• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Used a 16-17 Railcard when I shouldn't have. (TPE)

Divine2x

Hi all,

I would just like some help and reassureance on the steps that will happen from now onwards.

So basically I got 2 Advance Singles from Stockport - Durham & Durham - Stockport and on my ticket I put that I have a 16-17 Saver, but I have legitimately bought a 16-25 Railcard and it expires on the 16th of August 2024, I just wanted to save that extra penny, and that I am currently on benefits, but I really didn't want this to happen this way, and I want to apologise to the people that are affected and this will not happen again.

I am 19 years old and not sure where to go from here.

I checked how many times I have done this before so all together I have bought 4 Off-peak return tickets, 6 Advance Single tickets and 1 Anytime Day Single with a 16-17 Saver, I will show more in depth of each ticket below:

Outbound 26/04/2024.

Stockport to Durham
Advance Single

Return 29/04/2024 (where I got this Ticket Irregularity Report from)

Durham to Stockport
Advance Single

--------------------------------------------

Outbound 24/04/23

Manchester Piccadilly - Stockport
Anytime Day Single

Outbound 31/12/22

Stockport - Loughborough
Off-Peak Return

Return 31/12/22

Loughborough - Stockport
Off-Peak Return

Outbound 10/11/22

Stockport - Loughborough
Off-Peak Return

Return 10/11/22

Loughborough - Stockport
Off-Peak Return

Outbound 29/08/22

Stockport - Nottingham
(Stockport - Sheffield {Advance Single} Sheffield - Nottingham {Advance Single})

Return 31/08/22

Nottingham - Stockport
(Nottingham - Sheffield {Advance Single} Sheffield - Stockport {Advance Single})

Not all of these are TPE some are other rail companies.

I am also starting my new job on Wednesday, would TPE allow small payments every month like direct debit or would it have to be all at once?, and would they be able to wait until I get paid from my work.

Please don't hesitate if you would need any more information,
Kind Regards.

Attachments

• IMG_2963.jpg
    IMG_2963.jpg
    454.6 KB · Views: 54
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Welwome to the forum!

We see lots of cases like this on here. Let me explain what will happen.

Transpennine's Prosecutions Department will write to you in the next few weeks. The letter will use quite threatening language and say that they have received a report and have sufficient evidence to prosecute but asking for your version of events before they decide how to proceed. It is very important that you reply to this letter. You might want to mention the following points in your reply:

- That you are sorry for what has happened
- What you have learned from the incident
- That you are keen to settle the matter without the need for court action
- Offer to pay the outstanding fare and the train company's administrative costs in dealing with the matter

Transpennine are usually prepared to offer an administrative settlement (commonly known as an out of court settlement) for people who engage with the process and who haven't come to their attention before. We cannot guarantee this and Transpennine are within their rights to prosecute you in the magistrates court should they choose to do so.

An aggravating factor is that you have done this before. Transpennine will be able to search your purchase history and will likely ask you about these further instances.

If you are offered a settlement you will need to be prepared to pay the outstanding fares at the full Anytime rate with no credit for the tickets you did purchase. You will also need to pay an admin fee of around £150. You will need to be in a position to pay the settlement in full within a few days of it being offered. An out of court settlement might appear to be a fine, but it isn't and you won't have a criminal record as a result of accepting one.

Feel free to post a copy of the letter once it arrives (with personal details redacted) along with your draft reply in this thread and forum members will be happy to proof read it for you.

Divine2x

Welwome to the forum!

Transpennine's Prosecutions Department will write to you in the next few weeks. The letter will use quite threatening language and say that they have received a report and have sufficient evidence to prosecute but asking for your version of events before they decide how to proceed. It is very important that you reply to this letter. You might want to mention the following points in your reply:

- Offer to pay the outstanding fare and the train company's administrative costs in dealing with the matter

Transpennine are usually prepared to offer an administrative settlement (commonly known as an out of court settlement) for people who engage with the process and who haven't come to their attention before. We cannot guarantee this and Transpennine are within their rights to prosecute you in the magistrates court should they choose to do so.

An aggravating factor is that you have done this before. Transpennine will be able to search your purchase history and will likely ask you about these further instances.

If you are offered a settlement you will need to be prepared to pay the outstanding fares at the full Anytime rate with no credit for the tickets you did purchase. You will also need to pay an admin fee of around £150. You will need to be in a position to pay the settlement in full within a few days of it being offered. An out of court settlement might appear to be a fine, but it isn't and you won't have a criminal record as a result of accepting one.

Feel free to post a copy of the letter once it arrives (with personal details redacted) along with your draft reply in this thread and forum members will be happy to proof read it for you.
Hi Hadders,

Could you help me make a reply to the letter that I would be getting or any examples that I could use.

Also what would happen if I wouldn’t be able to pay the amount in a few days notice but I am still willing to pay?

Kind Regards.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Could you help me make a reply to the letter that I would be getting or any examples that I could use.
There are plenty of examples of letters that people in similar situations to you have sent - just take a look at some of the other threads in this section of the forum.

Also what would happen if I wouldn’t be able to pay the amount in a few days notice but I am still willing to pay?
If you don't pay in full by the payment deadline then the matter is escalated to the Magistrates Court.

Titfield

Established Member
Hi Hadders,

Kind Regards.

There is some time to get the money together as the Train Operating Company will take at least a few days to send a letter to you which in turn will give you a few days to reply. They will then consider your response before they write to you again which, if it contains an offer of an out of court settlement, will give you a further few days to pay the settlement offered. However do not delay in getting the money together.

If you use the search button in the top right hand corner of the page you can find a number of examples of draft letters which have been written. It is best to scroll to the bottom of suitable threads as you will then see the final version of the letter which has been "improved" by forum members suggestions.

Do not use AI to write the letter as letters written by AI invariably come over as being insincere which is not the impression you wish to give to the TOC.

Avoiding going to court is very important as even though the effect of a conviction may be minor, the court will impose additional costs of a fine and victim surcharge. You will still have to pay the TOC.

JBuchananGB

When working out how much you may be invited to pay as an out of court settlement, use the adult undiscounted anytime single fares, without deducting any money you wasted on invalid tickets, and add about £150 for the admin charge.

Divine2x

Hi,

I have just recieved the letter in the post I will attach it below if you would like to look at it, I am going to make the letter now, does it have to be typed out online or written by hand (my writing is quite bad).

Kind Regards

Also what can I include in the letter that I have a 16-25 Railcard already? should I say that when it expires that I would buy another one? I am not quite sure to be honest.

Also would I be able to send it to their email they have provided at the top or would I have to post it?

Hi all,

I have created a letter and would like you guys to read it and go through anything that needs tweaking.

Transpennine Express
Hull Paragon Station Ferensway
Kingston-upon-Hull
North Humberside
HU1 3QX

Dear The Department of Prosecutions,

I am writing to address a regrettable incident involving the use of a 16-17 Saver Railcard in place of my still in-date 16-25 Railcard. I want to extend my sincerest apologies for any disruption my actions may have caused to the industry.

I made a stupid decision to use a 16-17 Saver Railcard with the intention of saving money for a trip to visit my mother in Durham. I now realize what I have done and would not do it again under any means necessary. I deeply regret resorting to such means to save money.

I am fully committed to ensuring that it does not happen again. I now understand the importance of the law. Rest assured; I will utilize my 16-25 Railcard exclusively for any future travels, and until the expiry date and will also renew the Railcard.

I am willing to take immediate steps to rectify my mistake. I am fully prepared to pay any amount required to settle this matter out of court and that I am keen to settle the matter without the need for court action as a conviction will ruin my future career opportunities, I will be grateful if you allow me to pay for my ticket and any admin fees that may have accumulated whilst looking into this case, I cannot give back the time that it has taken but I hope this settlement would help appease that.

Thank you for your understanding in this matter. I hope you can see that I have learned my lesson, and I will ensure this will never happen again no matter the circumstances.

I am looking forward to your reply.

Yours Sincerely,
[REDACTED]

------------------------

I really appreciate you guys help as I would make a right mess of this if I was alone.

Attachments

• IMG_2975.jpg
    IMG_2975.jpg
    416.6 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

Veteran Member
It's rather repetitive - I think paras 3 and 4 can go for example.

The second sentence in para 2 doesn't make sense to me, sorry.

Divine2x

The second sentence in para 2 doesn't make sense to me, sorry.
basically i got a 16-17 saver just to save some money because im not that financially stable and I was going to see my mum.

Is the sentence after that is what is confusing?

Veteran Member
basically i got a 16-17 saver just to save some money because im not that financially stable and I was going to see my mum.

Is the sentence after that is what is confusing?
Yes, but I think you have altered it now.

Divine2x

Yeah, I just edited it. I get what you mean by repetitive. but I dont know what else to say. I just want to make sure I persuade them to not make it a court order.

Anything else that needs to go in or needs tweaking? and is it better to send it via email or via post and if I do post how would that work? because I dont have any envelopes around nor any stamps.

furlong

Established Member
Don't forget to include a copy of your valid railcard when you reply.

sansyy

Hi all,

I would just like some help and reassureance on the steps that will happen from now onwards.

So basically I got 2 Advance Singles from Stockport - Durham & Durham - Stockport and on my ticket I put that I have a 16-17 Saver, but I have legitimately bought a 16-25 Railcard and it expires on the 16th of August 2024, I just wanted to save that extra penny, and that I am currently on benefits, but I really didn't want this to happen this way, and I want to apologise to the people that are affected and this will not happen again.

I am 19 years old and not sure where to go from here.

I checked how many times I have done this before so all together I have bought 4 Off-peak return tickets, 6 Advance Single tickets and 1 Anytime Day Single with a 16-17 Saver, I will show more in depth of each ticket below:

Outbound 26/04/2024.

Stockport to Durham
Advance Single

Return 29/04/2024 (where I got this Ticket Irregularity Report from)

Durham to Stockport
Advance Single

Outbound 24/04/23

Manchester Piccadilly - Stockport
Anytime Day Single

Outbound 31/12/22

Stockport - Loughborough
Off-Peak Return

Return 31/12/22

Loughborough - Stockport
Off-Peak Return

Outbound 10/11/22

Stockport - Loughborough
Off-Peak Return

Return 10/11/22

Loughborough - Stockport
Off-Peak Return

Outbound 29/08/22

Stockport - Nottingham
(Stockport - Sheffield {Advance Single} Sheffield - Nottingham {Advance Single})

Return 31/08/22

Nottingham - Stockport
(Nottingham - Sheffield {Advance Single} Sheffield - Stockport {Advance Single})

Not all of these are TPE some are other rail companies.

I am also starting my new job on Wednesday, would TPE allow small payments every month like direct debit or would it have to be all at once?, and would they be able to wait until I get paid from my work.

Please don't hesitate if you would need any more information,
Kind Regards.
How comes you have included 2022 dates? Are these after you turned 18 and the 16-17 saver became invalid?

Divine2x

How comes you have included 2022 dates? Are these after you turned 18 and the 16-17 saver became invalid?
I just turned it 18 when I got these tickets.

A picture of it or the number?

Ill give them the ID and a screenshot of the Railcard so they can see it.

Transpennine Express
Hull Paragon Station Ferensway
Kingston-upon-Hull
North Humberside
HU1 3QX

Dear The Department of Prosecutions,

I am writing to address a regrettable incident involving the use of a 16-17 Saver Railcard in place of my still in-date 16-25 Railcard. I want to extend my sincerest apologies for any disruption my actions may have caused to the industry.

I made a stupid decision to use a 16-17 Saver Railcard with the intention of saving money for a trip to visit my mother in Durham. I now realize what I have done and would not do it again under any means necessary. I deeply regret resorting to such means to save money.

I am fully committed to ensuring that it does not happen again. I now understand the importance of the law. Rest assured; I will utilize my 16-25 Railcard exclusively for any future travels, and until the expiry date and will also renew the Railcard.

I am willing to take immediate steps to rectify my mistake. I am fully prepared to pay any amount required to settle this matter out of court and that I am keen to settle the matter without the need for court action as a conviction will ruin my future career opportunities, I will be grateful if you allow me to pay for my ticket and any admin fees that may have accumulated whilst looking into this case, I cannot give back the time that it has taken but I hope this settlement would help appease that.

Thank you for your understanding in this matter. I hope you can see that I have learned my lesson, and I will ensure this will never happen again no matter the circumstances.

I am looking forward to your reply.

Yours Sincerely,
[REDACTED]
Edited this once again, any who can proof read and edit out the stuff that is missing or incorrect would be grateful.

Welwome to the forum!

I have just now sent them a letter anything else I would need to do or just wait and see?

I have just now sent them a letter anything else I would need to do or just wait and see?

There is some time to get the money together as the Train Operating Company will take at least a few days to send a letter to you which in turn will give you a few days to reply. They will then consider your response before they write to you again which, if it contains an offer of an out of court settlement, will give you a further few days to pay the settlement offered. However do not delay in getting the money together.

If you use the search button in the top right hand corner of the page you can find a number of examples of draft letters which have been written. It is best to scroll to the bottom of suitable threads as you will then see the final version of the letter which has been "improved" by forum members suggestions.

Do not use AI to write the letter as letters written by AI invariably come over as being insincere which is not the impression you wish to give to the TOC.

Avoiding going to court is very important as even though the effect of a conviction may be minor, the court will impose additional costs of a fine and victim surcharge. You will still have to pay the TOC.

Last edited: