• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Upgrading to first class for journey home tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

iphone76

Hi.
I currently have an annual standard ticket between Wickford and London Liverpool Street. (Cost £2980).
I fancy the "luxury" of going home tonight in 1st class. (Seriously).
Do you know how much it would cost me to do this? Is there a supplement I can pay, or would I need to buy the full 1st class single fare (About £20.40 I believe).
Not sure if my Gold Card discount could be used.
Many thanks.
Tom

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Brucey

The most recent information I have to hand (from September 2010), states this "The difference between the price of the Standard and First Class Single ticket, available for immediate travel, for the journey being made."

The "Simplifier" then goes on to say
Season Tickets

7 Day, 1 Month or over.

Charge the difference between the appropriate Standard and First Class (Single or Return, as applicable) fares for the journey provided the excess fare is paid before the journey starts otherwise treat as if no ticket is held.

It also says
Railcard discounts are allowed unless otherwise stated above provided the Railcard is valid for First Class discounts; Reference to 'appropriate fare' means the Single or Return fare available for immediate travel on the chosen service.

I'd estimate the excess to be around £7.70 without any gold card discount.

wintonian

Established Member
This isn't relevant when travelling on the route covered by your season ticket but for future reference the gold card upgrade my be of interest:

NRE said:
Gold Cards may be able to benefit from the Gold Card First Supplement, if they are not travelling on the journey covered by their Annual Gold Card Season Ticket or Travelcard.

Holders of Annual Gold Cards Season Tickets and Travelcards may buy a special First Class upgrade for £5.00 (children £2.50) when travelling on a Standard Class ticket which has received an Annual Gold Card discount.

This allows travel in First Class accommodation on trains within the Network Railcard area on for the date shown on the supplement ticket. If the return journey is made on another day, a further Supplement ticket must be purchased.

On Saturdays, Sundays and Public Holidays you may travel in First Accommodation by simply paying the supplement.

The Gold Card First Supplement ticket may be used in First Class after 1000 Monday to Friday and at any time on Saturdays, Sundays and Public Holidays. In addition, the Gold Card First Supplement cannot be used on journeys departing from any London terminal station or any intermediate journey between London and Clapham Junction inclusive between 1600 and 1900 (inclusive).

Gold Card First Supplement tickets are not valid for travel on services operated by CrossCountry, East Coast, East Midlands Trains (Mainline), Heathrow Express and Virgin Trains.

Status
Not open for further replies.