• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

USB-C - do any UK trains have these ports for charging devices?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoneSouth

Apple have finally caved into EU demands and is switching to USB type C all of its new iPhone range. I think that means all of their products lines have switched to type C.

The perception is that most android devices are also type C these days so that made me think. The ability to charge phones is available on most trains these days, either via the standard 3 pin UK power socket or via a USB only socket. Which trains only have USB ports, and do any of them use USB type C? If not, and they only use type A, there will be some unhappy Apple users who now need to buy an adapter or new cable to charge on the go.

Don’t get me wrong, Apple making the switch is the right thing to do but I’m guessing that the majority of smartphones sold from now will require type C. Does that mean a lot of money and effort has been wasted installing type A ports on a lot of trains? I honestly have no idea how many don’t go for the full 3 pin power solution, but I do know there are lots of type A on buses.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Type C is more complex to implement than Type A because it can provide a much higher power output and has more complex electronics to negotiate it. I don't think people would be happy with Type C sockets that were really just Type A but a different shape - they might for instance set expectations about being able to power a laptop but then be unable to do so.

I expect we will see it, but not quite yet. Probably first on those trains where they've installed a 230VAC supply and just fitted faceplates that include both a 3 pin socket and built-in USB like the ones in my kitchen, as this will just involve swapping the faceplates costing about a tenner* a pop. Much more complex to do it where the circuits are low voltage for USB only.

In the meantime you can get small adapters or an A-C cable for next to nothing. Those who spend £1K on an iPhone aren't going to care about spending another fiver on a cable or adapter.

* Faceplates with USB C are quite rare at the moment and a lot more than a tenner - but give it a year or two and they will be cheap like ones with A are now.

DustyBin

Established Member
Type C is more complex to implement than Type A because it can provide a much higher power output and has more complex electronics to negotiate it. I don't think people would be happy with Type C sockets that were really just Type A but a different shape - they might for instance set expectations about being able to power a laptop but then be unable to do so.

I expect we will see it, but not quite yet. Probably first on those trains where they've installed a 230VAC supply and just fitted faceplates that include both a 3 pin socket and built-in USB like the ones in my kitchen, as this will just involve swapping the faceplates costing about a tenner* a pop. Much more complex to do it where the circuits are low voltage for USB only.

In the meantime you can get small adapters or an A-C cable for next to nothing. Those who spend £1K on an iPhone aren't going to care about spending another fiver on a cable or adapter.

* Faceplates with USB C are quite rare at the moment and a lot more than a tenner - but give it a year or two and they will be cheap like ones with A are now.

Interesting, thanks.

We have Type C in our kitchen (as well as Type A). I wasn't convinced we'd ever use them to be honest so this makes me feel better!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
My car has both USB sockets types. My iPhone uses a 20w iPad wall charger, they are already USB C. The change means I’ll be able to throw a few more cables in the cupboard. About time really.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I just bought a few C to A adapters for my iPhone cables

Having had an iPad for ages (and these have been USB C for a long time now, I think Air 1 was USB C and they're up to the Air 4 now) I've just bought replacement cables, but yes, adapters also work, I just have a habit of losing them :)

It's nothing more than a mild annoyance really.

skyhigh

Established Member
100% this. For the last few years most (all?) manufacturers haven't included wall chargers due to e-waste reasons. So a lot of Apple users will currently be using their old Apple supplied iPhone wall plug which probably has a USB A socket and then a USB A to Lightning cable. I would guess the vast majority of iPhone 15 purchasers would just buy a new USB A to C cable rather than a whole new wall plug. Getting a couple more for use with a power bank/car/train etc is no hardship when they can be found in Poundland.

When I got my last phone it came with USB C. I didn't have any devices then with USB C so just got a pack of A to C cables. It wasn't an issue at all.

Richardr

Apple have finally caved into EU demands and is switching to USB type C all of its new iPhone range. I think that means all of their products lines have switched to type C.

The perception is that most android devices are also type C these days so that made me think. The ability to charge phones is available on most trains these days, either via the standard 3 pin UK power socket or via a USB only socket. Which trains only have USB ports, and do any of them use USB type C? If not, and they only use type A, there will be some unhappy Apple users who now need to buy an adapter or new cable to charge on the go.

Don’t get me wrong, Apple making the switch is the right thing to do but I’m guessing that the majority of smartphones sold from now will require type C. Does that mean a lot of money and effort has been wasted installing type A ports on a lot of trains? I honestly have no idea how many don’t go for the full 3 pin power solution, but I do know there are lots of type A on buses.
The requirement for phones is new models from the end of 2024 and for laptops during 2026

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
100% this. For the last few years most (all?) manufacturers haven't included wall chargers due to e-waste reasons. So a lot of Apple users will currently be using their old Apple supplied iPhone wall plug which probably has a USB A socket and then a USB A to Lightning cable. I would guess the vast majority of iPhone 15 purchasers would just buy a new USB A to C cable rather than a whole new wall plug. Getting a couple more for use with a power bank/car/train etc is no hardship when they can be found in Poundland.

When I got my last phone it came with USB C. I didn't have any devices then with USB C so just got a pack of A to C cables. It wasn't an issue at all.
As you say, and we’ve been here before when Apple changed from 30 pin to lightning at the phone connector end. I’ve always had more wall adaptors and cables than ever came with the phones anyway, for convenience. It’s just a normal part of using a mobile phone that you get on with. AFAICT though the EU mandate doesn’t cover built in USB wall sockets?

As a side point, I use an iMac as well. The wireless keyboard and mouse still use lightning charging ports - presumably they aren’t in the EU‘s sights yet, because they’re only looking at phones…

TheSmiths82

I personally prefer standard 240v sockets despite it being inefficient. The USB C port on my phone broke a long time ago so I have to use wireless charging on trains. I think USB C ports on trains won't be robust on enough and will soon break like the old fashioned USB A ones did. At least with a 240v socket they are very durable.

Davester50

I personally prefer standard 240v sockets despite it being inefficient. The USB C port on my phone broke a long time ago so I have to use wireless charging on trains. I think USB C ports on trains won't be robust on enough and will soon break like the old fashioned USB A ones did. At least with a 240v socket they are very durable.
I prefer the 240 socket, after a ScotRail set fried my charger a good few years ago. At least it took out a cheap to replace item, and not the phone.
I've got the data blocker stick for USB-A when needs must.

TheSmiths82

Just to clarify I have to take my wireless charger with me and plug into into the 240V socket, now wireless charging on trains would be great though :D
I prefer the 240 socket, after a ScotRail set fried my charger a good few years ago. At least it took out a cheap to replace item, and not the phone.
I've got the data blocker stick for USB-A when needs must.
If it was a decent quality item then there should be enough protection and a big enough spark gap in the design to stop any high voltage reaching the secondary side. It is the cheap fake stuff that can damage phones, but then I am not sure why anybody thinks it is a good idea to buy a £1 charger for a £500 phone at the local market.

Richardr

As you say, and we’ve been here before when Apple changed from 30 pin to lightning at the phone connector end. I’ve always had more wall adaptors and cables than ever came with the phones anyway, for convenience. It’s just a normal part of using a mobile phone that you get on with. AFAICT though the EU mandate doesn’t cover built in USB wall sockets?

As a side point, I use an iMac as well. The wireless keyboard and mouse still use lightning charging ports - presumably they aren’t in the EU‘s sights yet, because they’re only looking at phones…
No - see above. The implementation of the rules depends on the type of device, laptops and larger items are from Spring 2026, phones and smaller items from the end of 2024.

It will ultimately apply to the likes of new mobile phones, tablets, digital cameras, headphones and headsets, handheld videogame consoles and portable speakers, e-readers, keyboards, mice, portable navigation systems, earbuds and laptops that are rechargeable via a wired cable.

MrJeeves

Established Member
Type C is more complex to implement than Type A because it can provide a much higher power output and has more complex electronics to negotiate it.
It really isn't... Type C is a connector that happens to support USB Power Delivery, which is what you're talking about, but PD isn't a requirement for implementing a Type C connector.

You can run USB 1 or USB 2 over Type C, and use their base power as per the spec or, more likely, 5V2.1A as is "standard" for basic charging accessories.

Davester50

Just to clarify I have to take my wireless charger with me and plug into into the 240V socket, now wireless charging on trains would be great though :D

If it was a decent quality item then there should be enough protection and a big enough spark gap in the design to stop any high voltage reaching the secondary side. It is the cheap fake stuff that can damage phones, but then I am not sure why anybody thinks it is a good idea to buy a £1 charger for a £500 phone at the local market.
It was an Ikea unit, which like the cables they produce, are pretty decent.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

One of the flaws of USB C is that if you push it vertically it can damage both the plug and socket (this is why Apple came up with MagSafe - that was never about selling cables and chargers because with laptops people tend to just use the one supplied). So yes, those sockets may get damaged. The other advantage of the 3 pin 230V plug is that it won't be going away.

Macbooks already support being charged via the USB C socket if you prefer not to use MagSafe, anyway. This isn't well publicised, I only noticed when I house-sat for a friend and plugged into his fancy USB C 4K monitor and wondered why the Macbook was charging!

The best approach is probably to wire the train for 230V AC and to fit faceplates with both a three pin socket and a couple of USB Cs. These are easy to replace if a new standard comes along in 10 years' time, and can also easily be swapped if the USB C sockets break. This also allows people to continue using older devices which don't have USB C - plenty of people use quite old laptops and have no plan to upgrade as what they have works fine for them. Even better a faceplate with both A and C for now if one is being provided per seat.

It really isn't... Type C is a connector that happens to support USB Power Delivery, which is what you're talking about, but PD isn't a requirement for implementing a Type C connector.

You can run USB 1 or USB 2 over Type C, and use their base power as per the spec or, more likely, 5V2.1A as is "standard" for basic charging accessories.

This would, as I say, set false expectations which may be negative. If I see a USB C port I'll tend to assume it can deal with any USB C device. If I see a USB A port I'll assume it's just 5V 2A or thereabouts as is pretty common, and thus fine for a phone or tablet (though unlikely to give a decent charge to the latter) but not a laptop.

Most people have A to C cables anyway, so it's really quite moot to anyone but a purist. Even Anker power banks won't yet output to USB C (though they charge from it) so anyone who has one of those has an A to C cable.

Last edited:

Thirteen

Apple has been using USB C in their iPads and Macbooks for quite some time, it was only the iPhone that was the holdout.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Apple has been using USB C in their iPads and Macbooks for quite some time, it was only the iPhone that was the holdout.

Indeed so, plus the Airpods. I suspect they would probably have changed at some point anyway even without the EU legislation. Though the reason for having USB C on laptops and tablets is the wide range of accessories that can connect using it that aren't necessarily available at all on Lightning. This fits with their "my computer is my iPad" sales pitch for the iPad Pro.

Apple does make money on Lightning cables (both selling them and licensing the design), but it's nowhere near being their main source of income.

Davester50

I wouldn't say quite some time for the iPad. My 9th Gen isn't even a year old, bought at the end of September last year, and it's lightning.

option

USB C ports are more robust than the A ports, as they don't have the 'tongue' in the middle, which is what breaks.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I wouldn't say quite some time for the iPad. My 9th Gen isn't even a year old, bought at the end of September last year, and it's lightning.

I seem to recall the Air 1 used it, and we're now on the Air 4. And the Pro always has.

The "basic" iPad* is, like the iPhone SE, an old design (the SE is basically an evolved iPhone 7 for instance) being sold at a lower price due to continuing customer demand but without affecting the more premium end of the market.

* I'm surprised it isn't named with a suffix, e.g. iPad SE.

USB C ports are more robust than the A ports, as they don't have the 'tongue' in the middle, which is what breaks.

Umm, yes they do. Are you thinking of Lightning? That doesn't.

MrJeeves

Established Member
This would, as I say, set false expectations which may be negative. If I see a USB C port I'll tend to assume it can deal with any USB C device. If I see a USB A port I'll assume it's just 5V 2A or thereabouts as is pretty common, and thus fine for a phone or tablet (though unlikely to give a decent charge to the latter) but not a laptop.
That's fair, but I don't think a consumer would realistically expect the same as you. They are used to knowing they can't use their phone's USB C charger to charge their laptop, at least not very quickly.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
That's fair, but I don't think a consumer would realistically expect the same as you. They are used to knowing they can't use their phone's USB C charger to charge their laptop, at least not very quickly.

More likely they won't ever have actually tried, because most people charge laptops using the supplied charger (and do get that a physically bigger charger is likely to be more powerful).

There's another reason to stick with A for now - everyone has a cable.

JamesT

Established Member
I seem to recall the Air 1 used it, and we're now on the Air 4. And the Pro always has.

The "basic" iPad* is, like the iPhone SE, an old design (the SE is basically an evolved iPhone 7 for instance) being sold at a lower price due to continuing customer demand but without affecting the more premium end of the market.

* I'm surprised it isn't named with a suffix, e.g. iPad SE.
Your recollection isn't quite correct.

iPad Pro 11-inch (1st generation or later)
iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation or later)
iPad Air (4th generation or later)
iPad mini (6th generation)
Though that's slightly behind now, as the 10th Gen iPad also now has USB-C. (Though they're still selling the 9th Gen as an entry-level model)

Status
Not open for further replies.