• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

US Bridge bashing video

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

wintonian

Established Member
Thought this was about travelling over railway bridges. :)

:o :o

I peoples eye sight is so bad that they can't read the great big sign informing them of the clearance ,or a e just to stupid to check how high their vehicle/ tow are, then they shouldn't be allowed to drive.

Eagle

Established Member
There's another more likely explanation: the signed bridge height is wrong.

Given the unusual frequency with which this bridge is hit, and the fact that all the vehicles seem to be only a couple of inches too tall (only losing the top of the trailer roof), I reckon that the bridge is actually about six inches lower than the sign states, and either whoever ordered the signs mismeasured it, or the level of the road changed when it was resurfaced and no one thought to check the new height.

wintonian

Established Member
There's another more likely explanation: the signed bridge height is wrong.

Given the unusual frequency with which this bridge is hit, and the fact that all the vehicles seem to be only a couple of inches too tall (only losing the top of the trailer roof), I reckon that the bridge is actually about six inches lower than the sign states, and either whoever ordered the signs mismeasured it, or the level of the road changed when it was resurfaced and no one thought to check the new height.

Bering in mind this on the other side of the great pond I would have expected it to be changed immediately after the first law suit was threatened..

Eagle

Established Member
Or it could be that the state's DoT doesn't have the commonsense rule that bridge heights are signed a few inches lower than they are in reality.

The UK rule, laid out in the Traffic Signs Manual, is bridge height minus three inches, rounded down to the nearest three inches. (So in this case an 11 ft 8 in bridge would be signed as 11' 3".)

Thought this was about travelling over railway bridges. :)

:o :o

I peoples eye sight is so bad that they can't read the great big sign informing them of the clearance ,or a e just to stupid to check how high their vehicle/ tow are, then they shouldn't be allowed to drive.

There's a railway bridge in The Calls Leeds that was regularly hit. Hasn't happened for a while now though.

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
That's quite bad that. If they can't see the sign, why should they be driving? And they could see the low bridge so why even attempt?

At least it wasn't as bad as this:

[youtube]7R6TrOnLJAE[/youtube]

Status
Not open for further replies.