• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Upminster - Great Missenden - Minimum walking & steps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Essexman

Established Member
I've been asked for advice by elderly friends with luggage for a route from Upminster to Great Missenden for tomorrow with minimal walking and steps.

The best I can think of is -

Upminster (lift access) - Upton Park (or similar) (District Line)
Upton Park (same platform) - Great Portland Street (or similar) (Hammersmith & City)
Great Portland Street (same platform) - Amersham (Metropolitan Line)(but only half hourly so maybe longish wait with few seats on tube stations)
Amersham - Great Missenden (Chiltern) - I'm not sure about platform interchange at Amersham.

Alternative could be to change to Chiltern at Harrow on the Hill which gives double the number of trains to Amersham but needs change of platform probably with steps.

Can anyone advise anything better?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Upton Park (same platform) - Great Portland Street (or similar) (Hammersmith & City)
Great Portland Street (same platform) - Amersham (Metropolitan Line)(but only half hourly so maybe longish wait with few seats on tube stations)
Amersham - Great Missenden (Chiltern) - I'm not sure about platform interchange at Amersham.
I think I would suggest the changes at Moorgate and Chalford & Latimer, rather than Great Portland Street and Amersham.

Moorgate is a bit more spacious westbound and nearer to where the Metropolitan line train starts.

Changing at Chalfont & Latimer means a Chesham service can be taken rather than having to catch an Amersham service and avoids a footbridge eastbound.

I think almost all Hammersmith & City trains start from the sidings at Barking now rather than the distant bay which might mean a Fenchurch Street service might be feasible rather than the District Linem

High Dyke

Established Member
I've seen various options including:
  • C2C to West Ham
  • Jubilee Line to Finchley Road
  • Metropolitan Line to Amersham
  • Chiltern to Great Missenden.
I did also run this through the TfL journey planner, opting for least walking and step free access. It gave this typical route.
Screenshot_20220925-192803_Chrome.jpg

Taunton

Established Member
  • C2C to West Ham
  • Jubilee Line to Finchley Road
West Ham C2C to Jubilee is an appalling down-up-down involving three lifts and a LOT of walking.

For those of restricted mobility it's also good to consider stations with straight platforms, not curved, to avoid any with larger gaps.

njr001

You could take any Met. Service from Moorgate to Harrow on the Hill which now has lifts the problem could be that some Chiltern services are only two carriages and can be quite crowded. If you have previously boarded an Amersham/ Chesham train it may be better to continue to Chalfont and Latimer whilst slower as it will stop at all stations you are likely to find a Chiltern train less crowded beyond Chalfont and there will be little walking involved as it will leave from the same platform.

Veteran Member
Changing at Chalfont & Latimer from a Chesham service offers the best connection offpeak.

Status
Not open for further replies.