• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Upgrading a Virgin Advance Comp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blinkbonny

I've got a Complimentary Standard Advance Virgin Return. The trains I'm looking at are only £4 dearer (at the moment) for First Class over the Standard. Is there any chance of booking my Comp Standard and then paying some sort of difference to have First Class?

Using my Comp I obviously want to go as far as possible. If I'm travelling Standard I'm less tempted.

It's a nightmare aint it?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
Yes, if travelling on a weekend or bank holiday you can pay for Weekend First on board. The cost is between £10 and £25 depending on distance travelled.

If travelling on a weekday I don’t think there will be any way to book into 1st class.

gray1404

Established Member
Not possible to do this on a Comp STD until at weekend or bank holiday as described above. I think the value printed on your ticket is £0.05 when it prints off with a COMP STD code so you don't want to pay the difference between this and the 1ST fare.

I would say select some seats you really like, be that for leg room or a good window view, in STD using the seat selector online and get yourself some nice food and drinks to eat on the train and you will still arrive awesome!

On the topic of Virgin Comp tickets I never get issued with these anymore. They always work out my compensation to the exact penny. Its like I've had too many of them. I might use th GPR Right to be Forgotten and start a fresh on the CRM system.

Blinkbonny

I might use the GPR Right to be Forgotten and start a fresh on the CRM system.

:D There's a couple of bookmaker firms I wish I could do that with!

Thanks folks, I feared that might be the case. Sunday outwards might be a good idea. Even if I don't upgrade, a morning train can see you with a coach to yourself anyway.

gray1404

Established Member
I personally do not think it is worth upgrading to weekend first on Virgin for two reasons. A lot of people do it and thus first can end up somewhat busy and often quite loud as it is attracting pleasure travellers. Secondly, the weekend catering is nothing compared to that offered during the week.

Starmill

Veteran Member
If you want to, on VT you can also book your weekend first upgrade and get a reserved seat in First Class at a ticket office too.

gray1404

Established Member
Does their own website allow allow you to buy weekend first if travelling with them at the weekend if you buy it the same time as booking your standard class ticket?

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Does their own website allow allow you to buy weekend first if travelling with them at the weekend if you buy it the same time as booking your standard class ticket?
I think it usually does, though presumably only if travelling between stations served by Virgin Trains.

Status
Not open for further replies.