullet points and found this was good enough.

Belgarion

What are peoples thoughts on using bullet points rather than writing a brief description for the MMI questionnaire? I have read elsewhere that people have used bullet points and found this was good enough.

I can't see that being a problem because when you actually have the MMI you are asked to alloborate on what you have written anyway. If the bullet points cover what has been asked in the question how it's written down shouldn't be an issue. My advice for the MMI, know what your answers to the questions are going to be before you go, only use examples that you have actually been involved in because when you asked to expand the answer in the interview you will be found out if it's not true and the last thing you want is to get tongue tied and confused. Be genuine, honest, open and confident, don't forget you have done extremely well to get to the MMI as thousands have fallen before this. Good luck

I believe the MMI questionaire is not marked and is just there for the interviewer to grill you on so either way should be fine as long as you are able to go into detail when asked about the examples you have given

Anyone know if it is acceptable to split an answer into two parts? Eg rules and procedures. I'm a bus driver so follow the rules of the road etc and then say about the procedure for a passenger incidents?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.